[net.nlang.india] Indian Entertainment Scene:Forwarded Mail

vijaykm@jason.berkeley.edu.BERKELEY.EDU (Vijay K Madisetti) (01/30/86)

Date: 29 Jan 86 19:24:19 EST
From: BHATNAGAR@red.rutgers.edu
Subject: Desh Kee Baaten II
To: iitnet@ernie.berkeley.edu

Firstly  about  "Desh  Ki Baaten I". I am thankful to Kamal Gupta, Rajiv Jog, S
Sankar, Siddhartha Chattarjee and many others for responding and providing some
of  the  missing information. 'The very smart quiz master' of QUIZ-TIME happens
to be Siddhartha Bosu the smart lady is, of course, Kavita  Agrawal.  Siddartha
Chattarjee  also  pointed  out that AIR Calcutta also had a weak FM transmitter
about which I did not know. It was also mentioned by  him  that  India's  first
electronic phone exchange was in Salt Lake City, Calcutta and not in Kanpur. My
friend who recently qualified in general studies paper  of  the  Civil  service
Exam told me that it was in Kanpur! Well, till we confirm pick your choice.

			Talking of the Country II
			-------------------------

TV Serials:

The serial "Hum Log"( We People, literal translation) had started in summer 84.
For those of you who have no idea about it, Hum Log serialized the day  to  day
problems  of  a  middle  class  New  Delhi  family.    Each of its episodes was
'philosophically' introduced and summarized by none  other  than  Ashok  Kumar.
Right  from  the  beginning  it  attracted  a  lot  of attention but no one had
expected that it will continue for more than 18 months ( mostly weekly but some
times  bi-weekly  ).  It ended during my stay after over 150 episodes and I saw
many sad faces and heard discussions about its virtues. A cartoon by Sudhir Dar
in  next  day's  Hindustan  Times  best  epitomized the feelings- "A crying and
mourning family with the caption- they were so attached to Hum  Log".    It  is
said  that  so  intense  was  the  viewer's  involvement  in  Hum Log that they
practically wrote the stories themselves, sharing their ideas, suggestions  and
worries  about  the  Hum  Log  family with real writers through Phone Calls and
letters.  Incidentally, all serials of Hum Log have been bought by the  BBC  to
be shown on their channel 4. No wonder we might also eventually get them on our
Indian networks here. Though I have my doubts about its relevance here.

A series of serials followed. 'Shriman  Shrimati'  (  About  a  mod  couple  of
Bombay),  'Yeh Jo hai Jindagi', very well known 'Rajani' etc.  were some of the
other popular serials of  this  period.  'Yeh  Jo  Hai  Jindagi'  and  'Rajani'
produced  what  can  be termed as 'India's first TV Stars' in Shafi Inamdar and
Priya Tendulkar (readers of India Today would already be familiar).

As it always happens, this series of serials has now reached a little too  far.
At  the  moment  doordarshan has over 500 serials waiting to be shown. It seems
the omnipresent bribe, pull and corruption have crept in here  also.  Currently
most  of  the  serials  are  very  ordinary.  One of them 'Nukkar' (Corner of a
street), about a 'chaal' of Bombay is almost obscene and, surely, is not  worth
showing on the TV.

Among this crowd three current serials 'Karm Chand Jasoos', 'Vikram aur Betaal'
and 'Panchtantra Ki Kahaniyan' are  worth  a  mention.  Karm  Chand  is  indian
version  of Sherlock Holms, he in each of his episodes solves a crime. With his
rather crooked style of talking and his strange gestures, you might  take  time
before start liking him. 'Vikram and Betaal' is based on good old 'chanda mama'
stories. 'Panchtantra ki Kahaniyan' ( has potential  for  being  translated  in
western languages and being shown in these parts of the world.

In  this  period India's first TV feature film was also made. It was 'Janam' by
Mahesh Bhatt featuring Kumar Gaurav and Shernaz Patel. An excellent film by all
                                       2

standards!

Decline of Radio:

With the betterment of TV the radio seems to be going out of the households. As
per a study conducted by Operation Research Group of Baroda a very big majority
of  the  TV  owning  families  were  relying on TV news to get their daily news
quota. This study was conducted in the four metropolitan  cities  (B'bay,  Cal,
Madras  and  Delhi)  and  in Delhi, Bombay and Calcutta less than 10% of the TV
owning families were found to be still relying on Radio for their  news  input.
In  Madras this figure was marginally higher and rested on 12%. In my own house
once upon a time (listening to) 8:45 PM Hindi and 9:00 PM English news bulletin
on  AIR used to be a daily ritual, I donot know if they are still aired at this
time or not!

Similarly, in view of  Doordarshan's  direct  telecast  of  Benson  and  Hedges
internationals,  AIR  decided  not  to  give any running commentary atall. This
caused a lot of problem during power cuts/failures and travel.

Films:

Very quickly. Rajesh Khanna is still fighting his losing  battle.  Anil  Kapoor
and  Jacky  Shroff  are  the  current  leading  men. Kumar Gaurav got a virtual
resurrection after his 'Janam'. Raj Babbar is  doing  ok.  Mr  Bachchan  had  a
successful  movie  in  'Mard'  and  he  still occasionally shuttles between the
parliament and the studio. Leading ladies; may be Sri Devi is still on top  (or
who  knows!).  Amrita Singh also got an arm in the shot by the success of Mard.
'Star Dust' is now published in Hindi too with the same name.

In spite of onslaught of the video,  I  did  not  notice  any  great  sense  of
emergency  in  the  film  industry.  However, even big directors are now paying
attention to the TV as a more convenient medium of expression.

Family Welfare:

Family planning seems to be a top priority of the current government and  those
who  can  get  close  to the Medical and Administrative circles at the district
level can notice a clear air of urgency over there. I would rate the current FW
drive  as  semi-voluntary, in that, very few people walk in the hospital to get
an operation but at the same time no one  is  handcuffed  and  brought  to  the
hospital  to be operated (as, allegedly, happened during 75-77). A great amount
of campaigning, monetary incentives, village level pressure  goes  behind  each
operation.  Public  awareness  for a negative or zero growth rate of population
seems to be, as ever, missing.

Tourism:

India is getting outward bound. It is not difficult to see advertisements of  n
days  and  (n-1)  night  tours for (100*m-1) rupees to some fancy land in daily
newpapers and magazines. Vayudoot seems to be doing a good  job  as  a  support
airline. They fly to as small destinations as Haridwar and Dehradun. They
go up north, down south and remotest far east. It seems that  air  travel  will
                                       3

become  affordable  to atleast a little larger section of our population in not
too far a future.

Rajiv Gandhi went for a Reagan style 'private vacation' (a couple of  days,  if
not a week,long) to a virtually unknown national park in Rajasthan (Ranthumbor-
sorry    for possibly incorrect spelling) with his family and friends (who else
but   Mr. Amitabh Bachchan). And 'to protect the environment' the party refused
a generator set and managed with only lanterns.  Good  God.  After  RG's  visit
Ranthumbor observed a change of fate. The tourist traffic to that national park
increased many folds.

Magazines:

Magazine boom started many years ago and is still going on. The book stalls are
loaded  with  colorful  covers  of  English, Hindi and regioanal magazines. One
magazine to take note of was 'Frontline'. It is  a  news  magazine  from  Hindu
publishing  group of Madras and is famous for the quality of it beautiful color
photographs. It is not yet a threat of India Taday, nevertheless it  maintained
a graceful existence.

This  boom  has  also given birth to several substandard magazines. Yesterday's
freelancers have become today's editors. One such magazine that I read cover to
cover  to  enjoy  its editorial flaws was 'Savvy' a women's magazine editted by
Ingrid Albuquerque. A 'Woman of the Month story', a story on a child rape  case
and  a  story  on  a  'young woman entrepreneur' and I bet you have a brand new
magazine.

An interesting episode about this.  At  Kanpur  Railway  station  I  asked  the
A.H.Wheeler  agent  to  give  me  an English Magazine of less than 5 bucks or a
Hindi magazine of more than 5 bucks. Only Sarvottam (Hindi Reader's Digest) and
Sunday (Editor M.J. Akbar of telegraph group) qualified.

Rest later. Thanks for reading, responding or simply deleting.

-------
________
END OF BHATNAGAR's FORWARDED MESSAGE>

______ vijay madisetti.  vijaykm@medea.berkeley.edu