[net.music.synth] Digital reverbs/delays ...

bob@ulose.UUCP ( Robert Bismuth ) (11/15/85)

<------  another of those un-needed blank lines, just in case  ------->

I am thing of adding some sort of digital reverb/delay to my modest home
studio. Anyone got any comments or experience with the under $500 units
I see advertised?

   -- bob
   (...!decvax!ulose!bob)

gcd@mtx5d.UUCP (George C. Davidson) (11/21/85)

> <------  another of those un-needed blank lines, just in case  ------->
>
> I am thing of adding some sort of digital reverb/delay to my modest home
> studio. Anyone got any comments or experience with the under $500 units
> I see advertised?
>
>    -- bob
>    (...!decvax!ulose!bob)

Subject: programming for midi.

 I am interested in programming specific application software for midi
 but I want to use a higher level language such as Pascal. Could anyone
 give me some details on how(parameters,interfacing,structures,etc).
 Please send me the information directly.

                                         George C. Davidson
                                         AT+T IS rm.2F501
                                         Middletown N.J. 07748
                                         phone 201-957-1707 (work)
                                               201-922-1279 (home)

jsl@potomac.UUCP (John Labovitz) (11/22/85)

> I am thing of adding some sort of digital reverb/delay to my modest home
> studio. Anyone got any comments or experience with the under $500 units
> I see advertised?
>
>    -- bob
>    (...!decvax!ulose!bob)

You won't be able to get a decent (if any) reverb for under $500.  Most of
them start at about $800.  I looked at the Yamaha (don't remember the model
number) digital reverb last nite, which sells around here (DC) for $1000,
and it's REALLY nice.  It's got all these presets, like ``large room,''
``small club,'' etc.  It also comes with a remote control.  I believe it
will also function as a normal delay, so if you're serious about getting
reverb and delay, this would probably be a good one.

However, if real reverb isn't that important, I recommend a delay by
Digitech.  I can't remember the model number -- it's something-1900.  Up to
2 seconds of delay, infinite repeat, input/output level controls, speed &
width settings, level meter (LED bargraph), CV input, phase/mix/dry out.
All inputs/outputs are 1/4" jacks.  It's got 4 rough delay settings --
flange, chorus, double, and echo, plus a find-tune control.

I'm completely satisfied with the unit.  I use it all the time, with a
variety of instruments -- bass, guitar, and vocals.  A friend uses it on his
keyboard setup.

The best part about this is the price -- lists for $260 (I think), but they
are selling here for ~$225.  I got mine for $200 because it was a demo.
--
John Labovitz		..!{rlgvax,seismo}!bdmrrr!potomac!jsl
--

tim@fisher.UUCP (Tim Snyder) (12/02/85)

> > I am thing of adding some sort of digital reverb/delay to my modest home
> > studio. Anyone got any comments or experience with the under $500 units
> > I see advertised?
> >
> >    -- bob
> >    (...!decvax!ulose!bob)
>
> You won't be able to get a decent (if any) reverb for under $500.  Most of
> them start at about $800.  I looked at the Yamaha (don't remember the model
> John Labovitz		..!{rlgvax,seismo}!bdmrrr!potomac!jsl
> --
NONSENSE!
There are some monster reverbs available for around $400.

I recently purchased an ALESIS XT.  The list is around $800, but
the unit can be had for less than $500.  It features a (rare) continuous
delay time control coupled with a "large" or "small" program
selector.  Other features include pre-delay and slapback (a quicker
pre-delay), which produce a beautiful reverberated echo; a diffusion
switch, which allows the thousands a reverb-producing delays to be
"smoothed out,"; and several eq controls, one of which, hf damp,
simulates the damping of the higher frequencies of naturally reverb-
erant spaces.  The sounds are remarkably flexible and can be uncannily
real if you so desire.  The delay times range from ultra-tiny (for
the Phil Collins bathroom drum sound, although I can't recall [intended]
the spec.) to about TEN seconds (more than you should ever need (i.e., the
God Canyon).  I have been told that ALESIS is run by a former MXR
baron.

Also nice is a Yamaha unit for around mid-$400s.  The sounds are very
real, although one has only four room sizes to select from, with
further size adjustments via equalization.  I noticed that Bill
Bruford uses one of these live, and it is likely that he can afford
a Yamaha REV-whatever (described by the other Re:-) or even a
Lexicon.

There are also some fair spring reverbs (the above are digital) for
less cash.  The only one I like is the old-standby Furman in the mid-
to low-$200s, which you should be able to find used, although
it is a bit of a dinosaur, meaning I think the extra $200-$250
for digital is justified.

In delays, there is the astounding KORG SDD 2000, which has set the
standard in its and other price ranges.  SOME features are: delay
time up to 4.3+ sec, with a freq. resp. of up to 17 kHz. for delays
under 1.092 sec (this is high for digital delays!); all the flanging,
doubling, and chorus you need; 64 programs, selectable via MIDI;
and any other delay feature most desire, including 1 to infinite
repeat and variable modulation.

What makes the unit so incredible is that it samples, so if you play
(MIDI) keyboards or even a (MIDI) digital drummer, you can trigger
the samples from them.  It even accepts note on/off, key velocity,
and pitch wheel data.  Moreover, the display is very clear and complete,
and the functions are extremely easy to access and use.  The price is
only $500 or less after discounts and before tax, title, and destination
charges.  If you plan to purchase a less expensive unit, I believe  the KORG
is worth the extra cash if you milk the cow.  Furthermore, you will
have to spend a carload extra for any unit which surpasses it.

KORG also offer a less expensive SDD 1000, which apparently does
much of the above with less ease and less programmability for
concomitantly less cash, although I haven't checked it out.

A NOTE CONCERNING DIGITAL (OR ANY) DELAYS (if you don't already know):
Don't be misled by ridiculously long (more than one second) delay times!
One rarely uses times of this lenghth in recording or live
production, so that a particular unit goes to "n seconds" is rarely
worth extra pocket lint.  Furthermore, once you ask a salesman
if he has anything which goes LONGER than 4 or so seconds, he will
know what meal you are eating and attempt to eat all the remaining lint!

If you have any more questions, comments, controversies, or elephant
flames, mail 'em or postum, and I'll help if I am able.

				      Tim Snyder
				      princeton!fisher!tim or
				      princeton!tilt!tim