[net.sf-lovers] ST episode

drm@stc.co.uk (02/28/86)

The Star Trek episode "Assignment: Earth" has just been shown here.

The Enterprise returns to 1968 Earth for 'historical research' and
finds an agent (Gary Seven) who is human but has been brought up in
a much more advanced civilization (and thus has a liberal supply of
interesting gadgets). At the end of the episode (after saving Earth
from WW III) Kirk tells Seven that, having studied Earth's future,
he knows that Mr Seven is in for a very interesting time.

This looked very much as though they were hoping for a spin-off
series for Gary Seven (lots of futuristic gadgets but conveniently
set in 1968).

Can anyone out there confirm or deny this and, if it's true,
was such a spin-off series ever started ?

---
D. R. Monksfield

"There aren't any REAL people here at all..."

ccrdave@ucdavis.UUCP (Lord Kahless @ Imperial Propoganda) (03/03/86)

> The Star Trek episode "Assignment: Earth" has just been shown here.
>
> This looked very much as though they were hoping for a spin-off
> series for Gary Seven (lots of futuristic gadgets but conveniently
> set in 1968).

The episode was a pilot for a spinoff that didn't sell.  So it goes.

			{dual,lll-crg,ucbvax}!ucdavis!vega!ccrdave
	| 	     "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. |
	| Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched |
	| C-Beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All |
	| those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.   |
	| Time to die."  -- Roy Baty, Nexus6, N6MAA10816, Combat    |

thornton@kcl-cs.UUCP (ZNAC468) (03/03/86)

In article <309@davaar.tcom.stc.co.uk> drm@stc.UUCP (David Monksfield) writes:

>The Star Trek episode "Assignment: Earth" has just been shown here.
>This looked very much as though they were hoping for a spin-off
>series for Gary Seven (lots of futuristic gadgets but conveniently
>set in 1968).
>Can anyone out there confirm or deny this and, if it's true,
>was such a spin-off series ever started ?
>D. R. Monksfield

	YES! This episode also doubled as a pilot for a proposed series
but 'no network nibbled'. The source for this is STARLOG #1 many moons ago.
	A series developed from this could have been...interesting.
	The episode itself mainly concerned itself with launching this series,
 lulling most of the people watching it (5-6 in my room) into thinking:
 'WHERE HAS STAR TREK GONE? '. When two familiars did finally turn up :
 'AHH..STAR TREK! I REMEMBER THAT...'.
	A few minor points: Was the girl's IQ and shoesize really comparable?
	Did  ISIS really look vulcan? Was Sevens' plot device
a 'sonic screwdriver' rip off? Was this episode really boring? (.ah.um.yes!!.)

					Roll on 'Spocks Brain'. <squelch>

					Andy T.
( OUR RETALIATION WILL BE SLOW..IT WILL TAKE AT LEAST THIRTY TWO EPISODES..)
( WE ARE DEALING WITH A SCRIPT WRITER WE DON'T COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND!.)

sjs4310@wucec2.UUCP (03/06/86)

In article <309@davaar.tcom.stc.co.uk> drm@stc.UUCP (David Monksfield) writes:

>The Star Trek episode "Assignment: Earth" has just been shown here.
. . . . . . .
>This looked very much as though they were hoping for a spin-off
>series for Gary Seven (lots of futuristic gadgets but conveniently
>set in 1968).
>
>Can anyone out there confirm or deny this and, if it's true,
>was such a spin-off series ever started ?

Yes, Gene Rodenberry (sp?) was planning to produce just such a spin-off.
No, the series never made it onto television.

						-SJS

karl@cbrma.UUCP (Karl Kleinpaste) (03/07/86)

thornton@kcl-cs.UUCP (PUT YOUR CAT HERE) writes:
>	A few minor points: Was the girl's IQ and shoesize really comparable?

Probably.  You should notice that the actress was Teri Garr at the age
of about 19 or so, whom you would readily recognize from Young
Frankenstein (as the sexpot assistant), Close Encounters (as Richard
Dreyfuss' wife), Mr Mom (the working wife), and other more recent
movies.  People seem to view the revelation of Garr in Star Trek much
the way they view Joan Collins' presence in `that other episode' (no,
I will not try to use an acronym), with much wonder and amazment.
--
Karl Kleinpaste

mw9@psuvm.bitnet.UUCP (03/15/86)

In article <309@davaar.tcom.stc.co.uk>, drm@stc.co.uk says:

>The Star Trek episode "Assignment: Earth" has just been shown here.
>
>This looked very much as though they were hoping for a spin-off
>series for Gary Seven (lots of futuristic gadgets but conveniently
>set in 1968).
>
>Can anyone out there confirm or deny this and, if it's true,
>was such a spin-off series ever started ?

This has been much talked aobut on the net.  Yes, that episode
was a pilot for Gary Seven, but no the series was never made.
-------

Michael S. Weiss
The Pennsylvania State University
MW9@PSUVM.BITNET

<* The opinions expressed by me do not reflect those held  *>
<* by my school nor those of my employer.  (If I had one.) *>