[net.music.synth] Digital Reverb? and Yamaha Synths

Campbell.SV@Xerox.COM (03/24/86)

From: Campbell.SV@Xerox.COM

>       ...I know this is gonna sound like a stupid question,but hey!!!,
>       stupidity is a virtue.What is *digital* about digital delays??

Larry,

A digital delay is digital because it takes the analog input and runs it
through a analog to digital converter.  The sound is converted to
numbers which can be duplicated time after time (echo) delayed for a
while or copied and read back faster or slower (chorus, flanging etc.).
Also a microprocessor can play tricks with the numbers to simulate
different size rooms and reflective surfaces (singing in the shower).
After the numbers have been tweaked then they are run back through a
digital to analog converter and presto- new sounds.  The advantage over
spring reverbs is the flexibility and much broader range of effects
possible.  A spring reverb always just sounds like a spring reverb while
a digital reverb can sound like a small club or a large concert hall.
Remember when people used to have spring reverbs on their car radio and
when you would turn it up all the way and drive on a bumpy road it would
sound like people fighting with metal trash cans inside a refrigerator
or am I just giving away my age?  Spring reverbs are very reliable so
the problem in your Fender is probably a tube or connection.  Besides,
spring reverbs are not dead.  I just bought a brand new Peavey KB-100
keyboard amp and guess what kind of reverb it has inside?  To test your
amp for springs just turn up the reverb all the way and drop the amp
from an altitude of one quarter of an inch.  You will find out if you
have springs or not.  By the way, another type of mechanical reverb was
the plate type.  This was a plate of metal with transducers on each end.
It gave a reverb sound that was less jangly than the spring type.  Is
this more than you wanted to know?

Regards, Rick Campbell

PS I have a question for the net people who have Yamaha synths.  I am
trying to decide between a DX-7 (smaller, no computer required to
program, cartridges etc) verses a KX-88 and a TX-7 (good keyboard, use
with new synth modules as they come out)  Anybody have an opinion based
on actual experience?

mohan@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Sunil Mohan) (03/27/86)

In article <1373@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU>, Campbell.SV@Xerox.COM writes:
> Regards, Rick Campbell
>
> PS I have a question for the net people who have Yamaha synths.  I am
> trying to decide between a DX-7 (smaller, no computer required to
> program, cartridges etc) verses a KX-88 and a TX-7 (good keyboard, use
> with new synth modules as they come out)  Anybody have an opinion based
> on actual experience?

I saw an ad in the March issue of Keyboard for a Tx7 programmer that
duplicates the control pad of a Dx7. The rrp was around $400. Anyone
know anything more about this ?

--
Sunil

UUCP:   ...{harvard, seismo, ut-sally, sri-iu, ihnp4!packard}!topaz!mohan
ARPA:   Mohan@RUTGERS

erickson@cbmvax.UUCP (03/28/86)

In article <1373@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU> Campbell.SV@mit-eddie.UUCP writes:
>Regards, Rick Campbell
>
>PS I have a question for the net people who have Yamaha synths.  I am
>trying to decide between a DX-7 (smaller, no computer required to
>program, cartridges etc) verses a KX-88 and a TX-7 (good keyboard, use
>with new synth modules as they come out)  Anybody have an opinion based
>on actual experience?

I have recently purchased a KX-88 and TX-7.  Since I want to use this setup as
a piano substitute as well as a synth, smaller keyboards just wouldn't do.
I am quite happy with this setup, and I am glad I didn't go for a DX-7 or
DX-5.

However, an external computer is really necessary for any but the most
trivial tweaking of the TX-7's performance parameters.  The KX-88 will allow
you to send any MIDI command <= 20 bytes of data, but it requires entering
in each byte as hex.  A typical parameter change is about 8 bytes of data, as
I recall.  Alternately, you can assign a slider to vary the value of any given
MIDI parameter.  The KX-88 is tailored to to Yamaha's system exclusive data,
but there are two "universal" parameters as well as the data dump of up to
20 bytes of anything.  The KX-88 is VERY flexible, allowing the use of any
slider, foot controller, breath controller, etc. to vary just about anything
MIDI parameter you want.

Without a computer (or DX-7), you can't even re-group the different sounds
written out as groups to tape.  Fortunately, I have friends with DX-7's that
have allowed me to get set up well enough for now without a computer.  I am
contemplating the purchase of a MIDI computer (probably an AMIGA) Real Soon
Now to make my life easier.

This setup is NOT readily moved!  The KX-88 alone weighs 63 pounds.  But if
you want a great keyboard, with good sound, and can live without RAM
cartridges or built-in editing capability, I think you'd like this combination.

This of course is just my opinion, but that's what you asked for.  Try and get
familiar with both setups because what matters is what you like, and its alot
of money to spend on the wrong thing!

Lee Erickson - now working with,       uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!erickson
but no way officially representing     arpa: cbmvax!erickson@seismo.css.GOV
Commodore, Engineering Department