[net.music.synth] Seeking Kraftwerk-style group

moore@mit-eddie.UUCP (Andrew M. Moore) (11/01/85)

   I'm a fan of Kraftwerk (a German synthesizer band) but there are some things
about their music that I do not like -- much of it is TOO MUCH synth. without
enough beat.  Their "THE MAN MACHINE" album/tape is the closest they come to
combining synthesizers and rhythm, but I would appreciate it if anyone could
suggest another group that specializes in combining synthesizers with beat,
and not much vocals.  Any suggestions?

-drew

cihla@uwvax.UUCP (James Cihla) (11/01/85)

>    I'm a fan of Kraftwerk (a German synthesizer band) but there are some things
> about their music that I do not like -- much of it is TOO MUCH synth. without
> enough beat.  Their "THE MAN MACHINE" album/tape is the closest they come to
> combining synthesizers and rhythm, but I would appreciate it if anyone could
> suggest another group that specializes in combining synthesizers with beat,
> and not much vocals.  Any suggestions?
>
> -drew

	I am also a Kraftwerk fan and find their albums "TRANS-EUROPE EXPRESS"
and "COMPUTER WORLD" very danceable if that is what you mean by beat.  Also,
some work ( I can remember off-hand ) done by Klaus Schulze has some good
beats.   As far as bands that specialize in this certain style I would not
know, but would also like to find out.  Anyone else know anything?

Thanks

Jim

rich@aoa.UUCP (Rich Snow) (11/26/85)

Summary:there's lots more
Keywords:records,tapes,cds

You ask for more Kraftwerk style musics?

There's lots more...  Check out Tangerine Dream, especially their
Poland live double LP.  They are entirely synth oriented, this can
be a drag, and some of their LPs are depressing...

Of course there's lots of Brian Eno LPs around, generaly in two forms
- the more POP oriented stuff (if you can call it that)
Here Come the Warm Jets is an example, and space music
-Music for Airports, music for taxicabs, music for refridgerators, etc.
(No Pussyfooting is a goood example).

Also many fine albums with Eno: Eno, Moebius, Rodelius (the group);
801 and 801 live.  One should not forget Phil Manzanera, of course
he likes guitars tooo.  Oh yeah, and GO live from Paris (Klaus Shultze,
Stomu Yamashta, Stevie Winwood, Al Dimeola etc.)

Another synth only LP which I dearly love is Ypsilon in Malasian Pale,
by Edgar Froese.  Edgar is one of the members of Tangerine Dream.
This is not BEAT based.

For BEAT try: David Byrne / Brian Eno: My Life in the Bush of Ghosts.

And if you still like Emerson Lake and Palmer and want more, find
Illusions on a Double Dimple by yet another German band "Triumvirat"

My personal vote for the best ever background music -the soundtrack
to Local Hero by Mark Knopfler (dire straights).

Keep Listening!
                                rich snow

what are your favorite synth/space LPs?

sorensen@amdcad.UUCP (Tim Olson) (11/28/85)

In article <352@aoa.UUCP>, rich@aoa.UUCP (Rich Snow) writes:
> For BEAT try: David Byrne / Brian Eno: My Life in the Bush of Ghosts.
>
> And if you still like Emerson Lake and Palmer and want more, find
> Illusions on a Double Dimple by yet another German band "Triumvirat"
>
> My personal vote for the best ever background music -the soundtrack
> to Local Hero by Mark Knopfler (dire straights).
>
> Keep Listening!
>                                 rich snow
>
> what are your favorite synth/space LPs?

	How about:

Synergy (Larry Fast):	Sequencer,
			Electronic Realizations for Rock Orchestra

Walter/Wendy Carlos:	Switched on Bach I, II
			Well Tempered Synthesizer

	Even though they are old, I still enjoy listening to them
(especially Sequencer).

	Tim Olson
	Advanced Micro Devices

	inhp4!amdcad!sorensen

co175fat@sdcc3.UUCP (Kevin Baird) (12/05/85)

In article <6954@amdcad.UUCP> sorensen@amdcad.UUCP (Tim Olson) writes:
>In article <352@aoa.UUCP>, rich@aoa.UUCP (Rich Snow) writes:
>> For BEAT try: David Byrne / Brian Eno: My Life in the Bush of Ghosts.
>>                                 rich snow
>>
>> what are your favorite synth/space LPs?
>
>	How about:
>
>Synergy (Larry Fast):	Sequencer,
>			Electronic Realizations for Rock Orchestra
>
>Walter/Wendy Carlos:	Switched on Bach I, II
>			Well Tempered Synthesizer

>	Tim Olson
>	Advanced Micro Devices
>
>	inhp4!amdcad!sorensen

Here are a few of my spacey albums:

Oxygene (Jean-Michel Jarre, France, easy to find)
Iroha (Stomu Yamashta, Japan, import, hard to find, but possible)
Galaxie Cygnus-A (Robert Schroeder, Germany, import)
Albedo 0.39 (Vangelis, domestic)
Ambient #1, Music for Airports (Brian Eno, USA or UK (not sure), domestic)
Ki (Kitaro, Japan, import)
Planetary Unfolding (Michael Stearns, USA)

Kevin Baird
sdcsvax!sdcc3!co175fat

tomp@amiga.UUCP (Tom Pohorsky) (12/13/85)

This message is empty.