[net.sf-lovers] SF-LOVERS WHERE ARE YOU?

DOET@AFCC-3.ARPA@caip.RUTGERS.EDU (03/07/86)

From: MSgt Robert L. Stevenson  <DOET.AFCC@AFCC-3.ARPA>

Hello out there.  Is anybody listening?

It seems (by the lack of digests) that the subscribers to SF-LOVERS have run
out of things to say (or flame about).  Now I know that I am not a volumnous
contributor to SF-LOVERS, but I really enjoy reading the comments/criticisms of
others.  As was stated in an earlier digest, I look for those whose opinions
about science fiction parallel my own.  Then when  a comment is made about a
book/movie/TV program/etc. I can have a fairly good idea if I will enjoy it.

Speaking of enjoying things, I really enjoy Amazing Stories.  To date I have
found very little to complain about.  In fact so little that it isn't even
worth bothering the net with it.

Looking forward to hearing from SF-LOVERS,

I remain

---Steve---
DOET.AFCC@AFCC.ARPA

holloway@drivax.UUCP (Bruce Holloway) (03/10/86)

In article <1438@caip.RUTGERS.EDU> DOET@AFCC-3.ARPA@caip.RUTGERS.EDU writes:
>Speaking of enjoying things, I really enjoy Amazing Stories.  To date I have
>found very little to complain about.  In fact so little that it isn't even
>worth bothering the net with it.

Are you talking about the MAGAZINE Amazing Stories, or the TELEVISION SERIES?

My wife and I stopped watching Amazing Stories after the nth story about
misunderstood kids in various forms and flavours. We prefer more adult
flavours in our anthologies, like Twilight Zone....

A case in point: Both series did "Three Wishes" sketches. In the Amazing
Stories version, three kids catch a leprechaun who grants them three wishes,
one each. They wish for the ability to see through girl's clothing, the
ability to control their parents, and a "state-of-the-art" car. Very
pedestrian, very predictable.

"Twilight Zone" showed a more realistic version, where a woman wishes to
be rich, beautiful, and to make her ex impotent.... and how she is thwarted
at every turn by bureaucracy. At one point, her "wish consultant" had her
sign disclaimers stating that "the first wish usually turns out okay, the
second isn't quite what you wanted, and the third is usually used to undo
the first two."

|Whatever I write are not the opinions or policies of Digital Research, Inc.,|
|and probably won't be in the foreseeable future.                            |

Bruce Holloway

....!ucbvax!hplabs!amdahl!drivax!holloway
(I'm not THAT Bruce Holloway, I'm the other one.)