[net.nlang.india] American Medico's experience in Indi

das@orstcs.UUCP (das) (03/25/86)

>Subject: American Medico's experience in India (LONG!)
>

>     Following is the reproduction of an article published in the April 1986
>     issue of DISCOVER magazine .It is authored by Ms Perri Class ,a fourth
>     year medical student at Harvard Medical School.She has described her
>     impressions and reactions to a stint of medical training in an alien
>     land (in India).
>
>     The people look different.The  examining  room  is  crowded  with
>children  and  their  parents,gathered  hopefully  around the doctor's

I found the previous article very, very interesting because I had a similar
experience when I was at college in India. Being used to medical
benefits by default of my father's job, I never really knew what it is
like to fall sick in rural India.

It so happened that one of my friends needed serious medical treatment  and
having nobody to subsidise the costs, I took him to a government hospital.
After entering the hospital and looking around the place I asked the
doctor if my friend is going to come out alive. He laughed
and said that people come here from far away villages, with very little money,
and they take the free medicine that the hospital provides and still go back
healthy, your friend is in great shape (he was right!). Since there
was nobody to look after my friend, I (helped by a few others) decided to take
it up as a full time (unpaid) job to spend sleepless nights in the hospital.
It was during that time that I got to talk to people from remote villages,
other patients, their friends, doctors, interns, nurses, and it was only
then that I learned where India really lives, how ever much one prefers
to glorify Indian cities, India lives (and dies) in it's villages.

Basically we don't need doctors from Harvard or Boston or anywhere else.
What we really need is somebody who is ready to take up challenges,
be less money minded, and a certain degree of self sacrifice.
There are some states in India where graduating medics
should serve a minimum of 3 years in rural locations before taking up
any other job. Certain Government hospitals require it's
doctors to serve certain days of every week in rural areas. Then there are
voluntary health services where flourishing professionals work almost free
in a government facility (certain days in a month) so that people
may get access to some of the best medical talent.

I am not saying that the system is perfect, there are many loopholes and
problems, but I cannot imagine something like here in USA being tried
out in India, I don't even want to think about it!
-----
das@orstcs
...!hp-pcd!orstcs!das