From mwg@petrus.UUCP (Mark Garrett) Wed Feb 19 09:08:34 1986
From: mwg@petrus.UUCP (Mark Garrett)
Newsgroups: net.internat,net.legal,net.med
Subject: Re: Where are drugs (opiates) legal?
Date: 19 Feb 86 15:08:34 GMT

++
>      Does anybody out there know of any countries where the use of opiates
> and/or other drugs for personal or recreational purposes is legal?
> 					 John Bashinski

In India there are holy men (people? - I didn't see any women doing this)
who generally wear saffron colored robes and roam around the country in
search of enlightenment.  They don't own anything and must beg for their
food etc.  Some of them use optiates (and maybe other drugs) in the process
and this is socially accepted.  There are also many westerners or former
westerners - literally leftover hippies - who have discarded their
visas and passports to do the same thing (although I would guess their
rate of enlightenment is somewhat lower).  It is relatively easy to get
drugs there.  I don't know if they are technically illegal, but Indian
society generally frowns upon drug use among its own people and doesn't
care much what the others do.  There is one holiday in the winter though,
(something to do with colors, I forget the name) which includes the use
of bhang, which I've heard is pretty potent stuff.

A few years ago some friends of mine were in Agra.  When they stopped
for a lassi (a drink made from yogert), one of them got the 'special
lassi' because it only cost an extra nickel (american).  After some time
he thought he was getting sun stroke because he was so dizzy.  When he
went to lie down, the other guy went back to the store to find that the
special lassi was special because it has bhang in it.  Jim was releived to
find out it was only drugs.

-Mark Garrett

das@orstcs.UUCP (das) (03/08/86)

/***** orstcs:net.nlang.indi / gumby!g-kacker / 10:39 am  Mar  6, 1986*/
>Subject: Drugs (opiates) legal in India ?
>
>>      Does anybody out there know of any countries where the use of opiates
>> and/or other drugs for personal or recreational purposes is legal?
>> 					 John Bashinski
>
>In India there are holy men (people? - I didn't see any women doing this)

 Oh yes! There are woman too!

>who generally wear saffron colored robes and roam around the country in
>search of enlightenment.  They don't own anything and must beg for their
>food etc.  Some of them use optiates (and maybe other drugs) in the process
>and this is socially accepted.  There are also many westerners or former
>westerners - literally leftover hippies - who have discarded their
>visas and passports to do the same thing (although I would guess their
>rate of enlightenment is somewhat lower).  It is relatively easy to get

Benaras is the place too see all this. It is the holy bathing town of India,
and a must visit for all Hindus.

>drugs there.  I don't know if they are technically illegal, but Indian
>society generally frowns upon drug use among its own people and doesn't
>care much what the others do.  There is one holiday in the winter though,
>(something to do with colors, I forget the name) which includes the use
>of bhang, which I've heard is pretty potent stuff.

The festival is Holi, indeed a colourful one, sometimes get's out of hand
especially in eastern U.P. and Bihar, but still quite enjoyable.

>A few years ago some friends of mine were in Agra.  When they stopped
>for a lassi (a drink made from yogert), one of them got the 'special
>lassi' because it only cost an extra nickel (american).  After some time
>he thought he was getting sun stroke because he was so dizzy.  When he
>went to lie down, the other guy went back to the store to find that the
>special lassi was special because it has bhang in it.  Jim was releived to
>find out it was only drugs.

Bhang during holi is very common, what might cause problems though
is the addition of datura (normally poisonous), this may add to the kick, but
can result in food poisoning.

das@orstcs