[net.nlang.india] Bajwa's posting

murali@think.ARPA (Muralidhara Subbarao) (01/27/86)

> Of late, there has been a lot of talk (in other newsgroups) about the
> cost of transmitting an article. While I understand that this report
> may be of interest to many people, I think it is inappropriate to
> put it on the net without finding out if it is indeed worth the cost.
> If the author's estimate is correct, the length of this article is
> about 100 pages! It might be better, in future, to inform netters about the
> availability of the document and then, depending on the response, put
> it on the net.

     In situations such as this, I think that it is a good idea
to first give the context and summary of the report and then
include some EXCERPTS from the original which the author thinks
are most effective (or important). It is not worth anyones
efforts to (compose and) type in an article that is more than about
200 lines because few people are going to read letters longer
than this (I mean at least 50% of the letter).

   Brevity is a courtesy which the authors owe the readers.

                                      murali.

dss00@amdahl.UUCP (dss00) (01/28/86)

In article <4105@think.ARPA>, murali@think.ARPA (Muralidhara Subbarao) writes:
> > Of late, there has been a lot of talk (in other newsgroups) about the
> > cost of transmitting an article. While I understand that this report
> > may be of interest to many people, I think it is inappropriate to
> > put it on the net without finding out if it is indeed worth the cost.

I disagree. Let's not find excuses to stifle oppesing opinions.
You may not like or agree with details in a report. The length
is of no consequence when vital issues are involved.

>      In situations such as this, I think that it is a good idea
> to first give the context and summary of the report and then
> include some EXCERPTS from the original which the author thinks
> are most effective (or important).

And then we can accuse Mr. Bajwa of selecting only parts supportive
of his opinion. No Sir. I prefer information unedited.
I do not agree with Mr. Bajwa's perceptions, but I respect his
right to post.

--

Deepak S. Sabnis ...!{ihnp4,hplabs,amd,nsc}!amdahl!dss00    (408) 746-6058

(Usual Disclaimer Here)

Where the mind is without fear; And the head is held high
Where knowledge is free;
Where the world has not been divided into narrow domestic walls;
Where the clear stream of reason has not lost its way,
in the dreary desert sand of dead habits;
Into that Kingdom of Heaven my Father, let my country awake.

                                 -- Rabindranath Tagore