[net.nlang.india] Major Indian Events for 1985

mazum@iitcs.UUCP (Pinaki Mazumder) (02/06/85)

  Now that there is a separate net group for Indian activities, it will
be a nice idea to post the major Indian events for the year in the
form of a calendar. The objective behind the calendar is to remind the
net viewers about the festivals so that they send the greetings cards
well ahead of the end of the festivals. I am listing in a few events;
can someone insert the dates and add some events, if possible.

                  MAJOR INDIAN EVENTS OF 1985
                  ---------------------------

     #       Events                         Date

     1.      Pongal
     2.      Saraswatipuja
     3.      Ugadi (lunar calendar)
     4.      Ugadi (solar calendar)
     5.      Dussera
     6.      Deepavali
     7.      Onam
     8.      Janmasthami
     9.      Ganesha Festival
    10.      Ramzan

 The final list can be sorted according to dates or alphabetical order
 of the Events. It can be periodically posted once in a month.

latha@sunybcs.UUCP (Latha Krishnaswamy) (02/16/85)

>   Now that there is a separate net group for Indian activities, it will
> be a nice idea to post the major Indian events for the year in the
> form of a calendar. The objective behind the calendar is to remind the
> net viewers about the festivals so that they send the greetings cards
> well ahead of the end of the festivals. I am listing in a few events;
> can someone insert the dates and add some events, if possible.

Here are the dates for some of the festivals as per the calender issued
by "The Hindu Temple Society" (at Ganesha temple - Flushing -NY).
I have ordered them on date.

                       Festivals - 1985
                       ----------------

               14th January        Pongal

               17th February       Shivarathri

               22th March          Ugadi (Kannada,Telugu,Marathi New Year's day)
               30th March          Ram Navami

               13th April          Ugadi (Tamil New Year's day)

               7th  September      Janmashtami
               18th September      Ganesha Chaturthi
               25th September      Onam

               14th October        Start of Dussera
               22nd October        Saraswatipooja
               23rd October        Vijayadashami

            11/12th November       Deepavali
               17th November       Nag Panchami (Rakhee Bandhan)

        HAPPY FESTIVALS!!!

From postnews Thu Feb 14 15:56:55 1985

From postnews Thu Feb 14 15:52:51 1985
Subject: Re: Major Indian Events for 1985
Newsgroups: net.nlang.india

>   Now that there is a separate net group for Indian activities, it will
> be a nice idea to post the major Indian events for the year in the
> form of a calendar. The objective behind the calendar is to remind the
> net viewers about the festivals so that they send the greetings cards
> well ahead of the end of the festivals. I am listing in a few events;
> can someone insert the dates and add some events, if possible.
>
>                   MAJOR INDIAN EVENTS OF 1985
>                   ---------------------------
>
>      #       Events                         Date
>
>      1.      Pongal
>      2.      Saraswatipuja
>      3.      Ugadi (lunar calendar)
>      4.      Ugadi (solar calendar)
>      5.      Dussera
>      6.      Deepavali
>      7.      Onam
>      8.      Janmasthami
>      9.      Ganesha Festival
>     10.      Ramzan
>
>  The final list can be sorted according to dates or alphabetical order
>  of the Events. It can be periodically posted once in a month.

Here are the dates for some of the festivals as per the calender issued
by "The Hindu Temple Society" (at Ganesha temple - Flushing -NY).
I have ordered them on date.

                       Festivals - 1985
                       ----------------

               14th January        Pongal

               17th February       Shivarathri

               22th March          Ugadi (Kannada,Telugu,Marathi New Year's day)
               30th March          Ram Navami

               13th April          Ugadi (Tamil New Year's day)

               7th  September      Janmashtami
               18th September      Ganesha Chaturthi
               25th September      Onam

               14th October        Start of Dussera
               22nd October        Saraswatipooja
               23rd October        Vijayadashami

            11/12th November       Deepavali
               17th November       Nag Panchami (Rakhee Bandhan)

        HAPPY FESTIVALS!!!

From postnews Thu Feb 14 17:47:30 1985
Newsgroups: net.nlang.india

>   Now that there is a separate net group for Indian activities, it will
> be a nice idea to post the major Indian events for the year in the
> form of a calendar. The objective behind the calendar is to remind the
> net viewers about the festivals so that they send the greetings cards
> well ahead of the end of the festivals. I am listing in a few events;
> can someone insert the dates and add some events, if possible.

Here are the dates for some of the festivals as per the calender issued
by "The Hindu Temple Society" (at Ganesha temple - Flushing -NY).
I have ordered them on date.

                       Festivals - 1985
                       ----------------

               14th January        Pongal

               17th February       Shivarathri

               22th March          Ugadi (Kannada,Telugu,Marathi New Year's day)
               30th March          Ram Navami

               13th April          Ugadi (Tamil New Year's day)

               7th  September      Janmashtami
               18th September      Ganesha Chaturthi
               25th September      Onam

               14th October        Start of Dussera
               22nd October        Saraswatipooja
               23rd October        Vijayadashami

            11/12th November       Deepavali
               17th November       Nag Panchami (Rakhee Bandhan)

        HAPPY FESTIVALS!!!

From postnews Thu Feb 14 15:56:55 1985

From postnews Thu Feb 14 15:52:51 1985
Newsgroups: net.nlang.india

>   Now that there is a separate net group for Indian activities, it will
> be a nice idea to post the major Indian events for the year in the
> form of a calendar. The objective behind the calendar is to remind the
> net viewers about the festivals so that they send the greetings cards
> well ahead of the end of the festivals. I am listing in a few events;
> can someone insert the dates and add some events, if possible.
>
>                   MAJOR INDIAN EVENTS OF 1985
>                   ---------------------------
>
>      #       Events                         Date
>
>      1.      Pongal
>      2.      Saraswatipuja
>      3.      Ugadi (lunar calendar)
>      4.      Ugadi (solar calendar)
>      5.      Dussera
>      6.      Deepavali
>      7.      Onam
>      8.      Janmasthami
>      9.      Ganesha Festival
>     10.      Ramzan
>
>  The final list can be sorted according to dates or alphabetical order
>  of the Events. It can be periodically posted once in a month.

Here are the dates for some of the festivals as per the calender issued
by "The Hindu Temple Society" (at Ganesha temple - Flushing -NY).
I have ordered them on date.

                       Festivals - 1985
                       ----------------

               14th January        Pongal

               17th February       Shivarathri

               22th March          Ugadi (Kannada,Telugu,Marathi New Year's day)
               30th March          Ram Navami

               13th April          Ugadi (Tamil New Year's day)

               7th  September      Janmashtami
               18th September      Ganesha Chaturthi
               25th September      Onam

               14th October        Start of Dussera
               22nd October        Saraswatipooja
               23rd October        Vijayadashami

            11/12th November       Deepavali
               17th November       Nag Panchami (Rakhee Bandhan)

        HAPPY FESTIVALS!!!

naren@ut-sally.UUCP (Narendran Nachiappan) (02/17/85)

	I must say that I appreciate the good-nature of Latha Krishnaswamy of
SUNY Buffalo who was kind enough to not only let us know the existence of
miscellaneous Indian festivals but also was patient enough to make certain the
message got to us by sending it in triplicate. I had just laboured through it
when I realized that Latha's coup de grace was yet to come.

	>From latha@sunybcs.UUCP (Latha Krishnaswamy) Fri Feb 15 17:05:14 1985

	>Sorry about the previous news item ( I mean the repetitions!)
	>Here's what I wanted to say....

   HORRORS!! There it was again.

[Flame intensity raised to maximum]
      Actually, it was pretty thoughtful of you to send us the list, and
sure, I realize that mistakes like the repetitions occur all the time but
posting an apology for multiple copies of a letter that includes yet another
copy of the same letter only compounds the error.
[Flame off]

                                                      Narendran N.
                                                      naren@ut-sally.ARPA
                                    [ Official flame stoker, U of Texas ]

Ps: Since we have Cottonians, Montfortians ... I figure it is time I made this
    announcement.
       Yoo hoo ! Anybody from Fairlands, Salem out there? In particular, I
    want people from Park Street to reply.[My address is F-102 Park Street]
       Actually, I'd really like to have someone from F-103 reply.
    (The guy in F-101 was a jerk - on second thoughts, maybe that's who I
    want; and who, I expect, will reply to messages like these.)

debray@sbcs.UUCP (Saumya Debray) (02/17/85)

> Here are the dates for some of the festivals as per the calender issued
> by "The Hindu Temple Society" (at Ganesha temple - Flushing -NY).
> I have ordered them on date.
>
>                        Festivals - 1985
[ ... ]
>                22nd October        Saraswatipooja

Lakshmi Pooja, perhaps?  (This year's Saraswati Pooja was celebrated on Jan
26th.)
--
Saumya Debray
SUNY at Stony Brook

	uucp: {allegra, hocsd, philabs, ogcvax} !sbcs!debray
	CSNet: debray@sbcs