[net.music.synth] Oberheim Matrix 6

markh@rtech.UUCP (Mark Hanner) (03/16/86)

anyone out there own an oberheim matrix 6? i am dangerously
close to buying one of these gizmos, and would like to hear
any opinions...

--
cheers,
mark hanner

ach@pucc-h (Stephen Uitti) (03/19/86)

In article <157@rtech.UUCP> markh@rtech.UUCP writes:
>anyone out there own an oberheim matrix 6? i am dangerously
>close to buying one of these gizmos, and would like to hear
>any opinions...
>mark hanner
>markh@rtech.ARPA
>..ucbvax!mtxinu!rtech!markh
>		"there is a motorcycle in new mexico." -r.brautigan

	There is a review of the Matrix 6 in a Keyboard Magazine (It
couldn't have been more than 2 or 3 months ago).
	(The Keyboard reviews are the best.  They generally require
several readings, due to the amount of info-per-word ratios.)
	I have a Matrix-12, which is pretty awesome.  (It's
incredible, even when compared to my Sequential Circuits Prophet T-8
and Yamaha DX-7.)  The Matrix-6 is missing some of the sound making
versatility stuff from the Xpander.  The Keyboard review talks about
this.  It didn't sound like it's missing too much.  One thing that
I'd miss is that you can't do differant patches on each voice.  It
also doesn't have as many buttons, etc.  as the Xpander/Matrix-12,
so the user interface becomes more tedious (but probably not any
worse than, say a DX-7).  Still, it's less expensive (like the
review says, this has been one the big reasons people stopped buying
modular equipement) and pretty versatile.
	One bias to be aware of:  it's typical to compare the
Matrix-6 with the Xpander/Matrix-12.  True, these are "big sisters
(brothers?)" to the six, but it's hardly a fair comparison.  You end
up hearing only about what it doesn't have.  These are mostly
features only found on the Xpander/Matrix-12.  My Prophet T-8 won't
hold up too well against a Matrix-12 (feature for feature) either.
Yet I still use the T-8's keyboard almost exclusivly.
	The only other thing I've got to say is that I like the
interactions I've had with Oberhiem.  I sent them a bug report for
a minor Matrix-12 bug, and recieved a prompt, courteous reply.
	Stephen Uitti, ach@pucc-h

dlsutton@uok.UUCP (03/21/86)

Hello,
	I have had a MATRIX-12 for about 6 months now, and LOVE,LOVE,
LOVE, the EXPANDER voice idea.  The MATRIX-^6 has ^6 of the EXPANDER
voices and the 12 has 12 of them..  Some VERY reakllistic sounding
patches can be mafde quite easily (If you know much about analog
programming), and even if you don't ther are thousadnds of patches
and patch libriaries availible (no exaggeration) through various
sources.
	In my opinion the MTATRIX (12/Expander/6) is the VERY BEST
analog synthesizer availible right now, and proabaly fo r the er the next
few yeasrs because OBERHEIM has a patent on the EXPANDER voice conce[tept.
	It would literally take me hours to explain the vairious types
of modulation routing./rampgenerator generator applications  that can be used
to comee .  I have had no problems with reliablility of the machine itself, and
it has been put through some very vigorous execises.  The one year
warantee is kinda nice though....
		In OKC (Oklahoma City) none of the studisos have a MARTRIX, and
I am getting calls all the time to let them borrow it, so that givsees
you an idea of how nice it can sound in studiou steupssetups,.
	I use a IBM-based sequencer/editor to drive my setup, and the
MATRIX'x s MIDI implimentation is one of the most thrcomplete I have seen.
It is possible tio have up to 12 different voices o sounding at one
time (each on a diifferent MIDI channel monophonically) or diifefferent
combinations of the 12 voices polyphonically on seperate midi channels.
	All in all, I wouldn't thnink twice about sugeegesting it to you,
you won't be sorry. As KEYBOARD magazine said, so R"so run, don't wlaalk"
and go buy one.
			Dabvid Sutton

markh@rtech.UUCP (Mark Hanner) (03/25/86)

well i bought one. and i love it! yes, it only allows two simultaneous
patches and doesn't have as many ramp and tracking generators as the
Matrix 12 or xpander, but for someone like me who's only experience
with these things was a few months with an arp 2600 ten years ago,
its buck rogers time. i also didn't have another grand to spare...
(guitar center tells walk-ins that it is $1400, but their mailing
list ads had it at $1199 a month or two ago and i was able to talk
them into taking that...).

the calculator keypad is a bit cumbersome, but they have done a
good job of organizing the patch info, so i've gotten fairly used
to it even after just a few days. nonetheless, i'm anxious to
write a patch editor for my pc. although all of the pieces are
the same, patches are not very portable between the matrix12/xpander
and the matrix6 as i found out by trying to set up the xpander piano
patch in the feb issue of keyboard. it takes a little imagination
to work around the missing generators, etc. but it can be done...

someday i will find out about these new-fangled "digital synthesizers",
but the oberheims prove that analog is not dead...

--

mohan@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Sunil Mohan) (03/27/86)

In article <2714@pucc-h>, ach@pucc-h (Stephen Uitti) writes:
> In article <157@rtech.UUCP> markh@rtech.UUCP writes:
> >anyone out there own an oberheim matrix 6? i am dangerously
> >close to buying one of these gizmos, ...
> >mark hanner
> >markh@rtech.ARPA
> >..ucbvax!mtxinu!rtech!markh

> this.  It didn't sound like it's missing too much.  One thing that
> I'd miss is that you can't do differant patches on each voice.  It

I bought the Mx-6 just after it came out, and am very pleased with it. It
had a few quite bad bugs which are fixed in the new s/w update (vers 1.06).
It has good analog sounds, with the capability to produce some very
interesting special effects. Its FM capability is very limited though.
I think the Roland Jx8P has better "bell" sounds. However it does have a
split keyboard facility, and an extensive MIDI implementation.

The Mx-6 may not be the best synth to buy for a Top40 band (a combination
of the Korg dw8000 and Casio CZ-101 might be better), because of the kind
of sounds required for those songs. However if your interest runs elsewhere,
it does make an excellent first keyboard.

A tip: you might want to buy a 'Ground Lifter' for the Mx6. This is a plug
adapter that converts from 3-prong to 2-prong. An Oberheim service person
recommended this to me to reduce the hum I got from my synth.

--
Sunil

UUCP:   ...{harvard, seismo, ut-sally, sri-iu, ihnp4!packard}!topaz!mohan
ARPA:   Mohan@RUTGERS