[net.sources.mac] the utility of net.sources.mac

andrews@ubc-cs.UUCP (Jamie Andrews) (11/08/85)

In article <6121@utzoo.UUCP> henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
>                          ...  Are you willing to prove it by using groups
>like net.sources.mac to publish things that are of use to non-Mac users,
>i.e. NOT JUST MAC-SPECIFIC BINARIES?!?
     This is an easy one, so I'll field it even though I don't have a Mac,
because Henry is just my most favourite guy on the net :-).  If it were of use
to non-Mac users, Henry, it would have no Mac-specific code, ie. it could only
be used by a Mac in dumb scrolling mode, ie. it could be used by everyone, ie.
it should go in net.sources.  The ".mac" part, Henry, means that it's software
designed specifically for the Mac, y'see.  :-)

>Yes, the net helps you:  what have you done to return the favor?
     We support the other newsgroups that don't seem to be of any use to some
of us (e.g. net.politics).  That's the way it is for all of us; we carry
newsgroups we're not interested in so that other people will carry newsgroups
that we are interested in.
     Say that tomorrow, utzoo magically became a leaf node and mplvax the
backbone site it was connected to, and the SA at mplvax decided "hey, all these
irrelevant Vax-specific newsgroups are useless, let's not carry them."  I doubt
you'd say that the backbone SAs should have the power to decide what newsgroups
to carry.  Oh, you would?

Parent: "Now Terry, don't hit Chris like that.  Would you like it if Chris
         came up to you and hit you?"
Terry (indignantly, lying through teeth): "Yes."

--Jamie.
...!ihnp4!alberta!ubc-vision!ubc-cs!andrews
"Oh, my Lolita, I have only words to play with"