[net.nlang.india] Bhagavathar Higgins and general Carnatic Music

bala@CS-Arthur (Bala Krishnamurthy) (02/11/85)

	>Subject: About John Higgins -- Is that true?

Yes, it is my sad duty to confirm that Bhagavathar Higgins did indeed
pass away around thanksgiving time. He died in a car accident in his home
town in Connecticut. A westerner who mastered Carnatic music, Higgins
even performed at the Tiruvaiyaru Aradhana.

During the course of an informal chat with Semmangudi Srinivasa Iyer, the
doyen of Carnatic music, (last summer) he bemoaned the waning interest in
this classical field. Srinivasa Iyer has greatly reduced his performances
and ruled out any question of travel abroad. It was a rare opportunity to
meet this maestro. His disciple Narayanaswami Iyer toured US last year and
gave a rousing concert here (Purdue).

Of late, there seems to have been a resurgence. A new magazine called
"Sruti" (Rupees Five per copy) is available. I do not have one handy to
give subscription details - anyone out there with more info on this?
"Sruti" is dedicated to Carnatic music and has some wonderful columns by
the giants of Carnatic music. Also reviews on new cassettes etc.

At Purdue, we have a weekly music program on Indian music on the local
station (WBAA - NPR) and once a month we feature Carnatic music. I would
like to know how much interest is there in Carnatica music elsewhere on
USENET.

Also, I would like to know about the availability of records of:
	(1) Madurai Mani Iyer
	(2) G.N.B
	(3) Semmangudi

Any catalogues out there ?

Cheers,
bala

Balachander Krishnamurthy	bala@purdue	        (ever reliable ARPA)
Dept. of Computer Science	bala.purdue@csnet-relay  (reliable CSNET)
Purdue University		decvax!purdue!bala 	(semi reliable usenet)
W. Lafayette IN 47907		317-494-7765		 (um.., well.. er GTE)