[net.nlang.india] Rajneeshpuram in uproar!

dsouza@waltz (09/23/85)

Rajneeshpuram is (once again) embroiled in controversy. These are
excerpts from an article in the Austin American Statesman, Sept 23
(comments in parens mine):

"...Indicative of the tremors that have rocked the commune was an offer
by spiritual leader Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh to give all  but 1 of his 90
Rolls Royces to his 5000 disciples as a gesture of appreciation. (My,
how generous!).
  "The offer was not accepted, however. The cars belong to the Rajneesh
Investment Trust, which specifies that they be used exclusively by Raj-
neesh. The trust president, Swami Dhyan John, said that because the guru
had sat in all the vehicles, 'they are sacred, and we want them just where
they are.' (How come Rajneesh gets to use them if they are sacred?)
  "...Rajneesh's principal advisor, Ma Anand Sheela, fled the commune with
as many as 20 other leaders. Investigators are looking into charges by
guru that Sheela was involved in attempted murder, wiretapping, arson and
fraud. (I thought all that was what Rajneesh preached, among other such
delights?).
  "...Observers outside the commune were skeptical of the charges, saying
he may have been trying to draw attention to Sheela in an effort to shift
focus from his visa troubles.
  "Rajneesh also says that Sheela was responsible for most of the activ-
ities that profoundly angered surrounding communities...included bringing
in 3800 homeless people last year (now wasn't that supposed to be a gener-
ous, concerned effort at rehousing these people, as opposed to charges that
it was done to stack the voting in local elections? Read on...).
  "'I'm not much interested in uneducated, illiterate street beggars',
Rajneesh said. (So much for Rajneesh's claims to being a God. Uneducated,
illiterate street beggars don't have Rolls Royces to 'donate' to him,
unfortunately).
  "Rajneesh emerged last Oct from 3.5 years of self-imposed exile at the
commune. He said little about it except that he 'got tired of talking to
the walls'. (Maybe they got tired of him? Maybe he does not know that we
are tired of listening to his fulminations?).
  "He is pressing the argument that Sheela...used her position to impose
'a fascist state' on the 4 yr old commune.
  "...His teaching that there is no God (besides himself, of course) has
particularly angered local Christians, as does casual nudity and cheerful
advocacy of free love." (Is there AIDS in the commune?)

There is much I would like to say on the subject of Rajneesh; maybe I shall
refrain from putting it on the net.

cheers,
dilip.

brahme@uicsl.UUCP (09/28/85)

I fail to understand why some people criticize Rajneesh & his activities. I
am not aware of his preachings but just reading the criticism against him, i
feel i should say my bit.

>  "'I'm not much interested in uneducated, illiterate street beggars',
>Rajneesh said. (So much for Rajneesh's claims to being a God. Uneducated,
>illiterate street beggars don't have Rolls Royces to 'donate' to him,
>unfortunately).

First of all there is nothing wrong in someone claiming to be a GOD! And
there is no reason why all such GODS have to help the poor & the needy.
Remember the rich also ocassionally require help. Where would they go if
there was'nt any one like Rajneesh around? Also i don't see why
anybody should  object  their donating Rolls Royces to him.

>  "...His teaching that there is no God (besides himself, of course) has
>particularly angered local Christians, as does casual nudity and cheerful
>advocacy of free love."

 There is no reason for the  local christians to be angry with his teachings.
They can believe what they want to. Can't they be tolerant to people whose
beliefs do not coincide with theirs?

rajkumar@im4u.UUCP (V. Rajkumar) (10/01/85)

In article <10400002@uicsl> brahme@uicsl.UUCP writes:

>I fail to understand why some people criticize Rajneesh & his activities. I
>am not aware of his preachings but just reading the criticism against him, i
>feel i should say my bit.
>
>>  "'I'm not much interested in uneducated, illiterate street beggars',
>>Rajneesh said. (So much for Rajneesh's claims to being a God. Uneducated,
>>illiterate street beggars don't have Rolls Royces to 'donate' to him,
>>unfortunately).
>
>First of all there is nothing wrong in someone claiming to be a GOD! And
>there is no reason why all such GODS have to help the poor & the needy.

  I totally disagree.  If Brahme has a different definition of God, then that
 is a different story.

>Remember the rich also ocassionally require help. Where would they go if
>there was'nt any one like Rajneesh around?

  Does that mean the poor go to the rich when in need of help?

jeff@rtech.UUCP (Jeff Lichtman) (10/02/85)

> I fail to understand why some people criticize Rajneesh & his activities. I
> am not aware of his preachings but just reading the criticism against him, i
> feel i should say my bit...
>
>  There is no reason for the  local christians to be angry with his teachings.
> They can believe what they want to. Can't they be tolerant to people whose
> beliefs do not coincide with theirs?

When the guy moves into an established town and takes it over, harassing the
natives and bringing in derelicts to vote in local elections (thus changing the
outcome to what *he* wants), it tends to be a little annoying.  Why should
someone tolerate behavior like this?
--
Jeff Lichtman at rtech (Relational Technology, Inc.)
"Saints should always be judged guilty until they are proved innocent..."

{amdahl, sun}!rtech!jeff
{ucbvax, decvax}!mtxinu!rtech!jeff

vohra@ut-sally.UUCP (Pavan Vohra) (10/03/85)

In article <10400002@uicsl> brahme@uicsl.UUCP writes:

>>..... (So much for Rajneesh's claims to being a God......)
>
>...First of all there is nothing wrong in someone claiming to be a GOD! ....
>
>>  "...His teaching that there is no God (besides himself, of course) ....

	Has he ever claimed to be God?  On Nightline a few nights ago (with
	Charlie Gibson - Ted had the night off), Rajneesh (yes, one of his
	rare press appearances) claimed he was not a leader - let alone a
	religeous leader.  He made an awful Nightline guest 'cause his answers
	were terse (one or two words, at the most a sentence).  Charlie also
	asked him to comment on the rumor that he has an arsenal of illegal
	weapons at his "hideout".  He said all weapons at the Ashram were
	legal.  Can't help but wonder if Rajneesh had anything to do with
	supplying weapons to the Golden Temple folk.  There may be a secret
	connection here which has yet to be discovered.  We all know he
	didn't get along with the Indain Government - they threw him out
	of India to begin with.  This may have been his way to get back at
	them.

					pavan.

-----
Arpa: vohra@sally.utexas.edu