[net.nlang.india] News of Air India Crash

sunil@ut-ngp.UTEXAS (Sunil Trivedi) (07/07/85)

	From: Uday Reddy <U-REDDY@UTAH-20.ARPA>
	Subject: [kapur@GE-CRD: News Bulletin 06/29]]

> [Forwarded from iitnet. -- USR]
>
> The whole of this news bulletin is devoted to the
> tragedic Air India crash.
>
> Indian community in North America was shocked by
> a severe tragedy on Sunday June 23 when an
> Air-India jet 747 crashed in mid-air over the Atlantic ocean resulting in
> the death of 329 people, almost all of Indian
> descent. Shock waves tremored the Indian
> community in the
> cities of Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver in
> Canada where most of the 200,000 people of Indian
> background in Canada are living. Relatives and
> friends gathered to find more information from
> Air India as well as to console each other. Some
> families were totally wiped out.
> Prayers were held in temples and gurdwaras. In
> the words of the President of the National
> Association of Canadians of Indian Origin, the tragedy has
> broguht the whole Indian
> community together to bear the loss and help each
> other.
> Condolence messages to the families of the
> victims and to the Indian and Canadian
> governments have come from many places including
> heads of states. Condolence meetings are being
> held in many place in North America.
>
> The Air India Flight 182 which started from
> Toronto on Saturday June 22 night, picked more
> passengers from Montreal and was flying to Delhi
> and Bombay via London. According to the Irish air
> controllers, the flight Captain HS Narendra made
> a routine contact with the air control office in
> Ireland when it entered the Irish air space. However,
> eight minutes after that contact, the plane
> disappeared from the radar screen. There was no
> distress signal or any request for help from the
> flight crew.
> British navy and Royal air force were
> called into action to search for the aircraft.
> The debris of
> the aircraft was located in the Atlantic ocean about
> 100 miles off an Irish coastal city Cork. Soon
> after the aircraft was located, suspicions were
> confirmed that no one survived the mysterious
> mid-air explosion of the aircraft. Over a period
> of 2-3 days of search, the Royal Airforce had
> located about 130 bodies, over 100 of them
> of female passengers. A major portion of the
> debris including the flight recorders
> was suspected to be buried at the sea-bed, about
> 6000 feet deep.
>
> At least 279 of the 329 victims of the crash were
> Canadian citizens, almost all of them are of Indian
> descent. There were 22 crew members, and 8
> American citizens of Indian origin mostly from Buffalo
> and Detriot areas. The victims included at least 80 children.
>
> In another incident, there was an explosion
> from the baggage of a Canadian Pacific Air flight
> 003 from Vancouver to Tokyo
> hours before the Air-India crash. The explosion
> killed two baggage handlers at the Narita
> airport and injured many. The explosion took
> place about 40 minutes after
> [...]

This was posted to net.nlang.india since it would be of interest
to the 'suscribers' of net.nlang.india.  Has any information
surfaced about the flight recorder on board the AI plane?

					      Sunil Trivedi
					    sunil@ut-ngp.ARPA
					...!ut-sally!ut-ngp!sunil

					 "Jai Hind...Jai Bharat"

jis1@mtgzz.UUCP (j.mukerji) (07/12/85)

Both the black boxes, the cockpit voice recorder and the flight data
recorder have been recovered. They are being sent to Bombay, India where
their contents will be analyzed in an attempt to pinpoint the cause of the
crash.

This remarkable feat of recovery from 6700' under the ocean was achieved
using an underwater robot named Scarab I, which is used by AT&T  and other
communications companies to service and repair undersea cables. The Scarab I
and its twin newer version Scarab II were designed and built at AT&T Bell
Laboratories at Holmdel between 1977 and 1981. Scarab is an acronym for
Submersible Craft Assistant for Repair and Burial. It can operate at depths
of upto 9000'.

Jishnu Mukerji
AT&T Information Systems Lab.
Holmdel  NJ