[net.sf-lovers] Leeper for Hugo?

chuq@sun.uucp (Chuq Von Rospach) (03/02/86)

> It seems there are two directions to go on this.  One is to petition the WSFS
> to include electronic media, including SF-lovers and other sigs on public
> bulletin boards, for consideration as media for Best Fan Writer.

With the proliferation of electronic BBS's and things like usenet,
compuserve, and the like, the community is going to have to recognize
electronic services someday -- hopefully sooner than later.

> Secondly,
> for next year's Hugo at least, there *is* an electronic fanzine, fully edited
> and published as such.  I refer to Chuq von Rospach's OtherRealms, which is
> available over the net.  (Requests to {hplabs, ihnp4}!sun!plaid!fanzine).
> If you or anyone doesn't care for OR, then START YOUR OWN.

No, there isn't. I still consider OtherRealms an experiment, and I
definitely don't consider it Hugo quality. I wouldn't allow it on the ballot
at this time if someone was silly enough to nominate it simply because I've
got enough to worry about turning it into a Hugo quality publication. The
earliest I would begin to consider it being put up for anything would be
1987, if it survives. 1986 is simply too soon for anyone to say what the
magazine is going to be like, and I don't want to be under that kind of
pressure. I'd like OtherRealms to win a Hugo some day, frankly (who wouldn't
want to win one?) but I also want it to deserve it, and it doesn't.

If you want MY recommendation for Fan Writer try Dick Geis. For Fan
publication, the Science Fiction Review. When I learn to write fannish aas
well as Geis can in his sleep, I might reconsider.

>Let a hundred
> flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought, a hundred fanzines contend.
> (Old Mao just turned over in his mausoleum.)  As OR is showing, there is no
> reason a formal fanzine can *not* be established electronically.

I agree completely, and I'll happily work with anyone out there that wants
to start their own fanzine. I've also asked Mark Horton about converting
OtherRealms from a mailing list to a moderated group because I'm blowing the
hell out of some mailers already, and it is still growing (I just shipped
230 copies of a 50K file to about 400-450 people total over the network).
I'd love to set things up so that and mod group can be used by anyone
publishing a fanzine, not just OtherRealms.

chuq
--
:From catacombs of Castle Tarot:        Chuq Von Rospach
chuq@sun.ARPA				FidoNet: 125/84

Somehow, Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore...

jsq@im4u.UUCP (John Quarterman) (03/03/86)

Somebody's already remarked that there were many sf-lovers at Boskone
(I saw them there, too).  Recognition of USENET, SF-LOVERS, OtherRealms,
and other electronic fannish media seems to be on many minds.  This makes
me wonder:  did any of you go to Corflu?  Since it was unfortunately
the same weekend as Boskone, it looks like we've got a dichotomy not
only in the publishing media people use but also in the cons they go to.
--
John Quarterman, UUCP:  {gatech,harvard,ihnp4,pyramid,seismo}!ut-sally!im4u!jsq
ARPA Internet and CSNET:  jsq@im4u.UTEXAS.EDU, jsq@sally.UTEXAS.EDU