[net.nlang.india] Why flame?

riddle@ut-sally.UUCP (Prentiss Riddle) (04/05/85)

Net.nlang.india certainly has been full of flames lately.  Why?  Is there
any reason why we can't discuss things with a bit more restraint?  This
isn't net.abortion, after all.

Please, if you must flame, why not post it to net.flame and reserve
net.nlang.india for reasoned discourse?  I realize that this suggestion is
hardly in the Usenet tradition :-) , but I think it will make a more
enjoyable newsgroup for all of us.

--- Prentiss Riddle ("Aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada.")
--- {ihnp4,harvard,seismo,gatech,ctvax}!ut-sally!riddle
--- riddle@ut-sally.UUCP, riddle@ut-sally.ARPA, riddle%zotz@ut-sally

br@duke.UUCP (Balu Raman) (04/06/85)

In article <1495@ut-sally.UUCP> riddle@ut-sally.UUCP (Prentiss Riddle) writes:
>Net.nlang.india certainly has been full of flames lately.  Why?  Is there
>any reason why we can't discuss things with a bit more restraint?  This
>isn't net.abortion, after all.
>
>Please, if you must flame, why not post it to net.flame and reserve
>net.nlang.india for reasoned discourse?  I realize that this suggestion is
>hardly in the Usenet tradition :-) , but I think it will make a more
>enjoyable newsgroup for all of us.

I wholly agree with you here. I am not going to say I didn't start it.

                                              Balu Raman.
                                              br!duke

naren@ut-sally.UUCP (Narendran Nachiappan) (04/07/85)

> Please, if you must flame, why not post it to net.flame and reserve
> net.nlang.india for reasoned discourse?  I realize that this suggestion is
> hardly in the Usenet tradition :-) , but I think it will make a more
> enjoyable newsgroup for all of us.

	I personally enjoy reading flames. I don't think we should ban
all flames to net.flame, maybe just the ones which have very strong
language and the ones which are too personal. In other words, if you want
to flame anyone, go ahead; as long as your flame contains a valid rebuttal
of the other person's claims and it is not too unpleasant.

"Scotty, quick! Hand me the asbestos suit... The flames are coming this way!"

						Narendran Nachiapan
						SHIELD agent 111[binary]
{seismo, ctvax, ihnp4}!ut-sally!naren, naren@ut-sally.{ARPA, UUCP}
*Supreme Headquarters International Espionage Law-Enforcement Division