[net.sf-lovers] Prehistoric Earth = Middle Earth?

vnend@ukecc.UUCP (D. W. James) (11/25/86)

>                                         There is no way we can prove that
>"The Lord of the Rings" is not the actual pre-history of the earth, though
>I admit it doesn't seem likely.
>
>ucbvax!brahms!gsmith     Gene Ward Smith/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

	My first reaction when I read this was:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

	Then I reconsidered. My second reaction was: hahahahaahhahaha.
:-)
	You must be kidding. Besides plate tetonics and the square cube law?
That the earth was once flat and now it's not? That one of the stars was(is?)
a glowing gem on a ship?
	LOtR is fantasy written as legend. It is a DAMN good story. But the
pre-history of Earth? I think not.
	As for the serious side of your posting (conserning SF vs. Fantasy),
I generally let the author decide. If he/she says it's whatever then it is,
else.... Now, if it purports to be SF and violates the square-cube law or
does something equally silly then it is an annoyance, but generally I just
let it go. Most of the stuff I just file as 'alternate universe' stuff and
say that thier physical laws are subtley different than ours. As long as
the story is INTERNALLY consistant I don't mind. To that end, J.R.R.T.
definately said that he intended it as fantasy, ergo...

Later y'all,             Vnend            Ignorance is the Mother of Adventure.
**UUCP:cbosgd!ukma!ukecc!vnend;                CSNET:vnend@ecc.engr.uky.csnet**
************BITNET:cn0001dj@ukcc.BITNET (but only as a last resort)************

gsmith@brahms (Gene Ward Smith) (11/26/86)

Expires:

In article <832@ukecc.UUCP> vnend@ukecc.UUCP (D. W. James) writes:

>>                                         There is no way we can prove that
>>"The Lord of the Rings" is not the actual pre-history of the earth, though
>>I admit it doesn't seem likely. [Gene Smith]

>	My first reaction when I read this was:
>HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>	Then I reconsidered. My second reaction was: hahahahaahhahaha.

>	LOtR is fantasy written as legend. It is a DAMN good story. But the
>pre-history of Earth? I think not.

   Well, reconsider your reconsideration for a moment. What are some of
the things that happen in Tolkien's universe? At one point, a flat earth
is turned into a round one. Illuvatar is all powerful, and may at a later
time have made further changes, so that the Sun is a ball of gas, etc.
etc. In the end, enough changes might get made that all that is left are
a few legends about gods, elves, dwarves and Atlantis; and a phony past
substituted in the rocks of the Earth and the quasars of the newly made
cosmos.

ucbvax!brahms!gsmith    Gene Ward Smith/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720
Imagine what the world would be like if football was a worthy ritual performed
in stadiums but mathematics was a misunderstood activity ignored by almost all.