[net.music.synth] Akai sampler, AX80, DX7, JX3/8P

rsk@pucc-k (Wombat) (09/09/85)

	This is a reply to a bunch of things; it's all in one article
for obscure and boring reasons involving local news reconfiguration.

> From: hedger@ada-uts.UUCP
> I did find your last statement a bit puzzling however....
> why is the akai a better investment than a mirage or an emulator?????
> a mirage i can understand but surely you don't think that the akai sounds
> betteror even as good as an emulator???!!!

The Akai Sampler is about $1k with a disk drive around here; and it
plays back with 6 voices.  I just feel that rather than buying either
the Mirage or the Emulator doesn't provide the same "bang for the
buck".  The unit I fiddled with was terrific; I thought the Akai AX80
with the sampler sounded as good as either one.  If you've already got
a MIDI keyboard, why buy another just for the sampler?

As far as performance issues go, (flipping disks and all that), I don't
think anybody's unit as ideally suited for live work.  My criteria is
that if patch-switching isn't instantaneous, it won't work in a live
performance.  Admittedly, this is a rather stringent statement; but if
one uses this measure, then none of the sampling instruments are going
to cut it for live work.  This is why I don't own one...yet.

Onwards.  Brad (Srebnik), your copies of the reviews are in the mail.
Be warned that this is backwards Hoosierstan, and mail moves at the
speed of mud around here.  I thought I'd answer some of your questions
here because they might be interesting to other folks.

The AX80 built-in patches aren't all that fantastic; the ones that my
local music store did for it are much better.  The small amount of
experimentation that I've done with the box indicates that the factory
programs don't come close to exploiting the capabilities of the
instrument.  However, try preset 8 for an approximation of the sound in
"Sunset Grill".  The keyboard feels like an organ keyboard; it's very
fast, and hasn't been a problem for me even in extremely quick passages
(say, the solo in "Bodhisattva").  You can use the velocity to control
the attack, the volume, the envelope, and all sorts of stuff; to be
honest, I haven't entirely figured out everything you can do with it
yet.  I do know that some other instruments just let you control the
attack or volume and that's about it.

The Korg you saw was probably the DW-6000; latest word on the DW-8000
around here is that it will materialize in early November; anybody else
out there have different info?

As far as the AX80 vs. the DX7, the Yamaha is a superior machine.  It's
got more voices, seems to me to produce more natural, more complex
sounds; and it's been around long enough that there are a bazillion
patches for it.  On the other hand, it costs twice as much, at least in
Indy.  It's harder to program, since you have to work in the frequency
domain, which isn't too natural for most folks.  If you have the extra
bucks, it might be worth the investment.  On the other hand, you could
always but the AX80 and add a DX7-in-a-box (don't know the model number
offhand) later...I may end up doing this.

As far as the AX80 vs. the Roland JX3P or JX8P, the Akai has the
velocity sensitivity going for it; and it is 8-voice polyphonic, as
opposed to 6.  This is probably a religious issue, but I couldn't live
without 8 voices; it's hard to play double-handed rolling chords with
only 6.  It's also hard to play some of the bluesy organ stuff that I
do unless you can hold down a 4-5 note chord with 2-3 note leads on top
of it.  However, the piano preset for the JX3P is very nice (I haven't
heard the JX8P's piano) and they're coming down in price.  And again,
the Roland's have been around for a while, and lots of goodies exist
for them.

In summary, I'm really impressed with the Akai AX80; I think it's one
of the best values for the money out there.  I've yet to find anything
for close to the same price with similar features.

By the way, try routing mail for me to ihnp4!pur-ee!rsk; local
forwarding will take it from there.
--
Rich Kulawiec	rsk@pur-ee.uucp rsk@purdue.uucp rsk@purdue-asc.arpa

clelau@wateng.UUCP (Eric C.L. Lau) (09/12/85)

In article <1239@pucc-k> rsk@pucc-k.UUCP (Wombat) writes:

>...                                  On the other hand, you could
>always buy the AX80 and add a DX7-in-a-box (don't know the model number
>offhand) later...I may end up doing this.

I can't remember the model number either (TX7 or something) but from what
I recall you need a real DX7 or a MIDI-ed computer to program the thing.
Otherwise you can only play the factory patches.

			Eric Lau
			...!ihnp4!watmath!wateng!clelau

hedger@ada-uts.UUCP (09/20/85)

 the box mentioned in the first response is the tx-216/816 and yes you
do need a dx-7 to program them, but, Yamaha has now come out with the
tx-7 which is a real dx-7 expander module.......hedger

ron@BRL.ARPA (Ron Natalie) (09/25/85)

The TX7 is exactly a DX-7 expander.  It is difficult to use it without
the DX7.  I also has some extra keyboard splitting hooks for using it
as an adjunct to a DX-7 rather than with a separate MIDIboard.

-Ron