[net.sf-lovers] Who is Knuth?

ross@ulowell.UUCP (Ross) (02/21/86)

> In article <529@hoptoad.uucp> laura@hoptoad.uucp (Laura Creighton) writes:
> >Due to overwhelming response:
> >
> >	Donald Knuth is a professor at Stanford University
> >(PHY@SU-AI.ARPA).  He has written three volumes of an encyclopedia of
> >Computer Science, called *The Art of Computer Programming*.  The first
> >volume is on Fundamental Algorithms, the second is on Seminumerical
> >Algorithms, and the third is on Sorting and Searching.  I don't know
> >whether Knuth is ever going to finish the series -- he originally
> >intended seven volumes, but I hear rumours that the number is going to
> >change.  And I hear rumours that he is never going to get back to the
> >project.
>
> 	Perhaps the first three volumes of the never-to-be-finished Knuth
> series are actually episodes I, II, and III of the never-to-be-finished
> Lucas Star Wars series.  :-)

	At Boskone XXIII Lucas film gave gave a presentation about up
and coming movies.  The question, "When will the next Star Wars be coming"
was posed to the speaker three times.  On the third time she answered 5-7
years.  It was ambiguous whether that would be time frame that it would
be started on or shown; the reason for this is that Lucas wants to work
on other things.  They do realize that people was to see the rest of the
Star Wars series; in fact a slide was shown with a terrorist type note,
written with cut out magazine letters, asking for Star Wars IV.

...wanginst!ulowell!ross