[net.sources.mac] EFS problem

wirya@rpics.uucp (Santa Wiryaman) (05/30/86)

Has anybody been able to run John Seamons' EFS successfully?
EFS is a program that allows the mac to have a UNIX directory as an external
disk.  I tried to run my copy of EFS, but it gave me an error "The disk needs
a minor repairs."  Clicking the OK or Ignore buttons gave another error
"Couldn't create the desktop file."
My system configuration is:
   Mac plus -- AppleTalk -- Kinetics gateway + software -- Ethernet -- Sun 2
   running 4.2 BSD UNIX.
Looking at the diagnostics printed on the Sun, it seems the mac and the Sun
are communicating.
Could somebody give me some help to fix this?  Thanks in advance.

--
Santa Wiryaman
wirya%rpics.csnet@csnet-relay	ARPA

RPI
Computer Science Department
Troy, NY  12180

rb@ccird1.UUCP (Rex Ballard) (06/07/86)

In article <40@rpics.uucp> wirya@rpics.uucp (Santa Wiryaman) writes:
>Has anybody been able to run John Seamons' EFS successfully?
>EFS is a program that allows the mac to have a UNIX directory as an external
>disk.  I tried to run my copy of EFS, but it gave me an error "The disk needs
>a minor repairs."  Clicking the OK or Ignore buttons gave another error
>"Couldn't create the desktop file."
>My system configuration is:
>   Mac plus -- AppleTalk -- Kinetics gateway + software -- Ethernet -- Sun 2
>   running 4.2 BSD UNIX.

I am not familiar with this particular package, but am familiar
with a few RFS (EFS) techniques.

With this package, who does the directory traverse?  Does the Mac
create, traverse,... or does the Sun?

Some of the older servers (on other systems) let the workstation
do the traverse.  Essentially, the host just have the node some
"space", and the node would just request and send "blocks" to
the host.  If this is the case, a server geared to a VAX wouldn't
work on a Sun (Little-endian vs. Big-endian, different I-node
formats,...).

Assuming this is not the case, and that there are no encryption,
flow control, or related comm. problems, you might need to see
if you have the right server, if the "desktop" file was in fact
too big (trying to read in the whole unix hierarchy into core),
or if there is anything "funny" in your directories (control
characters, illegal symbols, etc.)

You might also need make sure you haven't triggered any
copy-protection schemes.

These questions might at least get you started in the right
direction.