[net.music.synth] I'm looking for synthesizer books

bruns@milano.UUCP (12/13/85)

First of all, thanks to everyone who has been posting articles comparing
low-cost synthesizers.  I've got a Fostex 4-track cassette recorder and
am hoping to get a synth soon.  I don't know much about the basic principles
behind synths, and would like to find a good book or other reference
information.  To be more specific, I'm interested in how to use the controls
of a synthesizer to get certain sounds; I'm not interested in the electronics
involved.  Please mail me pointers to references.

Thanks,

- Glenn Bruns

hedger@ada-uts.UUCP (12/23/85)

Keyboard magazine has published a series of books which are basically
reprinted articles from their magazine with a few extras thrown.....
these are titled...'synthesizer basics', 'synthesizer techniques' and
'computers and synthesizers'. I would recommend these books to a
beginner. They offer information about electronic music (synths,sequencers,
drum machines, home recording, etc) from the basics, and cover a variety
of artists and disciplines. They cost about $9.00 apiece and are
informative and fun to read.

rl@ucsfcgl.UUCP (Robert Langridge%CGL) (01/02/86)

In article <262@milano.UUCP> bruns@milano.UUCP writes:

>... I don't know much about the basic principles
>... I'm not interested in the electronics involved.
>... Please mail me pointers to references.

"The Musician and the Micro" by Ray Hammond published by Blandford
Press, Poole, Dorset, England in 1983 is obviously dated, but is still
a good introduction (though definitely "Brit" and "pop" oriented :-)

There must be a book along the same lines, but more up-to-date.
I'd be interested to hear of one.

Bob Langridge			    rl@ucsfcgl (ARPA, UUCP, BITNET)
Computer Graphics Laboratory
University of California		     	    +1 415 476 2630
San Francisco  CA  94143		    	    +1 415 476 1540