[net.nlang.india] India travel tickets purchased in Europe: a long update.

amitabha@rochester.UUCP (Amitabha Mukhopadhyay) (04/09/85)

Those with long memories may remember I had posted info on a low air fare
to India thru an European travel agent. The response has been literally
overwhelming, and I am sorry if I haven't replied to recent mail queries.

As promised, here is an update:

Agency:	Malibu Travels (Ad Latjes)
	Damrak 30, 1012LJ Amsterdam, Holland.
Phone: 	1-800-626-4280. (HOURS: 4AM-12noon EST; HE IS IN HOLLAND!!)
	( He may be a bit hard to reach sometimes, but I have had good luck
		since I always call around 4AM! ).

All his tickets are ex New York (JFK) on Air India/Thai. After the recent
dollar plunge, he would like to quote in Dutch Guilders, although he
has honored his previous fare to people like me who had called in early
enough. His current rates for Air India (Thai is slightly more):

Destination		Rates in Dutch Guilders (1$ = 3.5-3.6 Glds)
~~~~~~~~~~~		~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Delhi/Bombay		3,400 Glds
Madras/Calcutta		3,600 Glds
Bangkok			3,640 Glds (with stops at Lond, Delh/Bom, Cal,etc)
Singapore		3,700 Glds (via Madras)
Hong Kong		3,800 Glds (via Bangkok)

These are fixed prices in Glds; the corresponding dollar rate will depend
on the Exchange rate on the day of purchase. For those of you with an
adventurous bent, I would strongly recommend that you drop by Bangkok even
if for a few days, it's an exhilarating experience and real LO-O-o-w cost,
and only 10$ more than CAL fares... Singapore, is, of course, for the more
consumer-oriented.

He maintains an attorney in NYC, who is responsible for all checks and
payments, and will deliver your ticket to you. Payment is usually in
certified cheque or M.O. or cashier's cheque. In some cases, he can
"offer facilities whereby cash payment can be made and tickets collected
immediately" from the attorneys, who are in Manhattan. This seems a prudent
approach, though to all appearance, this guy is a genuine fellow.

Some often-asked questions:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1) The tickets are issued in two parts: NYC-LOND-NYC; and LOND-remaining-LOND.
   However, by presenting both tickets at the same time at JFK you can have
   your baggage forwarded direct. I have done this several time before, but on
   one occasion (in Hong Kong airport) my baggage got misrouted after an
   overnight halt... maybe Heathrow is better? (misrouted luggage has the
   advantage that it often transcends customs, if you care abt such things.)
   The moot point here is that US luggage rules apply.

2) Regarding the other point raised by Shankar@Shasta, in the above mode,
   there is no break at London, so no reconfirmation is necessary. You do
   have to reconfirm your return flight from India for both sectors. (S@S was
   worried that you may have to reconfirm three days in advance from London).

3) This guy makes reservations for you (he IS a travel agent). In fact, he
   CAN NOT buy tickets for which reservations have been made in the US.

4) The ticket is valid for min. 6 days/max. 90 days stay in India.

5) You may, if you wish, have a stopover in London and give up your extra
   suitcase luggage allowance.

6) There are flights every day.

Why is it cheaper?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Because European agents have access to special discounts which US agents do
not. This is true of many other parts of the world; e.g. Bangkok - if you
go LA to India, the direct ticket is about 30-40% more expensive than if you
go LA-Bangkok, shop around for a good fare, and then go Bangkok-India.
If you open a London Times (any day) you'll find advertised India fares
of about 325 #s. Also the US dollar used to help.

This is, perhaps unfair to US travel agents, and I can see no reason why
the same rates shouln't bee made available in the US also. By the way, I
have received the following info which I have not confirmed:

> From swm%brown.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa Wed Mar 20 16:17:01 1985
> Date:     20 Mar 85 (Wed) 16:17:01 EST
> From: Swaminathan Manohar <swm%brown.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>
> To: amitabha
> Subject:  Tickets to India
>
>   Thanks for the news item about this.  I know of another attractive deal:
>
> 	Raj Travels,NYC Phone: 718-779-0525
> 	NYC to London by AI and
> 	London to Del/Bom by Gulf Air
> 	Fare : 825/- return.(with stopover in London if desired)

How reliable is this?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In all such situations, there is only one golden rule: CAVEAT EMPTOR!
I myself haven't got my ticket yet, but I hope to get it next week, and
if there is nothing further on this in abt two weeks, that means there
was nothing wrong with the ticket. If there is nothing more in a month,
then quite likely the trip was also OK.

I hope this is useful.

					- Amitabha Mukerjee (khuto)

	UUCP:	..!{allegra, decvax, seismo}!rochester!amitabha
	ARPA:	amitabha@rochester.arpa

PS: Please do not phone me; send mail.