[net.nlang.india] Jim Corbett's man-eater books?

samanta@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Samanta) (02/17/86)

Can anyone please tell me if the books written about man-eaters
by Jim Corbett are available in the US?  My husband has expressed
his wish to own them, and I would like to give them as a gift, if
I can find them.  If not available in the US, then where?
I would appreciate any help you can give me.

Mary Samanta (topaz!samanta)

santosh@cheviot.uucp (Santosh Shrivastava) (02/20/86)

In article <4440@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> samanta@topaz.UUCP writes:

>Can anyone please tell me if the books written about man-eaters
>by Jim Corbett are available in the US?  My husband has expressed
>his wish to own them, and I would like to give them as a gift, if
>I can find them.  If not available in the US, then where?
>I would appreciate any help you can give me.

        As far as I know, they are out of print in the West. Corbett's
books were published by Oxford Univ. Press (if I remember correctly),
but they were not available in the UK. I got all of them from India,
where they are very easy to get, especially in New Delhi. Do not
forget to acquire "the man eating leopard of Rudraprayag"-- one
of Corbett's best!
        On the subject of Man Eaters, books by Kenneth Anderson
(also set in roughly the same period) are also very good. He used to
hunt in the South. I believe, Rupa Paper Backs of India have published all
Corbett an Anderson books.

Santosh Shrivastava - Computing Lab., Univ. of Newcastle upon Tyne
  ARPA : santosh%cheviot.newcastle@ucl-cs.ARPA
  UUCP : <UK>!ukc!cheviot!santosh
 JANET : santosh@uk.ac.newcastle.cheviot