[net.sources.mac] Help! digital music

set@ihwpt.UUCP (S. E. Thornton) (02/24/86)

I am having trouble playing the "Glen Fry-Digital Music" posted in early
February. The symptoms are:

	1) double-click the SoundPlay application. It creates a window
	   with the names of the files it seems to think it can play.
	2) I click on the Glen_Fry item in the menu. In about 10 seconds
	   SoundPlay exits with no music or messages.

"Glan-Fry" is a document. If I try to double-click on it, the Finder
says there is no application to open that document.

Any ideas as to what is happening?

Thanks,
Steve Thornton
AT&T Bell Labs
ihesa!set

haj1@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Greg Hajek) (02/27/86)

In article <723@ihwpt.UUCP> set@ihwpt.UUCP (S. E. Thornton) writes:
>I am having trouble playing the "Glen Fry-Digital Music" posted in early
>February. The symptoms are:
>
>	1) double-click the SoundPlay application. It creates a window
>	   with the names of the files it seems to think it can play.
>	2) I click on the Glen_Fry item in the menu. In about 10 seconds
>	   SoundPlay exits with no music or messages.

SoundPlay reads the entire music file into memory before playing it (have you
ever noticed the buzzing noise MusicWorks makes when it accesses the drive whileit's playing a song?).  Now, the Glen Frey music file was, if I remember right,
~111k... that doesn't leave any elbow room on a 128k Mac.  Try it on a 512.

--
"Violence on television only affects children whese parents act like television
 personalities" -- Talking Heads

Greg Hajek
U. of Chicago           ...ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!haj1
Laboratory for Astrophysics and Space Research