[net.music.synth] Sequencerless Drum Box

andrews@ubc-cs.UUCP (Jamie Andrews) (12/10/85)

     Someone may have asked something similar recently, so apologies in
advance & I'll keep it short.
     Does anyone make a drum synth that's generally available, which has
NO sequencer?  *All* the ones I've seen have one! -- unnecessary for my needs.
I'm sure there is such a beast, but what are the net's recommendations on
which one?  I would even prefer one with NO keyboard, but a MIDI input, so I
could play it or program a sequence on it from my Poly-800 if need be.

--Jamie.
...!ihnp4!alberta!ubc-vision!ubc-cs!andrews
"And four months later she died of typhus in Corfu"

In article <123@ubc-cs.UUCP> andrews@ubc-cs.UUCP (Jamie Andrews) writes:

>     Does anyone make a drum synth that's generally available, which has
>NO sequencer?  *All* the ones I've seen have one! -- unnecessary for my needs.
>I'm sure there is such a beast, but what are the net's recommendations on
>which one?  I would even prefer one with NO keyboard, but a MIDI input, so I
>could play it or program a sequence on it from my Poly-800 if need be.
>--Jamie.

I'd kind of doubt it, most people probably find a drum synth useless without
a sequencer.  In the modern world of MIDI there is a possible use for sequencer-
less synths, but they are getting pretty cheap either way so what's the
difference?  I just picked up the Yamaha RX-21, a $250.00 box that uses
digitized live drums, MIDI, and a pretty good sequencer (at least to me, but
then I've been using the Mattel Synsonics up till now).  Thru MIDI, you can
individually adjust the loudness of each note, etc.  It has 3 toms, kick drum,
snare, open-high-hat, closed-hi-hat, cymbal, and clap.  I've been particularly
pleased with the high-hat sound, you can merge from open to closed or from
closed to open quite cleanly, making a darn good high-hat sound.  Toms and
bass are real good, the cymbal is ok, but I'd prefer a bit more sizzle, and
though the snare is pretty good, I'd prefer a little longer decay.  From the
block diagram that is included with the box, it seems that the sound prom
is completely seperate from the program prom, and so it might be able to
support alternate sound proms, though you'll have to figure out how they
are storing the information (PCM in some form).  Though I've found the
claps useful, I'd like to have the option of more bizzare sounds such as
gunshot, oxygen tank dropped on concrete, etc.

Keith Doyle
#  {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd
#  cadovax!keithd@ucla-locus.arpa

tre@sdcarl.UUCP (Tom Erbe) (12/17/85)

In article <987@cadovax.UUCP> keithd@cadovax.UUCP (Keith Doyle) writes:
>		....I just picked up the Yamaha RX-21, a $250.00 box that uses
>digitized live drums, MIDI, and a pretty good sequencer (at least to me, but
>then I've been using the Mattel Synsonics up till now).
>
>					....it seems that the sound prom
>is completely seperate from the program prom, and so it might be able to
>support alternate sound proms, though you'll have to figure out how they
>are storing the information (PCM in some form).  Though I've found the
>claps useful, I'd like to have the option of more bizzare sounds such as
>gunshot, oxygen tank dropped on concrete, etc.

	I have heard that all the Yamaha machines use serial ROMs to store
the sound information, which makes it difficult to put your own sounds in the
box.  (Most commercial alternate sound chips are on byte-wide EPROMs).

--
	thomas r. erbe
	{ucbvax,ihnp4,akgua,hplabs,sdcsvax}!sdcarl!tre