[net.nlang.india] Oh, those "arranged".....

dave@cmu-cs-cad.ARPA (06/15/85)

*** Now I know how avalanches start ... all it takes is a shout ! ***

> The essence of education is to be able to make mature decisions and
> judgements, and these people who let themselves get married to someone
> they barely know, can hardly be called educated in that sense.

Now, now, ~EDUCATED~ people have been known to make decisions better/?/worse
than getting married.... Heard of Bertrand Russell and his affairs ???!!

> ...that the person grew up 'back in the old country', and thus has
> a lot of beliefs, and follows our customs and heritage.
>
> This kind of a person would not really be happy with a 'western'
> girl, or even a 'westernized' girl. So what is he to do.

Maybe find a ~NORTHERN~ girl....?

> These are personal choices.

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO FATE ..... do I see another avalanche ???

> In India, in most Hindu families, the 'love' marriages are looked down upon,
> .....Another point is that the alternative to an arranged marriage is to
> find one's own mate via processes as dating and dating is frowned upon and
> shunned in most Hindu families.

Sounds to me you don't like ~FROWNS~....I thought it kind of always went
hand-in-hand winrad!grkermi!panda!talcott!harvard!seismo!umcp-cs!chris
From: chris@umcp-cs.UUCP
Newsgroups: net.lan
Subject: Re: Telnet over UDP, ISO standards, etc..
Date: 15 Jun 85 18:36:55 GMT

UDP is unreliable even over Ethernet or other ``perfect''* networks
(at least in 4.2BSD) because since it doesn't have windowing (flow
control) so packets can and do get dropped after being successfully
received, checksummed, etc.  (Take a look at sbappendaddr.)

-----
*Anyone who's used marginal hardware knows there's no such thing as
a perfect network. . . .
UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris
CSNet:	chris@umcp-cs		ARPA: