[net.music.synth] synth shopping...and Oberheim synth questions

tim@fisher.UUCP (Tim Snyder) (01/30/86)

> an Oberheim Xpander or Matrix-6 (a Matrix 12 is twice the voices, but
> do poliphony with arbitrary split/layering.  The Xpander and Matrix-6
> do 6 voices (the Xpander has no keyboard of it's own).  The Matrix-12

> 	Stephen Uitti, Purdue University.  ach@pucc-j

So, the Xpander is simply a Matrix-6 without keyboard?
When you say "do 6 voices," do you mean six voices (patches) layered
    on a single key?
How arbitrary is the layering and splitting:
  Can one split the keyboard to six sections?
  Can it be, say, three sections, two voices each?
What are the limitations of "polyphonic" (i.e., how many keys at once?),
    and is this a function of the splits and layerings?
What do these three items cost?

                                        Woomera,
					Tim Snyder

ins_adjb@jhunix.UUCP (Daniel Jay Barrett) (02/01/86)

There has been recent discussion about the various Oberheim products.
I thought I'd clear up the confusion.  I have no affilation with
Oberheim except as a Matrix-12 owner.

All of the following products are multi-timbral, i.e. every voice
can play an entirely different patch, and every voice is separately
accessible by MIDI.

First came the XPANDER.  It is a 6-voice keyboardless expander, with
the most sophisticated analog voice ever devised (in my opinion).
Every voice has 2 VCO's, a 15-mode VCF (lowpass, highpass, bandpass,
notch, and phase-shift modes, in various combinations), 15 VCA's,
5 LFO's, 5 DADSR envelope generators (the first "D" is "delay"),
a lag processor (portamento), 3 tracking generators (to produce
non-linear tracking of any signal), 4 ramp generators (like envelope
generators with just ATTACK), and FM.  I've seen the Xpander for
around $1900.  You can split whatever keyboard controller you are
using in 3 (possibly overlapping) places, and assign any of the 6
voices to any of the "zones", as they are called.  The Xpander
recognizes velocity, release-velocity, and pressure.

Next came the MATRIX-12.  It is a 12-voice instrument with the exact
same voice type as the Xpander.  It has a keyboard, however, and
it is 5 octaves, non-weighted, and responds to velocity and release
velocity (pressure option available "soon").  The Matrix-12 allows for
6 keyboard "zones", with any voice assigned to any one of them.

Both the Matrix-12 and the Xpander are "compatible":  you can send patches
from one to the other.  They both store 100 "single patches" (all voices
on the same patch) and 100 "multi-patches" (each voice plays any of the
100 single-patches).  I got my Matrix for $3700.

Then came the MATRIX-6, a totally different beast.  The Matrix-6 has
a less extensive voice, with just lowpass filtering (maybe highpass
too, I forget).  It has a 5-octave, unweighted, velocity & pressure
& release velocity keyboard.  It lists for $1595 or so.  It stores
100 single patches and 50 multi-patches.  It is not compatible with
the Xpander or Matrix-12.

In addition, there is now a rackmount version of the Matrix-6, minus
the keyboard.  There is also a soundless keyboard controller, the XK,
which can be used with any MIDI instrument.

The strength of the Oberheim line lies in its MODULATION capabilities.
Put simply, anything can modulate anything.  You can have LFO's modulating
the speed of an envelope's attack, while a pitch-bend lever modulates
the speed of a second LFO which modulates the depth of the first LFO,
which itself is modulated by................(ad infinitum).

The capabilities of these instruments (particularly the Matrix-12) are
much too involved to go into detail about in this posting.  My advice to
you if you are considering one of these instruments is: (1) Get the
manual first!  Oberheim will sell you one, or the store may let you
borrow a copy.  (2) Have a good feel for analog synthesis already.  These
beasts take time to tame!

Anyone with questions can e-mail me.  I love to talk about this stuff
(obviously!!!!!).

--
Daniel J. Barrett
Dept. of Electrical Engineering & Computer Science

ach@pucc-h (Stephen Uitti) (02/04/86)

In article <1372@fisher.UUCP> tim@fisher.UUCP (Tim Snyder) writes:
>> an Oberheim Xpander or Matrix-6 (a Matrix 12 is twice the voices, but
>> do poliphony with arbitrary split/layering.  The Xpander and Matrix-6
>> do 6 voices (the Xpander has no keyboard of it's own).  The Matrix-12
>
>> 	Stephen Uitti, Purdue University.  ach@pucc-j
>
>So, the Xpander is simply a Matrix-6 without keyboard?
	A Matrix-6 is (in my understanding) an Xpander with a
keyboard.  See my later digressions.

>When you say "do 6 voices," do you mean six voices (patches) layered
>    on a single key?
>How arbitrary is the layering and splitting:
>  Can one split the keyboard to six sections?
>  Can it be, say, three sections, two voices each?
>What are the limitations of "polyphonic" (i.e., how many keys at once?),
>    and is this a function of the splits and layerings?

	What I really mean is that there are 6 voices, up to 6
sounds at once.  These can be doing the same patch, or differant
patches.  Thus in the Xpander, you can have 6 voice poliphony on one
patch, or 3 voice poliphony on two patches, or 4 voices on one patch
with 2 voices on 2 seperate patches, or...  You can also do unison
effects, where more than one voice of the same patch layer.
I'd rather not tree out the posibilities.
	This is a differant concept from oscillators:  The Xpander
has two VCO's (oscillators) per voice.  It also has billions of other
things per voice, more so than any other analog synth I've seen.
	This is more versitile than say a Prophet T-8, where you have
8 voices that can be configured:
one patch with 8 voice poliphony
two patches, with 4 voice poliphony either:
	on halves of the keyboard seperated by the split point
	doubled, one voice from each patch on each key.
unison, all 8 voices on one patch sounding on the one key
split unsion, half of the keyboard is unsion, the other
half my either be unison or 4 voice poly
	It's differant from a DX-7 in that the split/layerings don't
have to be programed into the patches (at least not the patches that
make up the sounds).  There are patches, called multi-patches, that
allow these to be conveniently changed.
	It's also differant in that voice groups can be assigned seperate
MIDI channels in either poly or omni mode.

>What do these three items cost?
	I don't have prices for them all, since I was only
interested in the Matrix-12.  It lists (i think) for $5495.  I
picked mine up for around $3,000.  The other machines are cheaper.
The Xpander is more than half.  I think the Matrix-6 is closer to
half.
> Woomera,
> Tim Snyder
	My experience is with the Matrix-12, not the Matrix-6.
First came the Xpander, a 6 voice MIDI only machine.  Then the
Matrix-12, a 12 voice machine (two Xpanders) with 5 octave
keyboard.  Then Matrix-6.  My understanding is that a Matrix-6 is an
Xpander with keyboard.  The Xpander appeared when MIDI was just
getting underway.  It therefore has control voltage inputs as well
as MIDI.  The Matrix-12 doesn't have these.  The Xpander also has 6
audio outputs (one for each voice) as well as mono and stereo
outputs.  The Matrix-12 has only mono and stereo outputs.  There's a
rumor that you can have the 12 individual outputs added to your
Matrix-12.  It's (to me) not needed, since there is considerable
programable internal mixing available within the Xpander or
Matrix-12.  This includes 7 position panning of each voice (Left,
L2, L1, Mid, R1, R2, Right), and choices on voice assignment:
rotate, etc.  Multipatches (patches that control groups of single
patches (the sounds)) let you deal with these effectively.  Besides,
my Pevey mixer is running out of inputs.  The Matrix-6 is a newer,
cheaper machine.  If anything, it has less than the Xpander, in
terms of capabilities.
	I'm interested in the guy who said that MPS and a multitrack
didn't do the job.  Something about how the multitrack does MIDI?
It is doubtful that this would be a problem with the Xpander.  Even
my brain-damaged first generation MIDI/4 from passport does multi
part stuff correctly.  I played a 4 part harmony (almost a hymn)
into my MIDI/4 program one line at a time into seperate tracks of
the MIDI/4.  Later (I bought the Matrix-12) and played the four
tracks to seperate MIDI channels, and had the sound play on four
differant patches, each had 3 voices to work with (though never
needed more than two - and only needed two because each line was
played in a slurred style).  Thus the "soprano" line was played on a
piano, the "alto" line was played on a harpsicord, the "tenor" line
was played on bells, and the "bass" line was played on trumpets.
Voice volume balancing was easy to do (no patch editing - just a
simple voice level control).  It was easy to pan the voices to
differant parts of the stereo image.  It would have been just as
easy to have played one line on my DX-7, one on my T-8, and two on
the Matrix.  The DX-7 and T-8 pan and relative volume being
accomplished on the mixing board.
	I'd go on, but it'd just sound like "My axe is better
because...", and I just wanted to mention it as a possibility for
investigation.  I've probably overdone it as it is.
	Steve Uitti