[net.nlang.india] Some Ideas from India: Laws of

jayasim@uiucdcsb.CS.UIUC.EDU (01/29/86)

	In the base note Ramamohan Paturi asks, "Which Indian does not know
what Hinduism really is ?"

	It is difficult to point out those Indians but a quantative guess
can be easily made :

many,
many, many,
many, many, many, ...

--
D N Jayasimha,
U of Illinois, C-U

paturi@harvard.UUCP (Ramamohan Paturi) (01/31/86)

In article <141700067@uiucdcsb>, jayasim@uiucdcsb.CS.UIUC.EDU writes:

> 	In the base note Ramamohan Paturi asks, "Which Indian does not know
> what Hinduism really is ?"
>
> 	It is difficult to point out those Indians but a quantative guess
> can be easily made :
>
> many,
> many, many,
> many, many, many, ...

Sure. Even many Hindus do not know several things regarding Hindu philosophy and
other such things. Also many (even educated) Indians do not know their history,
but for some myths.

Perhaps, I will put my rhetorical question in proper context so that the
intended meaning will be clearer: The topic is social problems in Indian
society. The defensive responses tried to give a glorified picture of Hinduism
to correct the image. Then the (perhaps, sarcastic) question is: Which Indian
does not know what Hinduism "really" is? (You can only fool foreigners at best.)

-Ramamohan
paturi@harvard