[net.music.synth] Microphone information ...

bob@ulose.UUCP ( Robert Bismuth ) (11/15/85)

<------- a useless blank line - if you got this you don't need it ------->

Though I realize that most of the discussion in this news group does not
refer to acoustic instruments, some does and so I thought I'd request some
advice regarding recording acoustic piano.

I tend to use acoustic piano in a lot of my recording but am not very
satisfied with my results. Since I am far from a recording expert, I am
probably neglecting all sorts of things by simplying using a reasonable
quality microphone ($150 range) mounted on a boom and swung over the harp
of my grand. Does anyone have any experience or tips to share with this
sort of requirement?

Since I don't have a lot of choice as to the location of the piano (it goes
where it fits ...), there is not a lot I can do about the room, so I am
specifically interested in hearing if there are any recommended microphones,
locations of microphones, number of them, etc.

I suspect this might be of general interest, but if people prefer to reply to
me by mail, I'll summarize responses on the net.

     --  bob
     (...!decvax!ulose!bob)

dmt@mtgzz.UUCP (d.m.tutelman) (11/22/85)

> I tend to use acoustic piano in a lot of my recording but am not very
> satisfied with my results. Since I am far from a recording expert, I am
> probably neglecting all sorts of things by simplying using a reasonable
> quality microphone ($150 range) mounted on a boom and swung over the harp
> of my grand. Does anyone have any experience or tips to share with this
> sort of requirement?

I had the same problem a couple of years ago, and checked with some
"experts" at the local music store.  They tried to sell me a $700 mike
that is actually three pickups that attach to the sounding board in
three places.  While I had no intention of springing for that sort
of money, a little study of the technical data for the mikes suggested
the following course of action ( which works pretty well):

I record with the top open, and TWO MIKES in close to the strings.
The idea is to get as close as possible to the strings (sharpens
crispness) without putting "holes" along the scales.  With more than
two mikes, you could get even closer.  Know the directional pattern
of your mike (cardioid is good for this), and place them so the full
"keyboard" is covered fairly smoothly.

As for the electronics behind it, I'd recommend NOT using an equalizer
to fill the "holes" produced by mike placement; you'll do funny things
to the overtones.  (I'm not saying don't use and equalizer; just don't
use it as a substitute for more mikes closer to the strings.)
However, I find that spreading the mikes over the stereo channels
produces a pleasing effect for solo piano.  (In combos, however, a
"spread" piano sounds a little strange.)

By all means, use a boom rather than mounting the mikes to the piano.
A piano-mounted mike with a good sound system gives you a deep "thump"
on each pedal release.

I bet you could do better with three "reasonable" $50 cardioid mikes
than the one "pretty good" $150 mike you use now.  It won't be as
good as the pros (or the $700 sounding board pickup), but a major
improvement over what you have now.

             		Dave Tutelman
                	Physical - AT&T Information Systems
                  		Room 3P432
                   		200 Laurel Avenue
                  		Middletown, NJ 07748
                	Logical -  ...ihnp4!mtuxo!mtgzz!dmt
             		Audible -  (201) 957 5535

nrj@drutx.UUCP (JohnsonN) (11/23/85)

In my experience, the use of 2 hyper-cardiod mikes ( like AKG 202's -
a.k.a the Duchess's Delight) with one working in close on the treble
range - about 18 inches off, and the other about 10 feet away picking up
the reflected sound off the sounding board, give a very good mix.
I don't believe in stereo close-micing of a piano... it is too gimmicky.
It is far more rewarding to capture the tonal extravagance of a piano in
good old mono, then maybe add some stereo reverb.

Nick Johnson 		ihnp4!druky!nrj		ATTISL, Denver

In article <1432@mtgzz.UUCP> dmt@mtgzz.UUCP (d.m.tutelman) writes:
> I tend to use acoustic piano in a lot of my recording but am not very
> satisfied with my results. Since I am far from a recording expert, I am
> probably neglecting all sorts of things by simplying using a reasonable
> quality microphone ($150 range) mounted on a boom and swung over the harp
> of my grand. Does anyone have any experience or tips to share with this
> sort of requirement?

I've found that using a combination of dynamic and condenser microphones
helps.  Condenser microphones have better high-frequency response, and
dynamics have better low-frequency response.  I use a relatively cheap
($39 @Radio Shack *gasp*) condenser and a Shure dynamic I've had for years, and
have been satisfied with the results.

Keith Doyle
#  {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd
#  cadovax!keithd@ucla-locus.arpa