we had several months back:

From: <kumar@hplabsc Mar  5 >

> India as a country does not figure too prominently in the news
> media in the United States, but when it does, it is more often
> depicted as a poor, hot, overcrowded, undernourished, ex-British
> colony, rather than the new, emerging nation that it is.  Few of
> my American-born friends are free from the stereotype of India
> that the media cultivates.

Has something really happened in these few months?  At the government
level, I see little change, if any. The relations between India and the
US have not changed much as evidenced by the recent decision from the
state dept. refusing India's request for a CRAY and suggesting six VAX'es
instead (due to defence reasons).  So what are the reasons behind
this? Or is it all a temporary phase?

Of course, the festival of India has indeed had an effect on the
imagination of the media. Also the image of a young, vigorous
leader in such a vast soporific country has an element of drama. It
may also be (as suggested by the NYT article (10/23)) that Rajiv
has already managed to assume a leadership role in global politics.

Whatever the reasons, the media coverage of India seems to have
gone up a notch, at least for the time being, and I can only hope that
this will lead to increased awareness and maybe an improvement in
the undeservedly poor relations between these two large democracies.

					- Amitabha Mukerjee (khuto)

	UUCP:	..!{allegra, decvax, seismo}!rochester!amitabha
	ARPA:	amitabha@rochester.arpa

reddy@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (10/27/85)

I recall that when Reagan gave a national address about the KAL flight
downing, he quoted Times of India, and it was the only newspaper he quoted.
I guess the American Govt. is paying more attention to India, in general,
compared to the last few years.

das@orstcs.UUCP (das) (10/31/85)

    Maybe it just boils down to Rajnesh or Rajiv !

--------

p.s: Believe it or not Oregon State offers a course Rajnesh or Ghandhi !