[net.nlang.india] ARE WE REALLY HAPPY IN RETURNING HOME?

ss@ptsfb.UUCP (Vasan Srinivasan) (08/20/85)

I personally thanks to those who contributed some useful
information regarding Returning Home.

Since many of us, including myself raised the question
on retuing to India, I think it is worth to discuss and
benefit all of us to make a very good decision in our
life.

I wonder, if we return to India for permanent stay,
do we really happy to enjoy the rest of life in India?

What are the advantages/disadvantages in returning to
India?

Do you think, is it easy to adjust back in India?
   [I mean standing in the ration shop, waiting for the
    milk-man, the problems w/taxi, auto drivers, getting
    admission in the school/college for children, getting
    employment, sanitary conditions, etc..etc..etc.,]

If you have further questions, please add on to the list.
Please input your views.

Thanks

S. Srinivasan
Pacific * Bell
2600 Camino Ramon, 4E700L
San Ramon, CA 94583
(415) 823-2403

santosh@cheviot.uucp (Santosh Shrivastava) (08/23/85)

In article <217@ptsfb.UUCP> ss@ptsfb.UUCP (Vasan Srinivasan) writes:

>I personally thank to those who contributed some useful
>information regarding Returning Home.
>
>Since many of us, including myself raised the question
>on retuing to India, I think it is worth to discuss and
>benefit all of us to make a very good decision in our
>life.
>What are the advantages/disadvantages in returning to
>India?

I recently (82-83) spent  one year in India as a visiting scientist at
Indian Institute of Science. I wanted to find out what Srinivasan is on
about... Main conclusions?
           I think it is pointless to discuss "rights" and "wrongs" of
"returning home". You have to make up your mind on what your heart tells you.
Yes.. the problems of living in a big city are many. For example, I was
unable to find suitable schools for my children just for a year ( all
services in Indian cities are stretched to their limits); to get cooking
gas installed in our flat (how did I get a flat?.. but thats another
story) was one of my crowning achievements.
        Despite all this I was happy. The joy of working with fellow
countrymen is indescribable. I felt that I could get involved. This is
not surprising, after all we do belong in India.
Anyway, why am I not in India then you ask. I discovered that my children
(borne in the UK) also have a strong sense of belonging to THEIR country!
I finally desided that living here is a resonable compromise. However
I no longer dream of "returning home", and this has given me peace of mind.
In conclusion..
  Making decisions on purely econimic grounds is pointless.
  Stop dreaming. Go out there and experience for yourself.
  Once there, do not regard yourself as special (just becauce you have
lived abroad).
  If you are in your late thirties or early forties, then probably it
is too late to be thinking of returning.
  If you are in late twenties to early thirties then you can manage if you
  try it NOW.
Santosh Shrivastava - Computing Lab., Univ. of Newcastle upon Tyne
  ARPA : santosh%cheviot.newcastle@ucl-cs.ARPA
  UUCP : <UK>!ukc!cheviot!santosh
 JANET : santosh@uk.ac.newcastle.cheviot

debray@sbcs.UUCP (Saumya Debray) (08/28/85)

> I wonder, if we return to India for permanent stay,
> do we really happy to enjoy the rest of life in India?

Depends on what your priorities are.  I suspect physical adjustment isn't
too difficult (I was in India for a couple of months last winter, and after
three days in Calcutta thought nothing of load shedding, mounds of garbage,
hanging on precariously to the door handle of a bus in rush-hour
crowds, ...).  I did find the mellower - and, generally, more hospitable -
life style refreshing (though it might just be New York getting to me!).
Professionally, it might be a little harder -- especially if you're
accustomed to the ready availability of a lot of hardware and software,
ready access to technical literature and conferences, &c.  On the other
hand, many of the people I met at TIFR and IISc Bangalore were very bright,
professionally committed, and seemed to be quite contented where they were.
--
Saumya Debray
SUNY at Stony Brook

	uucp: {allegra, hocsd, philabs, ogcvax} !sbcs!debray
	arpa: debray%suny-sb.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
	CSNet: debray@sbcs.csnet