[net.nlang.india] Re. Visas at Toronto

kailar@sunybcs.UUCP (Sudha Kumari Kailar) (10/11/85)

> Subject: Re: Re: Visas at Canada

> As I believe it, one does not need a visa to re-enter the US if one's
> stay in Canada does not exceed 30 ( or 7, I can't remember ) days.  So

That's right, if you are reaching back here within 30 days.

> all one really has to do is go to the US consulate before but close to
> the "grace period" expiration date and request a new visa on the
> grounds  that you want to stay on in Canada for a couple more days
> than the "grace period."  There is no need to mention any planned trip
> to India.

I was suggested by friends NOT to mention any planned trip to India
but to some place in Europe (esp. where you would have language barrier)
Luckily, the need did not arise.  I was NOT asked why I am applying for visa.

>          I was in  Canada this winter and did obtain a visa this way
> ( I did legitimately need it to re-enter the US! ).  By the way, all
> this  applies to a J-1 visa.  I don't know how things work for other
> non-immigrant visas.
> --
> Atul C. Khanna

I do not know if there has been a change of
policy, but I got (last month) multiple entry
F1 visa for 1 yr.  (the rest of my intended stay)

I had several factors working against my getting
visa again such as change of major, change of program,
change of school, original multiple entry visa
expired (in may 85), unsupported -> supported student
[but not visa type change except I was on D/S],
relatives in this country for many years and so on.
{ orig. visa from Madras }

I was NOT asked why I am applying for visa.

Incidentally, this was the Toronto Consulate.
Since then, another friend of mine got
multiple entry F1 visa. (She came on F2, changed
status, multiple entry expired) She was NOT
asked why she was applying for visa either.
{ orig. visa from Delhi }

I have at least two other friends here who got
their visa recently.

Good luck folks.  Don't get too hopeful but I
thought it worth a try since I also had heard
from a friend who did not get visa in early
summer from the same consulate that they simply
gave his passport back to him without marking
on it that he applied for visa there.

Sudha Kailar

P.S. Amazing how close Buffalo is to Toronto
     It took half a day (round-trip), no classes
     missed; inspite of the fact that there was
     heavy rush at the consulate.