[net.nlang.india] Visas at Canada

sivan@columbia.UUCP (Sivan Mahadevan) (09/21/85)

	I am posting the following article for my friend Ananth
(Ananth_Annapragada%UB-MTS%UMich-MTS.Mailnet@Mit-Multics.Arpa) since he
does not have direct access to usenet.

-------
         A friend of mine from U of Mich whose Visa had expired went to
Canada to try and get a new one. They gave him the ususal song and dance
about "Go back to India and try from there." His response was that he
was going to India on a weeks notice for his sisters wedding, that it
was going to be held in some out of the way village, and that he wouldnt
have time to coordinate a trip to the nearest consulate. He also said
that travel in India was not like here; one canot catch a flight and
leave; travel often means a month of waiting time for train reservations
etc etc. Believe it or not, the consul relented and gave him a one year
multiple entry!!!

         I have got this news second hand, and it might lack accuracy in
minor details, but what I **can** testify to is the bright look on the
fortunate guy's face whenever anyone mentions Canada and Visas!!!

					Ananth Annapragada
---------

raghu@ut-sally.UUCP (Raghu Ramakrishnan) (09/22/85)

I'm glad for the guy who got a visa by going to Canada, but I'd like
to emphasise that he did so on the strength of an exceptional
circumstance. Attempts to repeat (beyond the first few!) are likely to
find the consul skeptical.

In other words, this incident does not reflect a policy change.

santosh@cheviot.uucp (Santosh Shrivastava) (09/24/85)

In article <1106@columbia.UUCP> sivan@columbia.UUCP (Sivan Mahadevan) writes:

>	I am posting the following article for my friend Ananth
>(Ananth_Annapragada%UB-MTS%UMich-MTS.Mailnet@Mit-Multics.Arpa) since he
>does not have direct access to usenet.
>
>-------
>         A friend of mine from U of Mich whose Visa had expired went to
>Canada to try and get a new one. They gave him the ususal song and dance
>about "Go back to India and try from there." His response was that he
>was going to India on a weeks notice for his sisters wedding, that it
>was going to be held in some out of the way village, and that he wouldnt
>have time to coordinate a trip to the nearest consulate. He also said
>that travel in India was not like here; one canot catch a flight and
>leave; travel often means a month of waiting time for train reservations
>etc etc. Believe it or not, the consul relented and gave him a one year
>multiple entry!!!
What conclusions are we to draw from this? That if you want a visa, convince
the authorities how things are bad (disorganized, falling apart etc) in
India?

akhanna@bbncc5.UUCP (Atul C. Khanna) (09/25/85)

As I believe it, one does not need a visa to re-enter the US if one's
stay in Canada does not exceed 30 ( or 7, I can't remember ) days.  So
all one really has to do is go to the US consulate before but close to
the "grace period" expiration date and request a new visa on the
grounds  that you want to stay on in Canada for a couple more days
than the "grace period."  There is no need to mention any planned trip
to India.  I was in  Canada this winter and did obtain a visa this way
( I did legitimately need it to re-enter the US! ).  By the way, all
this  applies to a J-1 visa.  I don't know how things work for other
non-immigrant visas.

--
Atul C. Khanna

The better a pie tastes, the worse it is for you.