[net.nlang.india] A suggestion regarding the use of human examples

paturi@harvard.UUCP (Ramamohan Paturi) (03/25/86)

In article <24300100@orstcs.UUCP>, das@orstcs.UUCP (das) writes:

> We did have a student studying here who had a similar background
> as your's. My feeling after talking to him (1 year's acquaintance) is
> that he did not understand India or it's problems at all, nor did
> he understand Indian students and their problems either. The
> interesting thing about him was that he used to visit the
> Black Cultural Center out here, and when we all got into a
> discussion on discrimination and minorities in USA, he was surprisingly
> indifferent (????) to the whole affair. Ofcourse he was very active in the
> local India Association, and never hesitated to invite non-Indians and talk
> to other exotic people about how great India is, and this and that.
> To him India was a happy vacation. I find it a bit funny when such people
> talk about going back and serving India and being Indian etc, etc.
>    I did get along with him as a friend but I have found more friendly
> people among students from Middle East, and Latin America who have no
> connection at all with India, other than knowing the fact that it is
> overpopulated.
> -----

	Perhaps, it may not be appropriate to cite the behavior of a person who
	can not possibly respond. This can at best help to form or to reinforce
	prejudices and stereotypes.

	-Ramamohan
	paturi@harvard