[net.music.synth] Comments/Questions from a new DX-7 owner

brad@fluke.UUCP (Brad Srebnik) (10/06/85)

Well, I've had my DX-7 for a week now, and I have some comments and questions.
In general, I'm EXTREMELY happy with it.  As far as imitating real instruments
goes, the number of believable impressions is quite high.  I'm probably
forgetting some, but the pre-set harp, harpsichord, harmonica, bells (and
whistles, too), bass, horn, snare drum, xylophone and pipe organ are VERY good.
The piano isn't too bad, and it's the best I remember hearing for a synth in
the $US1000-2000 price range.  I'm still trying to come up with a good electric
guitar, but I haven't had much luck yet (This is due, I think, to inexperience
rather than the limitations of the machine.  I did have some fun, though.  I
took one carrier with a freq. ratio of 1.00 and added another carrier that
takes a while to come in, but at a freq. ration of 1.50.  Give it a sort of
delayed feedback sound).  Have they improved the manual recently?  From the
comments on the net, I expected a piece of trash, but it's VERY good.  A
little week in the programming theory department, but as far as finding and
changing things, it's excellent.  By the way, is the article in the June 1985
issue of Keyboard on programming the DX-7 any good? Or should I buy the book
that isn't translated very well?

I can't even think of a complaint that's reasonable!  The two that come
to mind are the occasional pop heard when you have the sustain pedal on
and all sixteen voices are being used, and you attempt to play a seventeenth.
I've only really noticed this when fooling around - not when trying to play
a real song.  The other thing is that I sometimes wish that the functions
were part of the voice definition.  That's a toss-up, though, as I can see
benefits to having it either way.

Now, oh wise, experienced DX-7 owners, please help me with an answer or
two to help me learn the black art of programming the DX-7.  I'm getting
pretty good with the envelope generators and the LFO, and even picking the
algorithm to use (I think), but picking the modulation frequencies is still
beyond me.  Anyone care to give me some general practices?  Especially for
electric guitar sounds, an Elvis Costello organ, or improving up the piano
sound.

Does feedback ever have much of an effect?  I've tried it on a number of
presets and never noticed any difference.  Can anyone name a preset where
it is especially noticable?

How long do the batteries last?  Do you really need to have them replaced
at the shop?

Thanks to everyone who has helped me get this far, and if anyone who is
thinking about getting a DX-7 has any questions, I'd be happy to attempt
an answer.
			     {princeton,ulysses}!allegra -\
Brad Srebnik 			       {decwrl,qubix}!sun -\
                   {akgua,gatech,harpo,purdue,uf-crgl}!sb1 -\
{cornell,decvax,ihnp4,sdcsvax,tektronix,utcsri}!uw-beaver -- !fluke!brad
                                  {hplabs,nbires}!lbl-csam -/
               	  	     {microsoft,ssc-vax,telmatic} -/

frith@trwrdc.UUCP (Lord Frith) (10/17/85)

In article <1199@vax1.fluke.UUCP> brad@fluke.UUCP (Brad Srebnik) writes:
> Well, I've had my DX-7 for a week now, and I have some comments and questions.
> In general, I'm EXTREMELY happy with it.  As far as imitating real instruments
> goes, the number of believable impressions is quite high.  I'm probably
> forgetting some, but the pre-set harp, harpsichord, harmonica, bells (and
> whistles, too), bass, horn, snare drum, xylophone and pipe organ are VERY good.
> The piano isn't too bad, and it's the best I remember hearing for a synth in
> the $US1000-2000 price range.

How does the quality of the CX5M compare to that of the DX-7?  Is there
more or less flexibility with the CX5M (I suspect more)?
--

seismo!trwrdc!root				- Lord Frith

"And I want you"
"And I want you"