[net.nlang.india] Excerpts from an Interview/Biography

sunil@ut-ngp.UTEXAS (Sunil Trivedi) (06/30/85)

	Source:  Melodies & Stars advertisement in INDIA ABROAD (June 21,1985)

	An Interview with Padmini Kolhapure with her Mini-Biography

	At age of 7, played in Dev Anand's "Ishq, Ishq, Ishq".
	At 11, played Rupa (Roopa) in Raj Kapoor's "Satyam Shivam Sundaram".
	At 15, did the famous rape scene in "Insaaf Ka Tarazoo" with Raj Babbar.
	Now 20, has four films due for release and ten in the shooting stage.
	In 1984, made the headlines when she kissed Prince Charles on the cheek
	when he visited Bombay.

	The questioner (Q:) is A. Sikri, (P:) is Padmini Kolhapure,
	and <S:> is me, Sunil Trivedi <another nobody>.

	Q:  Do you go to school?
	P:  No, I was really never fond of studying.  So I don't miss it.
	    Although I miss the fun of college life.

		<S: Setting a good example to the young of the world!>

	Q:  How do you like New York City, since you come here so often?
	    How different is it from Bombay?
	P:  They're both really the same, overcrowded, dirty cities.

		<S: The cabby must have taken her to Hoboken (N.J.) and told
		    her that it was New York City.  Mayor Koch [of New York
		    City] ought to give her the "Key to the City" for that
		    remark.>

	Q:  Then what brings you here so often?
	P:  Well it's a vacation for me.  I like to get away from Bombay.
	    I like to roam around here without being recognized.

		<S: For those who are planning their vacations, ask your
		    travel agent to send you to dirty cities since you
		    can get lost between all the filth.  Tell'em that
		    Padmini sent you.>

	Q:  What is your role in the upcoming Lata-Kishore show at Madison
	    Square Garden [in New York City] ?
	P:  When I was with the musicians Kalyanji-Anandji last year I did a few
	    dance sequences.  But this year it'll be a guest appearance only.

		<S: Guest appearance doing what, bouncing people out of the
		    [Madison Square] Garden?  Maybe she lulled the audiences
		    last time with her dances.>

	Q:  You modelled for India Saree Palace and Ruby sarees.  Why?
	    For extra money on the side?
	P:  No, the reasons were not financial.  For more exposure, I guess.
	    International exposure.

		<S: Who does she think she's fooling?  The "I guess" tells
		    that she didn't have a good bluff ready.  She wouldn't
		    be a good guest on Hollywood Squares.  With over 100,000
		    Indians in the New York City area, how was the "exposure"
		    going to help her in not getting recognized when she
		    "vacations" in New York City?>

	To all those fans of Padmini Kolhapure out there on the net, I really
	cannnot say that I'm sorry.  Either she should practice not opening
	her mouth and letting certain things slip out or she should practice
	giving "appropriate" responses.  She came to New York to help entice
	Indians (deshis) to pay some bucks, then she should do what all smart
	performers do, say nice things about the place where they are performing
	whether they mean it or not.

			     Sunil Trivedi
	P.O. Box 8057, Austin, TX 78713-8057  sunil@ut-ngp.ARPA
   ...!arpasite!sunil@ut-ngp.ARPA where arpasite is any ARPANET site
  ...!{ihnp4,ctvax,gatech,seismo,topaz,harvard}!ut-sally!ut-ngp!sunil

baiju@sbcs.UUCP (Baiju Patel) (07/03/85)

>	Source:  Melodies & Stars advertisement in INDIA ABROAD (June 21,1985)
>
>	An Interview with Padmini Kolhapure with her Mini-Biography
>	The questioner (Q:) is A. Sikri, (P:) is Padmini Kolhapure,
>	and <S:> is me, Sunil Trivedi <another nobody>.
>
>	Q:  How do you like New York City, since you come here so often?
>	    How different is it from Bombay?
>	P:  They're both really the same, overcrowded, dirty cities.
>
>		<S: The cabby must have taken her to Hoboken (N.J.) and told
>		    her that it was New York City.  Mayor Koch [of New York
>		    City] ought to give her the "Key to the City" for that
>		    remark.>
>

>			     Sunil Trivedi

	I am surprised that somebody as ignorant as you are about New York
	city comments on others opinions. I think it is about time you
	visit New York ( making sure that cabby does not take you to
	Hoboken ) and get your facts straight. It is a well known fact
	( even Mayor Koch will agree ) that New York city is dirty.
	I wish you do not waste our time and yours (!!!) posting such
	articles.

	Baiju.

sivan@aero.ARPA (Sivan Mahadevan ) (07/03/85)

In article <1936@ut-ngp.UTEXAS> sunil@ut-ngp.UTEXAS (Sunil Trivedi) writes:

>	Q:  How do you like New York City, since you come here so often?
>	    How different is it from Bombay?
>	P:  They're both really the same, overcrowded, dirty cities.
>
>		<S: The cabby must have taken her to Hoboken (N.J.) and told
>		    her that it was New York City.  Mayor Koch [of New York
>		    City] ought to give her the "Key to the City" for that
>		    remark.>

		Could of been the South Bronx too!!

					Sivan Mahadevan

					Computer Science Laboratory
					The Aerospace Corporation
					Los Angeles
					ARPA: sivan@aerospace
					UUCP: sivan@aero.uucp
					BELL: 213-648-6677

sunil@ut-ngp.UTEXAS (Sunil Trivedi) (07/08/85)

From: baiju@sbcs.UUCP (Baiju Patel) Message-ID: <345@sbcs.UUCP>

> From: sunil@ut-ngp.UUCP (Sunil Trivedi) Message-ID: <1936@ut-ngp.UTEXAS>
> >	The questioner (Q:) is A. Sikri, (P:) is Padmini Kolhapure,
> >	and <S:> is me, Sunil Trivedi <another nobody>.
> >	Q:  How do you like New York City, since you come here so often?
> >	    How different is it from Bombay?
> >	P:  They're both really the same, overcrowded, dirty cities.
> >		<S: The cabby must have taken her to Hoboken (N.J.) and told
> >		    her that it was New York City.  Mayor Koch [of New York
> >		    City] ought to give her the "Key to the City" for that
> >		    remark.>

> 	I am surprised that somebody as ignorant as you are about New York
> 	city comments on others opinions. I think it is about time you
> 	visit New York ( making sure that cabby does not take you to
> 	Hoboken ) and get your facts straight. It is a well known fact
> 	( even Mayor Koch will agree ) that New York city is dirty.

I assume living in New York would be better than visiting New York if I
want to make statements about New York.  Well I have lived in New York
for 13 years.  I'm sure there are many out there who could "pull rank"
on me [having lived in New York longer].  I definitely "pull rank" on
Padmini!  I agree there are several sections of New York that are not
the most appealing, but that situation will exist in any major metro-
politan area, unless cities either start early on trying to prevent the
decay (like Austin, Texas) or have sweeping powers to demolish already
existing decay (like Toronto, Ontario).  I believe it is not fair to
judge the whole city, when only a few sections are culprit.  Just because
the many communities in NYC [New York City] share a common government,
does not mean that all the communities are the same. South Bronx hardly
reflects the rest of NYC as the Watts section of L.A. (Los Angeles) does
not reflect L.A.  Even the city of Houston, has several self-supporting
communities (which could easily be seperate cities), that do not reflect
the image that Houston is known for.  Sorry, Prentiss! Usually those who
don't live in "the city" are the ones who help to give "the city" a bad
name.  As for Mayor Koch agreeing that NYC is dirty, I believe Koch will
do whatever he has to do to get the media to notice him.  If saying NYC
is overcrowded and dirty will do that, then he'll say it.  If NYC were as
dirty and over-crowded as the "well-known facts" reveal, then why do those
who have the ability to move out stay there?  Does anyone believe that these
residents stay there because they like to be dirty and to live in over-
crowded settings?  For those who are (somehow) attached to Hoboken, I give
my apologies to them.  In all my trips to/through Hoboken, I had felt that
garbage collection was not a high priority on its city council.  I hope
the situation has changed.  My reference to Hoboken was made in fun.

> 	I wish you do not waste our time and yours (!!!) posting such
> 	articles.

To all those who believe that I am wasting their time (including Baiju Patel
baiju@sbcs, Shaji Bhaskar shaji@sbcs, & Shankar Muppala muppala@sunybcs),
please exercise the 'n' key.  As to whether I'm wasting my time, I guess that
it's up to me to decide.

	      +-------------+
	      |Hook'em Horns|
        ===========================		      Keep Smiling,
	       |___     ___|
       	       |(*)	(*)|
	       |           |			      Sunil Trivedi
               |     ^     |			    sunil@ut-ngp.ARPA
               |   \___/   |			...!ut-sally!ut-ngp!sunil
	  	\         /
	    	  - - - -

pankaj@sbcs.UUCP (Pankaj Gupta) (07/09/85)

> From: sunil@ut-ngp.UUCP (Sunil Trivedi) Message-ID: <1936@ut-ngp.UTEXAS>
>	The questioner (Q:) is A. Sikri, (P:) is Padmini Kolhapure,
>	and <S:> is me, Sunil Trivedi <another nobody>.
>	Q:  How do you like New York City, since you come here so often?
>	    How different is it from Bombay?
>	P:  They're both really the same, overcrowded, dirty cities.
>		<S: The cabby must have taken her to Hoboken (N.J.) and told
>		    her that it was New York City.  Mayor Koch [of New York
>		    City] ought to give her the "Key to the City" for that
>		    remark.>
>
> > 	I am surprised that somebody as ignorant as you are about New York
> > 	city comments on others opinions. I think it is about time you
> > 	visit New York ( making sure that cabby does not take you to
> > 	Hoboken ) and get your facts straight. It is a well known fact
> > 	( even Mayor Koch will agree ) that New York city is dirty.
>
> I assume living in New York would be better than visiting New York if I
> want to make statements about New York.  Well I have lived in New York
> for 13 years.

Boy, you lived in NYC for 13 years and still think that it is a clean
and beautiful place (even after living in Austin)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you just repeated what Padmini said :-)

> I believe it is not fair to
> judge the whole city, when only a few sections are culprit.  Just because
> the many communities in NYC [New York City] share a common government,
> does not mean that all the communities are the same. South Bronx hardly
> reflects the rest of NYC.
> Usually those who don't live in "the city" are the ones who help to give
> "the city" a bad name.

I think that means - `those who live in cleaner and more crime-free
areas feel that "the city" is dirty and full of crime'.

> If NYC were as
> dirty and over-crowded as the "well-known facts" reveal, then why do those
> who have the ability to move out stay there?  Does anyone believe that these
> residents stay there because they like to be dirty and to live in over-
> crowded settings?

I know a lot of New Yorkers who feel that it is the "greatest city
on earth".  I agree that the city is a great place for enjoying
social and cultural events, but it still remains a fact that it
is dirty and overcrowded.

> > 	I wish you do not waste our time and yours (!!!) posting such
> > 	articles.
>
> To all those who believe that I am wasting their time (including Baiju Patel
> baiju@sbcs, Shaji Bhaskar shaji@sbcs, & Shankar Muppala muppala@sunybcs),
> please exercise the 'n' key.

How come my name was not included in the list?  For those of you who
know how to hit the `r' key for sending me mail, but do not know
how to use the `f' key for sending followup messages send me mail if
you want to be included in the list, and I will post the list in the
future (my astrologer tells me that Feb 29 1986 is a good day for
that purpose).

Pankaj Gupta
SUNY at StonyBrook.

sivan@aero.ARPA (Sivan Mahadevan ) (07/10/85)

In article <345@sbcs.UUCP> baiju@sbcs.UUCP (Baiju Patel) writes:
>>	Source:  Melodies & Stars advertisement in INDIA ABROAD (June 21,1985)
>>
>>	An Interview with Padmini Kolhapure with her Mini-Biography
>>	The questioner (Q:) is A. Sikri, (P:) is Padmini Kolhapure,
>>	and <S:> is me, Sunil Trivedi <another nobody>.
>>
>>	Q:  How do you like New York City, since you come here so often?
>>	    How different is it from Bombay?
>>	P:  They're both really the same, overcrowded, dirty cities.
>>
>>		<S: The cabby must have taken her to Hoboken (N.J.) and told
>>		    her that it was New York City.  Mayor Koch [of New York
>>		    City] ought to give her the "Key to the City" for that
>>		    remark.>
>>

>>			     Sunil Trivedi
>

>	I am surprised that somebody as ignorant as you are about New York
>	city comments on others opinions. I think it is about time you
>	visit New York ( making sure that cabby does not take you to
>	Hoboken ) and get your facts straight. It is a well known fact
>	( even Mayor Koch will agree ) that New York city is dirty.
>	I wish you do not waste our time and yours (!!!) posting such
>	articles.
>
>	Baiju.

		NYC might be dirty but it is immaculate compared to Bombay.
		Padmini K.'s comment still seems crazy though.  Sunil just
		wanted to suggest, in a humorous way, that Hoboken is more
		dirty than NYC and that Padmini K.'s comment was ridiculous.