[net.nlang.india] RETURNING TO INDIA

ss@ptsfb.UUCP (Vasan Srinivasan) (08/15/85)

I am a permanent resident for the last eight years in
California.  I am planning to go back to India and settle down
in Madras.  Need some advice on some of the issues.

    (1)  Can I keep the money in USA or India?

    (2)  Is it worth to take a car from here?  What are the
	 advantages/disadvantages?

    (3)  What are the various items can I take for my personal
	 use? (I mean, would like to stay away from customs
	 officers harassment.)

    (4)  What should I do, later on if I decide to come back to
	 USA?

    (5)  Is it good to buy or rent a house in India?

    (6)  What are the tax consequences (India/USA)?

sivan@aero.ARPA (Sivan Mahadevan ) (08/16/85)

In article <213@ptsfb.UUCP> ss@ptsfb.UUCP (Vasan Srinivasan) writes:
>I am a permanent resident for the last eight years in
>California.  I am planning to go back to India and settle down
>in Madras.  Need some advice on some of the issues.
>
>    (4)  What should I do, later on if I decide to come back to
>	 USA?

I'm not sure about the details of what should be done to be able to come back
to this country, but I believe that green card holders need to come back to
some US state or territory at least once in two years to keep the green card
valid.  But one does not have to come back to mainland USA to keep the green
card active, Guam should be sufficient.

Does anyone know about similar details for US citizens?

>    (5)  Is it good to buy or rent a house in India?

In my opinion, real estate in urban India is probably the best legal investment
one can make.  Sure prices in the US real estate market have had their glory
days (late 70's and early 80's in Southern California, and present day prices
in NYC area, for example) but the increases are nothing compared to what one
can make in cities in India.  Thus, my advice is to buy a house in India.
Infact, if one owns real estate in this country and wants to go back to India
permanently, then he should sell the property here and buy several houses/land
in urban India.  You can't go wrong with such investments.

In the case of Madras (as Mr. Srinivasan inquires) persons coming from abroad
can definitely afford to buy homes in the central and cool (weather) localities
of say Mylapore and Abhiramapuram whereas the locals in Madras are forced to
purchase homes in the outlying areas of the city because of financial reasons.
Thus, by buying a home, you can pick the best areas to live in Indian cities.

*			      Sivan Mahadevan				      *
* Computer Science Laboratory, The Aerospace Corporation, Los Angeles	      *
* ARPA: sivan@aero2  or  sivan@aerospace	UUCP: sivan@aero.uucp	      *
* BELL: 213-648-6677    						      *
* US MAIL: MS M1-102, P.O. Box 92957, Los Angeles, Ca. 90009		      *