[net.sources.mac] Ram disk?

stew@harvard.ARPA (Stew Rubenstein) (02/15/85)

been a while, I guess, and it's only about 3.5K bytes total...

From: John W. Peterson <JW-Peterson@UTAH-20.ARPA>
Subject: Ram disk driver for 512K macs.

Once you have the file ramstart.rsrc, here's how to bring the Ramdisk up:

1) Use macput to transfer ramstart.rsrc to a mac disk.

2) Using the Resource Mover, do the following:
	a) Select ramstart.rsrc and open it.
	b) Select the INIT resource (#3), use the Copy (in the Edit menu)
	   to put it on the clipboard.
	c) Close ramstart.rsrc and open the system resource (System).
	d) Paste the INIT resource into it, close System, then exit Rmover..

What this does install a special piece of initialization code that
defeats the normal Mac habit of using all available memory for the heap.
Instead, it forces it to use a specific amount (about 180K or so).  Note
this new system will ONLY boot on a 512K mac.

3) Reboot with the new system.

4) Start the RamStart application.  When it finishes, the Ramdisk should
appear on the screen.

5) Copy System and Finder (or the entire System Folder) to the RamDisk,
as well as any applications and files you want to use.  To make the
RamDisk the startup disk, hold the Command and Option keys down, point
to the RamDisk's Finder and double-click it.

Note steps 1-3 only need to be performed once.  Since RamStart is pretty
small, I usually keep it on the disk, and make it the "Startup"
application.

Also, you need to keep two things in mind: 1) don't forget to save files
you want to keep to a real floppy, and 2) NEVER eject the RamDisk
(there's no way to stick it back in...)
(This file must be converted with BinHex.Hex)
#APPLCCOM$0000
***COMPRESSED
***RESOURCE FORK
(    0    0    #     &\
(
(
(
(
(
(
(
(    !@    H   "      @    @   _/  !J?    #X
(     %.N@">3E8  "Q?3E7_^I_M !!.N@"40F=(>@!&
($ZZ )@[7__^0J<O.@ T/SP "JF@*U__^B\M__JIDC\M
(/_^3KH *DZZ &I.74ZZ %Q.=4Y>3G7204U35$%25  .
($125E((+G)A;61I<VL < RE'D)H  IP TA ,"\ !*!.
($'Z  J@#R!?5$].T
(     -"KP 03G5.=2!?3EU.T"!?3E4  $[0(&\ !$)O
(  (GOP ("]( !)";P 60F\ &D*O !P@3Z  9A P+P 8
(-[\ " _0  (+I].=7  8/"!   (    [    .)/
(       ' !, )0 E "4"2Y286UD:7-K,4CG__X@/  !
($  4T!R "9\  *  ";!4<C__$'Z &(B?  "A !P/Z N
($S??_]P $YU2.<?^"9\  *  " I ! "@/___@#7P"AH
(  @("@ )"%  "@&@    ?\"@/___@ ,*  #  =F!B!,
(")+8 0@2R),H"Y,WQ_X<  O. C\3G72UP
(       !  $ )X   @   !    (     0">!U)A;41I
('-K !0P*  :4T!F!$#G3G-=0&8$<.]@N# \_^]@L@
(  *(?P  H   0Q.=0
(
(
(
(
(
(
(
(    0    0    #     &\  2J0 %P    < &8  DE.
($E4    &D125E(    F0T]$10 ! #(  ___   !_@ !
("O   H  $   1@   N   #__R       2O<  '__S0
(  <  $J@ @N<F%M9&ES:TUE<W-A9V4@;G5M8F5R(# P
!S P,# P, H
***END OF DATA
***CRC:9A4D
--
Stew Rubenstein     UUCP: ihnp4!harvard!stew