[net.music.synth] Yamaha TX216 vs TX816

kish@caip.RUTGERS.EDU (Bill Kish) (03/21/86)

Can anyone tell me exactly what is the difference between a Yamaha TX216
and a Yamaha TX816 ?  My current understanding is that the TX816 is eight
DX7's minus the keyboard(s) and the TX216 is two DX7's minus the keyboard(s).
Is it possible to buy a TX216 and then buy six TX tone generator modules
until you have the exact equivalent of a TX816 ?

Also, does anyone know if Yamaha plans to make the DX5 available in the U.S. ?

Thanks,
Bill Kish

djg@well.UUCP (David Julian Gray) (03/23/86)

You're right.
The TX216 can be expanded to an 816 by the
addition of six modules, and yes, they indeed
consist of same the sound generation guts as
the DX7.
I know a few folks with DX5's.  As far as I know they are
available in the US.   Check with Yamaha:

Yamaha International Corporation
PO Box 6600
Buena Park, CA  90622
(714) 522-9152

pector@ihuxw.UUCP (Pector) (03/24/86)

> Can anyone tell me exactly what is the difference between a Yamaha TX216
> and a Yamaha TX816 ?  My current understanding is that the TX816 is eight
> DX7's minus the keyboard(s) and the TX216 is two DX7's minus the keyboard(s).
> Is it possible to buy a TX216 and then buy six TX tone generator modules
> until you have the exact equivalent of a TX816 ?
>
> Also, does anyone know if Yamaha plans to make the DX5 available in the U.S. ?
>
> Thanks,
> Bill Kish

Bill,

The tone generator modules used by the TX216/816 are called TF1s.  They
are practically identical in function to the TX7s in that they have 32 voice
and 32 performance memories (as opposed to the DX7's 32 voice and one per-
formance memory).  The TF1s are about 60% or so of the price of the TX7s.
However, the TX216 (rack plus two TF1s) costs more than two TX7s.  The
cost advantage in fact does not favor the TF1s until you need more than
three TX7s/TF1s.  The moral:  if you need more than 3 TX7s/DX7s, consider
getting a MIDI keyboard controller (Yamaha KX88/KX76) plus the TX216 plus
however many additional TF1s you need.

In regard to your question about whether Yamaha will be selling DX5s in
the USA, I am a very pleased owner of a DX5!  The DX5 is essentially a
76-key MIDI keyboard with the equivalent of two TX7s built in.  I got mine
11/29/85 at the Sound Post in Mt. Prospect, Illinois.  However, if you
can't get a significant discount on the DX5, I would recommend checking
the cost of a KX88 (88 piano weighted keys MIDI keyboard controller) plus
a TX216 (or instead, two TX7s) as the economics can easily swing in
favor of the latter combination.

					Scott Pector
					ihnp4!ihuxw!pector

gibson@unc.UUCP (Bill Gibson) (03/26/86)

In article <824@well.UUCP> djg@well.UUCP (David Julian Gray) writes:
>I know a few folks with DX5's.  As far as I know they are
>available in the US.

I must have missed the original posting, but I infer from the above
statement that there is some question about DX5 availability in the
states.

When I was looking for one last year, a salesman told me that a small
number (I think 200) had been shipped to the US originally because
Yamaha wasn't sure they would sell. This salesman (Bill at Rhythm
City in Atlanta) had gotten several of the US shipment; in fact, when
I was looking for one, his was the only store I could find that had
them in stock.

Supposedly, Yamaha was going to send a second shipment at the beginning
of this year. I suspect that this has already arrived, since I saw a
DX5 in a local store a month or 2 ago.

Bill Gibson
gibson@unc                   ...[akgua,decvax,philabs]!mcnc!unc!gibson