[net.nlang.india] Pleasant News about Our Economy

sivan@aero.ARPA (Sivan Mahadevan ) (07/01/85)

	I remember reading a while back that the largest exported item from
India is OIL.  OIL!!  The future for our economy looks good!!

					Sivan Mahadevan

					Computer Science Laboratory
					The Aerospace Corporation
					Los Angeles
					ARPA: sivan@aerospace
					BELL: 213-648-6677

jeff@rtech.UUCP (Jeff Lichtman) (07/07/85)

> 	I remember reading a while back that the largest exported item from
> India is OIL.  OIL!!  The future for our economy looks good!!
>
> 					Sivan Mahadevan

Don't count on it, at least in the short run.  Currently, there is a world-wide
oil glut.  Oil is no longer a direct road to prosperity.
--
Jeff Lichtman at rtech (Relational Technology, Inc.)
aka Swazoo Koolak

{amdahl, sun}!rtech!jeff
{ucbvax, decvax}!mtxinu!rtech!jeff

sunil@ut-ngp.UTEXAS (Sunil Trivedi) (07/07/85)

From: sivan@aero.ARPA (Sivan Mahadevan ) Message-ID: <240@aero.ARPA>
> 	I remember reading a while back that the largest exported item from
> India is OIL.  OIL!!  The future for our economy looks good!!

"... Prime Minister Gandhi had announced that India would buy 500,000 tons
of Algerian oil, the Algerian news agency said on June 11.  Speaking at a
news conference after two rounds of talks with President Chadli Benjedid in
Algiers, Gandhi had agreed to redress their trade imbalance, currently in
India's favor."		<Source:  INDIA ABROAD, June 21, 1985>

How much of India's oil is being refined in India?  Is any of it being ex-
ported to another country for refinement and then returned to India?  Refer-
ing to Sivan Mahadevan's message above, to which country is India exporting
oil?  From the news I have heard (and read) I thought India was still get-
ting oil from Iran.  Has anyone heard anything on this?

					  Sunil Trivedi
					sunil@ut-ngp.ARPA

					   \	      /
					ut-sally  netword
					     \	    /
					      ut-ngp

					      sunil

dss00@amdahl.UUCP (dss00) (07/09/85)

> From: sivan@aero.ARPA (Sivan Mahadevan ) Message-ID: <240@aero.ARPA>
> > 	I remember reading a while back that the largest exported item from
> > India is OIL.  OIL!!  The future for our economy looks good!!

There is nothing new about India exporting oil. But there is more to
it than that. India continues to be a *NET* importer of oil.
The oil being exported is mostly from the latest finds off BOMBAY HIGH
and other recent discoveries. It is exported because the refineries
in India are not suitable for refining the oil found in the recent past.

India imports oil from the middle east for its own refineries.
--

Deepak S. Sabnis ...!{ihnp4,hplabs,amd,nsc}!amdahl!dss00    (408) 746-6058

(Usual Disclaimer Here)