[net.sf-lovers] Wolfe the best?

BROTHERS@CS.COLUMBIA.EDU@caip.RUTGERS.EDU (02/05/86)

From: Laurence Brothers <BROTHERS@CS.COLUMBIA.EDU>

Well, Wolfe is obviously a great novelist, and the New Sun is undoubtedly
the apex of his work so far (Free Live Free was fun, but not great), but
I don't think that he is "hands-down" the best sf novelist. The New Sun
supernovel had some flaws (though the work is so intricate it is very hard
to tell whether something is a bug or a feature), and I didn't think all
that much of The Island of Dr. Death and Other Stories and Other Stories
(admittedly because I didn't understand much of it). Basically, I don't think
that Wolfe has produced enough to make him the Best of the Best--The Book
of the New Sun is a tour-de-force until he produces more novels of the same
stature.

-Laurence

(back on the net after 9 months...)
-------

sbs@valid.UUCP (Steven Brian McKechnie Sargent) (03/01/86)

> From: Laurence Brothers <BROTHERS@CS.COLUMBIA.EDU>
> ... [The Book]
> of the New Sun is a tour-de-force until he produces more novels of the same
> stature.
>
> -Laurence

Peace.
	Just as good, and shorter.
The fifth head of Ceberus.
	Science fiction whose science is anthropology.

He has a new one out, too, but I haven't gotten to it.

I'd like to ask this newsgroup for recommendations.  Since I started reading
Gene Wolfe, most of my old favorites have started resembling "Speed racer"
cartoons by comparison.  Philip Dick is also wonderful, but he's not writing
much these days :-) and I also enjoy U.K. LeGuin.  Are there other authors,
who I haven't heard of, who are working in this vein (very literate, very
imaginative, very good storytellers, very high snob appeal)?  Most of the
articles I see are discussing "Volume 7 in the Dog rapists of X'a'_uquua
series."  (One of my favorite small things about all the authors mentioned
above is that they don't feel a need to barrage their readers with unpron-
ounceable names for characters and places; they have far less stagey ways of
conveying alienness.)

S.

crm@duke.UUCP (Charlie Martin) (03/05/86)

>....  Philip Dick is also wonderful, but he's not writing
>much these days....
How do you know?  Just because he's not getting much published doesn't
mean he's not writing (as I know to my regret.)  Maybe the mail service
is not very efffective from where he is?

>....  (One of my favorite small things about all the authors mentioned
>above is that they don't feel a need to barrage their readers with unpron-
>ounceable names for characters and places; they have far less stagey ways of
>conveying alienness.)

On the other hand, expecting alien races with alien physiologies to have
nice easily-pronouncable names is pretty blatantly species-chauvinistic.

--

			Charlie Martin
			(...mcnc!duke!crm)