[net.nlang.india] Some interesting points raised by Mr. Ajemi

ganpaty@ut-ngp.UUCP (S.Ganapathy) (12/01/85)

This note would just address two points raised by Mr.
Ajemi in his response to Velu's posting reg. relations
between India and Israel. Mr. Ajemi states that
traditional Indian culture is closer to apartheid ?
I am just curious Mr. Ajamei knows what he is talking
about ? Even though aspects such as the caste system
and untouchability etc. are some of the undesirable
vestiges of the Indian setup to compare it to apartheid
is downright outrageous.
The second point is Gandhi's acceptance of subjugation
of the blacks in South Africa. I am sure Ajemi's view
is grossly wrong. I think those who want to be informed
about Gandhi's life in South Africa should his autobiography
" MY experiments with truth ".
Surprisingly some folks do not unwittingly fail to expose
their bias, prejudice and ignorance. But I guess if
we finally get informed then the end result is not all
that bad.

raghu@ut-sally.UUCP (Raghu Ramakrishnan) (12/02/85)

In article <2662@ut-ngp.UUCP> ganpaty@ut-ngp.UUCP (S.Ganapathy) writes:

>about ? Even though aspects such as the caste system
>and untouchability etc. are some of the undesirable
>vestiges of the Indian setup to compare it to apartheid
>is downright outrageous.

Why?

(PS: Please don't misinterpret this as an endorsement of Yakim Ajemi's views!)

dss00@amdahl.UUCP (dss00) (12/03/85)

In article <3688@ut-sally.UUCP> raghu@ut-sally.UUCP asks:

> Why?

Because the Indian caste system is a social evil and needs to
be dealt with in a manner similar to the manner in which
the race problems in the U.S. have and are still being dealt
with.

Apartheid, on the other hand, has legal sanctions and the
support of a GOVERNMENT. Apartheid refuses even to acknowledge
the equality before law.

The victims of caste system in India have same legal rights and
protections as any one else. In fact they have been given prefered
treatment in matters such as education and government jobs. So
the problem now is only one of a social nature and will hopefully
get corrected completely with time and efforts of people concerned.

In a nutshell, caste system does not have the might of a government
behind it.
--

Deepak S. Sabnis ...!{ihnp4,hplabs,amd,nsc}!amdahl!dss00    (408) 746-6058

(Usual Disclaimer Here)

gopal@cad.UUCP (Gopal Srinath) (12/03/85)

In article <3688@ut-sally.UUCP>, raghu@ut-sally.UUCP (Raghu Ramakrishnan) writes:
> In article <2662@ut-ngp.UUCP> ganpaty@ut-ngp.UUCP (S.Ganapathy) writes:
>
> >about ? Even though aspects such as the caste system
> >and untouchability etc. are some of the undesirable
> >vestiges of the Indian setup to compare it to apartheid
> >is downright outrageous.
>

> Why?
>
> (PS: Please don't misinterpret this as an endorsement of Yakim Ajemi's views!)
The govt is not suppressing the untouchables, unlike in S. Africa. Individuals
may still discriminate. Everyone has the right to vote and preferential
treatment is given to all oppressed classes by the govt thru reservations for
jobs, education and legislative seats!  People belonging to 'oppressor - social
or economic' communities are forced to pay for the sins of their forefathers
- seats/jobs are not available even if they have merit. Incentives are given
for inter-caste marriages etc.
This is a far cry from the situation in S. Africa.
A parallel is the US - the govt is non-discriminatory tho some individuals do
discriminate against blacks, women atc. One would not claim apartheid exists in US.
That's why apartheid in S Africa cannot be equated with social discrimination
by individuals in India.

sridhar@tekchips.UUCP (S Sridhar) (12/04/85)

> In article <2662@ut-ngp.UUCP> ganpaty@ut-ngp.UUCP (S.Ganapathy) writes:
>
> >about ? Even though aspects such as the caste system
> >and untouchability etc. are some of the undesirable
> >vestiges of the Indian setup to compare it to apartheid
> >is downright outrageous.
>

> Why?
>
> (PS: Please don't misinterpret this as an endorsement of Yakim Ajemi's views!)

Yes Ganapathy, I too would like to know why? The comparision may not
be entirely accurately but why is it downright outrageous ?

martillo@hector.UUCP (Yakim Martillo) (12/05/85)

I had the impression that caste was an intrinsic part of Indian religion
and is described in documents as old as the Laws of Manu and that until
quite recently the laws of caste were enforced by local Indian governments
as part of Hindu religious law.

In any case the effects of caste seems more deleterious than apartheid both
actually and psychically.  After all, I don't have the impression that
Africaners go and perform ritual ablutions if the shadow of a black falls
upon them.

Further, I would think that practising caste because it is socially acceptable
is less justifiable than practising apartheid because the government
enforces the practise of apartheid.

Essentially, the authors are saying de facto apartheid (caste) is less an
evil than de jure apartheid.  That argument did not wash for discrimination
and segregation in the USA.

By the way Ajami is my mother's name.  Normally, I should be referenced as

		 Mr. Martillo or Mr. Martillo Ajami.

Joachim Carlo Santos Martillo Ajami

sk@duke.UUCP (Sanjaya Kumar) (12/06/85)

In article <182@hector.UUCP> martillo@hector.UUCP (Yakim Martillo) writes:

>After all, I don't have the impression that
>Africaners go and perform ritual ablutions if the shadow of a black falls
>upon them.

Dear Mr. Joachim Carlo Santos Martillo Ajami

      After years of performing ritual ablutions whenever the shadow of
a person of unknown caste fell upon me, I have invented and patented
a rather ingenious device that saves me the trouble.
      It is now being test marketed in North America and the state of
Madhya Pradesh as "Kumar's Halo (Save yourself a washup!)". In the
unlikely event that you have missed the commercials plugging this device,
(and at the risk of breaching net etiquette) here is a brief description:
      "Kumar's Halo" basically comprises a headband (worn, of course,
around the head) with numerous (512 to be exact) tiny halogen bulbs