[net.nlang.india] INDIA AND THE US MEDIA - A SUGGESTION

mazum@iitcs.UUCP (Pinaki Mazumder) (03/20/85)

                     INDIA AND THE US MEDIA - A SUGGESTION
                     =====================================

               Over the last two months, we have been discussing  over
          some  issues,  like  "India  and  the  Media", "Jewel in the
          Crown", etc. These issues are good pretexts  to  access  the
          net  and  display our profound knowledge/blissful ignorance,
          fervent patriotism/irresponsible  cynicism,  etc.,  particu-
          larly when it does not cost anything to think aloud.

               Personally, I shall agree that India is definitely  not
          the  cynosure  of  US  media  and at times SHE has been very
          poorly represented to pander the warped taste of certain  US
          people.  Sometime back when I was in Canada, I saw the movie
          "Indiana Jones in the Temple of Doom" and  another  show  in
          Ripley's  "Believe IT or NOT". In both the cases, the Godess
          Kali has been portrayed as an idol of Evil, who can be  pro-
          pitiated  by  sacrificing  the  human being at Her altar. To
          appease the wrath of the Godess, her disciples in a demented
          spree  would  ritually behead the innocent men and offer the
          heads to the Godess and finally in a spirit of triumph, they
          would  celebrate  the act with bacchanial cry. I was hurt to
          see these shows, because they present our religion  and  our
          Gods  and  Godesses  with diabolical overtones. But recently
          after Indira Gandhi was felled down by  a  glut  of  bullets
          fired  by  her bigoted Sikh bodyguards, the way their fellow
          brethren at abroad have publicly  expressed  their  satiated
          pleasure  with champagne, sweets, religious sword fights and
          pledge for more heads, it became quite apparent  that  those
          shows  were not over exaggerating or grossly misrepresenting
          our religious propensities.

               It is true that the western media look for sensational-
          ism as an ingredient for their news item. And no wonder that
          three mishaps in India had prominently figured  out  in  the
          last  year's  Top  Ten  Events in the World (posted sometime
          back in the net by me). But what I would like to  point  out
          that  why to carp about that and show accusing finger to the
          western media people. What are we doing to uplift our  image
          to the impartial western viewers? Waiting for Attenborrough,
          Lean, Rook, Ivory to exhibit the magnanimity of our  Nation?
          It's  true  that an Indian production will not be such a box
          office success as their productions.  But did  we  at  least
          venture  to  produce  them as feature films and display them
          during the weekly TV slots for Indian programme?   Or  shall
          we  have to for ever appreciate the buxom beauties of Bombay
          films and the associated croonings? It's time that we under-
          stand  those  film songs and dances do not serve any purpose
          to instill any amount of Indian-ness in our  youngsters  who
          have  been  born and brought up over here, nor it appeals to
          many others who came from India.  Those  who  need  them  to
          maintain  their  Indian-ness by means of Indian movies, they
          can go to any  Indian  store  and  borrow  the  videoes  for
          viewing.   If  we  would like to educate our youngsters over
          here and the Western viewers about the new India and the old
          Indian  heritage,  we  should  utilize the TV time slots for
          that purpose and stop carping about  the  role  of  American
          media. Afterall, we don't have the culinary expertise of the
          Chinese to entice the Americans, by and large,  to  turn  to
          India.  If  we  want to build up a good public opinion, it's
          time that we step out to do  SOMETHING  ourselves  and  stop
          EXPECTING from others.

                                              ihnp4/iitcs/mazum
            Date: March 19, 1985.
                                               Pinaki Mazumder
                                        Department Of Computer Science
                                         Illinois Inst of Technology,
                                                   Chicago

            P.S.  Anyone in the net who studied in Indian Institute Of
                  Science during 1973-1976?

9

9

raghu@ut-sally.UUCP (Raghunath Ramakrishnan) (03/21/85)

In article <125@iitcs.UUCP> mazum@iitcs.UUCP (Pinaki Mazumder) writes:

>          appease the wrath of the Godess, her disciples in a demented
>          spree  would  ritually behead the innocent men and offer the
>          heads to the Godess and finally in a spirit of triumph, they
>          would  celebrate  the act with bacchanial cry. I was hurt to
>          see these shows, because they present our religion  and  our
>          Gods  and  Godesses  with diabolical overtones. But recently
>          after Indira Gandhi was felled down by  a  glut  of  bullets
>          fired  by  her bigoted Sikh bodyguards, the way their fellow
>          brethren at abroad have publicly  expressed  their  satiated
>          pleasure  with champagne, sweets, religious sword fights and
>          pledge for more heads, it became quite apparent  that  those
>          shows  were not over exaggerating or grossly misrepresenting
>          our religious propensities.

      'indiana jones' was an exercise in tasteless, inaccurate and
     irresponsible titillation. some sikhs displayed an equal lack of taste
     and responsibility. i'd like to point out that many non-sikhs behaved
     in an equally crass and disgusting fashion.

      to judge a nation's 'religious propensities' by the asinine behaviour
     of some bigots is neither fair nor accurate. an historically egregious
     parallel is the persecution of jews because some of them killed christ.

      our country has a history of religious tolerance, despite several
     violent and misguided exceptions. given our religious diversity, this
     tolerance is crucial if we are to survive as a nation. so let us
     remember the sikhs who regretted gandhi's violent death (inspite of the
     fact that they might have disliked her policies), and the non-sikhs
     who helped their sikh friends and neighbors during the riots. i don't
     know how many of them there were, but for all our sakes i hope there
     were many.

hector@alberta.UUCP (Hector Hernandez) (03/22/85)

>                      INDIA AND THE US MEDIA - A SUGGESTION

                      =====================================

NONSENSE and personal "glorification" should be banned
from your net; otherwise lots of "Pinaki"'s will
spring up making your net very little more than a gossip-like
electronic magazine.

H. Hernandez/ Grad. Student./ U. of Alberta (alberta!hector)

rajeev@sftri.UUCP (S.Rajeev) (03/26/85)

> >                      INDIA AND THE US MEDIA - A SUGGESTION
> >
>                       =====================================
>
> NONSENSE and personal "glorification" should be banned
> from your net; otherwise lots of "Pinaki"'s will
> spring up making your net very little more than a gossip-like
> electronic magazine.
>
> H. Hernandez/ Grad. Student./ U. of Alberta (alberta!hector)

Just out of curiosity, what specifically do you find objectionable
about the referenced message, as opposed to any other in this newsgroup?
--
...ihnp4!attunix!rajeev   -- usenet
ihnp4!attunix!rajeev@BERKELEY   -- arpanet

sohan@ut-ngp.UUCP (Ramakrishna Pillai, Sohan C) (03/28/85)

>>                      INDIA AND THE US MEDIA - A SUGGESTION

>NONSENSE and personal "glorification" should be banned
>from your net; otherwise lots of "Pinaki"'s will
>spring up making your net very little more than a gossip-like
>electronic magazine.

>H. Hernandez/ Grad. Student./ U. of Alberta (alberta!hector)

		Whom is this self-righteous *i__ot* referring to in
	"your net" ?