[net.nlang.india] Longowal Assasinated.

murali@cvl.UUCP (Muralidhara Subbarao) (08/21/85)

I reproduce below a news item from iitnet which I got just now.

From: BHATNAGAR@RUTGERS.ARPA
Subject: Sant's assissination in India.
To: iitnet%ucbernie@Berkeley

Some more details about the incidence which may not be locally available:

Sant Harcharan Singh Longowal was assassinated while addressing a group of
his supporters in a gurudwara in his home town near Sangrur in Punjab. His
security detail returned the fire and in the process two of the attacking
gunmen were detained. The incidence has sent a shock wave throughout the
nation and the Prime mInister has described it as a national tragedy.
President Zail Singh reacted as 'No words to describe his grief'.
According to the BBC 'security forces are on alert'. The governor of Punjab
has called for a period of two days of state wide mourning. The Akali Dal
has called for a general strike ( I guess in protest ).

To quote Mark Tully of BBC from New Delhi "Sant Longowal was known for his
honesty and lack of political ambition. He never held any political office."

Neeraj Bhatnagar
------ ---------
Bhatnagar@RU-RED
Source of the above details: Mainly BBC
-------

ssm@cmu-ri-leg.ARPA (Sesh Murthy) (08/21/85)

I felt disgusted on hearing that Longowal had been killed.  WHY?  I wonder
what can be done now to salvage the situation in Punjab.

I wonder where all this will end.  The only thing clear to me is that Punjab
will suffer because of lack of stability.  No matter what the history may be,
isn't it time for Hindus and Sikhs to close ranks and prevent this senseless
slaughter?  Can I do anything to bring this about.

I never understood the Sikh agitation.  Would any Sikh like to send me mail
about its aims and aspirations.  I would really like to see the point of
view of a Sikh who supports the agitation.

						Sesh Murthy

P.S. I may be naive but sitting back, being cynical, and saying that the
place is going to the dogs anyhow is not any more constructive.
--
uucp: seismo!rochester!cmu-ri-leg!ssm
arpa: ssm@cmu-ri-leg

murali@cvl.UUCP (Muralidhara Subbarao) (08/23/85)

> I felt disgusted on hearing that Longowal had been killed.  WHY?  I wonder
> what can be done now to salvage the situation in Punjab.
>
> ....isn't it time for Hindus and Sikhs to close ranks and
> prevent this senseless slaughter?
> Can I do anything to bring this about.
>

> 						Sesh Murthy

Although it appears inconsequential, I think one way to bring
about Hindu-Sikh unity is to express our opinions on forums
such as this net and on those such as letters-to-editor column
in news papers. The next step would be to organize Hindu-Sikh
meetings for discussion.

murali.