[net.music.synth] Orphaned Response

shep@datacube.UUCP (03/18/85)

What are these C-music and music4bf? Can we here more? I'm interested
in melody/pattern generation algorithms to patch onto the midi code I've
written. Anybody else hacking 'C' for midi? I have a superset of functions
over something like a Roland MSQ-700 running on a 68000. I am currently
adapting out the kludges made for the Whitesmith compiler and adjusting
things to run under OS9. OS9 is "unix-like" in many ways; and one of
the fallouts will be a driver package for the Roland MPU-401(s).

Shep Siegel     ima!inmet!mirror!datacube!shep
617-535-6644    decvax!cca!mirror!datacube!shep
Datacube Inc.   decvax!genrad!wjh12!mirror!datacube!shep
Peabody, Ma.    {mit-eddie,cyb0vax}!mirror!datacube!shep

gtaylor@lasspvax.UUCP (04/25/85)

(Thomas E. J. LMO4/B5 279-5421 ECL Test) writes:

>Did you see that show of movies on public TV saturday night or sunday night
>about Brian Eno, Harry Partch, and that percussionist, van Teigham?

Better than tha, did any of your net denizens TAPE it? I'd be very interested
in seeing the Eno video (I know the Van Tiegham and the Partch ones pretty
well-I think that the Partch is in fact a film transferred to video).

Once I was young:once I was smart:now I'm living on the edge of my nerves:-Japan
Gregory Alan Taylor:162 Clark Hall:Cornell University:Ithaca,NY 14850:USA
USENET:		{cmcl2,decvax,ihnp4}!cornell!lasspvax!gtaylor
ARPANET:	gtaylor@lasspvax.arpa
BITNET:		gtaylor@crnlthry.bitnet

nebula@sftig.UUCP (04/26/85)

> I am looking for a pointer to technical information on the MIDI
> interface..has a formal standard been published, or at least a
> good technical article explaining the protocols.  I'm looking for
> the type of information that would permit one to write their own
> interface software.
>
> --
> Donn S. Fishbein, MD (N3DNT) ..!harpo!seismo!nbs-amrf!neurad!donn (301)496-6801

A copy of the MIDI specification can be obtained from Sequential Circuits in San
Jose, CA for $1.50.  The complete address is in the most recent issue of "COMPUTER
MUSIC" by MIT press.  This specification should enable an experienced programmer to
generate functional software.  Although I haven't actually seen the spec.  I do
suspect however, that it is more hardware oriented; intended for VAR types to gen-
erate workable interfaces, "music boxes" and the like.

As far as good technical articles go, I haven't seen any published; only articles
talking about it.  I should think that there are people on this net who have done
enough MIDI programming that would be able to post (an) article(s) about:

	1. Helpfull hints
	2. Techncal information
	3. General information

Last thought,  I haven't seen any references on this net to the above mentioned
publcation.  I have subscribed to it for about 4 years and find it to be an infor-
mative, interesting, pertinent publication.  So, if synthesizers, computers, psycho-
acoustics, psychology, composition etc. interest you, then check it out!  Sorry if
this sounds of a commercial, but I find this subject of great interest and really
do feel motivated by it.

					Doug Donahue
					AT&T Bell Labs
					attunix!dr_d
					201 522 6175

cfs@sfmag.UUCP (04/30/85)

> Subj; what/where is CLEM?
>
> 	Does anyone know the correct name and address of an organization
> called CLEM?
>
> 	Stands for something like 'Canadian League of Electronic Musicians'.
> Something like that.
>
> 	Any pointers?
>
> 							,Karl

CLEM stands for the Contact List of Electronic Music.  It is published on
a non-profit basis by Alex Douglas in Canada.  It is, just as its name
says, a list of contacts for just everything having to do with electronic
music.  It lists everything from publications (newsletters to major
magazines), radio stations that play electronic music, electronic
music clubs and organizations, and a list of just about every electronic
music artist (independent and those signed with a record label) who
have tapes and records for sale and where to get them.  In short, it's
very comprehensive.

CLEM is published about twice a year.  The last issue was 81 pages.
Subscription rates are as follows (the following rates are copied
verbatim from page 6 of the Fall 1984 issue of CLEM):

/* Begin Verbatim Copy */

	U.S.A.:		$12.00 - US funds using a US postal money order
			$13.00 - US funds using a personal check or bank
				 money order
			$14.00 - Canadian funds using a bank money order

	Canada:		$12.00 - Use a postal money order or personal check

	Overseas:	$18.00 - Mailed airmail, money in Canadian funds,
				 easiest is a postal money order, if you use
				 a bank money order it MUST be drawn on a
				 Canadian bank.  Alex says he will accept
				 your currency equivalent to $18 but make
				 sure to register the letter.

	ALL money orders and checks should be made out to:

		"Alex Douglas - CLEM"

	At the moment the subscription will last for 3 issues of CLEM, this
	depends on their size.

	The address to write to is:

		CLEM
		Attn: Alex Douglas
		P.O. Box 86010, N. Vancouver
		British Columbia, Canada
				V7L 4J5

/* End Verbatim Copy */

It's probably best to use a postal money order if you're outside Canada
as Alex says personal checks can otherwise take 3 weeks to clear.  Also
Alex says all personal checks must have your name and address imprinted
on them, not just written in.

As a final note, I think it's a great contact list and well worth the money.

Curt Schimmel

P.S.  Feel free to mail to me if there are any other questions about CLEM.

shep@datacube.UUCP (07/09/85)

>My friend and I have done a lot of work with decks like the Tascam (such
>as the Fostex) and the configuration that we use involves using and old
>dbx(tm) stereo noise reduction. This helps to cut down on a lot of the
>noise that you get from the preamp section of most of these small decks.

	One of the nice things about the Tascam widget is that it has
the dBx codecs built in to the unit. You can switch them in/out for all
four channels. This is great since one of the drawbacks to "casual" users
of dBx when using an external codec is getting the gains and hf-lift lined
up. By keeping it one device, in this case the Portastudio, there is little
chance of gross mistracking unless little fingers begin to reach inside the
deck.
	I've been real happy with my Portastudio for playing around at home.
It's great for laying down riffs and working them out. I have a bunch
of MIDI machines and a few guitars. By laying tape sync on an outer track
and using an appropriate MIDI widgetizer, you can keep all your keyboards,
samplers, and drum machines first generation onto your final mix! This
leaves the other tracks open for guitars and vocals.
	This method is great since you can spend eternity working out
your groove with MIDI and "real" instruments; walk into your local 24-track
studio; and lay-up to the 24-track your regenerated timecode. If you
care about the sound, you can keep all the MIDIfied stuff as MIDI code
`till remix!
	Anyhow, I like my Portastudio. It functions well as a mid-fi
recorder. It records timecode and/or tapesync, which is important for
my world. My only gripe was that it came from the factory with a poor
lineup.

Shep Siegel                    ihnp4!datacube!shep
Datacube Inc.        ima!inmet!mirror!datacube!shep
617-535-6644         decvax!cca!mirror!datacube!shep
4 Dearborn Rd.       decvax!genrad!wjh12!mirror!datacube!shep
Peabody, Ma. 01960   {mit-eddie,cyb0vax}!mirror!datacube!shep

hedger@ada-uts.UUCP (09/04/85)

I'm sorry but I have to post my answer to your poll as a response since
we don't have an intelligent mailer here.....
I own the following equipment:
1 Rhodes Chroma
1 Korg Poly-61
1 Roland TR-909 drum machine
1 Teac Porta studio 244
I haven't midi'd my keyboards yet, but that is definately in the near future.
also just over the horizon is probably a p.c. and software and possibly a
dedicated hardware sequencer and in the long run some more sophisticated
recording gear.
keith hedger - intermetrics
ihnp4!inmet!ada-uts!hedger

peterb@pbear.UUCP (09/07/85)

Ok, here's my setup that I have running:

Ensoniq Mirage  |
Korg Poly-61M   |==== All MIDI'd
Korg Poly-800   |
Roland TR-707   |

DigiTech RDS1900
Tascam PortaOne

And and untimate support system to keep it all in place...

What I am thinkin' of getting next is either a roland MIDI keyboard
controller, or the low-cost yamaha electric piano with a real feel that has
MIDI.

Peter Barada
{ihnp4!inmet|{harvard|cca}!ima}!pbear!peterb

rwn@iham1.UUCP (Bob Neumann) (09/10/85)

I've also had trouble responding to the survey so I'm posting the synth
equipment that I own as some others have.

I currently use:

Oberheim OB-8
Oberheim Xpander
Oberheim DSX Sequencer
Oberheim DMX Drum Machine
Arp Axxe
Arp SE-4 String Ensemble
Roland SVC-350 Rack Mount Vocoder
Wurlitzer Elec. Piano
Hammond X-5 Organ with 760 Leslie

I use a TASCAM Model 38 for recording.

I do not use the Hammond or the ARP Axxe live anymore.  I will
probably retire the Wurlitzer and the ARP String Ensemble
If I ever get a sampling machine.

			Bob Neumann

steve@syne (12/01/85)

Put me on the list for DX-7 patch exchange!  I suggest that someone collect
patches and distribute them to a "mailing list".  I realize that making a
suggestion like this is the next best thing to volunteering, so I am prepared
to do it - but as a last resort.  Anyone else?  I sent a patch to someone who
was going to do this for 6-trak/multi-trak machines some time ago, but never
heard back.  Please be sure you want to do this if you volunteer!

As to sending MIDI over the phone, I suspect it would not require much more
than signal/level conversion and baud rate change.  But for uucp use, I think
a character-oriented notation would be more useful (combined with a char-form
to MIDI conversion program in your local computer?).

				Steve Parker
				(infoswx,texsun)!syne!steve

hedger@.UUCP (12/20/85)

Well if you are going to invest money in a dx7 like controller/sound
module combination....why not spend the money on a real dx7 and add
a module? I would think that the cost would be in the same neighborhood
and then you would have two sound producing keyboards. One other
note....I was told by a salesman that you need a dx7 or cx5m computer
to program a tx7 .....anybody know the story?
ihnp4!inmet!ada-uts!hedger

shep@datacube.UUCP (12/22/85)

>/**** datacube:net.music.synt / caip!hedger /  8:31 am  Dec 20, 1985 ****/
>note....I was told by a salesman that you need a dx7 or cx5m computer
>to program a tx7 .....anybody know the story?
>/* ---------- */

The TX7 requires some means of external control. MIDI hacks will love
the fact that you can simply buy a TX7 and start swinging system
exclusive codes at it to control DX-format voices. Lacking the ability
to write your own MIDI code, you -do- need a DX7 or similar to send the
appropriate system exclusive codes.

One nice thing about the TX7, which makes it a great DX7 add-on, is that
it has 32 Function memories in addition to the Voice memories. The
Function memories hold the controller modulation parameters that are
common to all voices on the DX. Thus you can program and recall
say, a mod/bend setting for your "Steinberger Bass" patch, and another
one for your "B/C Whistle" patch, and have the Function parameters
recalled with the Voice params.

I started off with the TX7, and only recently bought a DX7 because I
became an "FM operator junkie" in search of more operators and a
velocity keyboard! The TX7 worked fine with my Juno106 and some simple
68000/OS9 based code to edit the TX7 parameters. The manual for the TX7
is complete in describing the protocol for setting/getting parameters.

Shep Siegel                    UUCP: [ihnp4 | mirror]!datacube!shep
Datacube Inc.; 4 Dearborn Rd.; Peabody, Ma. 01960; +1 617 535 6644

lbl@druhi.UUCP (LocklearLB) (12/23/85)

>One other note....I was told by a salesman that you need a dx7 or cx5m computer
>to program a tx7 .....anybody know the story?
>ihnp4!inmet!ada-uts!hedger

The TX7 has some features that optimize its use with a DX7.  However, if
you have a computer that can talk MIDI, you can program the TX7.  Of course,
you need to appropriate software to do this.

Barry Locklear
AT&T Informations Systems Labs
Denver, CO
ihnp4!druhi!lbl

ron@BRL.ARPA (Ron Natalie) (12/23/85)

TX-7's are roughly half the price of DX-7's.

It is impossible to program the voice parameters (purple key functions)
on a TX-7 without either a DX-7, or some midi device that knows how to
handle the DX specific functions.

=Ron

aurenz@uiucuxc.CSO.UIUC.EDU (01/16/86)

/* Written  2:54 pm  Jan  3, 1986 by suhina@kodak.UUCP in uiucuxc:net.music.synth */
/* ---------- "multitrack recording info wanted" ---------- */
I am looking for information on some low priced multitrack
cassette recorders for home use. I have been looking at
the Fostex X-15 and Yamaha's MT44D recorder with their
RM602 mixer. Any information about these or other similar
units will be greatly appreciated.
/* End of text from uiucuxc:net.music.synth */