[net.news.stargate] Listen to phone calls on your tvro

djw@lanl.ARPA (09/04/85)

The $350-$500 Stargate project hardware that Lauren Weinstein (sp?) is working
on would be quite useable here; don't cha think?

I believe that you overrate the expense and difficulty factors;  but, I can't
see any reason to do most of this listening even though it would be quite
easy.  BUT; with the downlink from Usenet on WTBS's subbands and free, there
is a very real probability that I will obtain one of Lauren's boards to
go with my tvro setup and my ( as yet imaginary ) general coverage receiver
and my MacIntosh...

Dave Wade
WB5PFS

lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) (09/06/85)

The Stargate hardware doesn't include a TVRO!  It's decoding and
buffering equipment for the particular vertical interval signals
on which Stargate resides.  It has nothing to do with receiving
other sorts of signals.

By the way, just to correct a point of fact--the service (if it ever
becomes a service as opposed to an experiment) won't be "free"--there
will have to be some (hopefully quite modest) monthly fee associated
with the service.  The data (due to the very design of the vertical
interval system) will already be pretty heavily scrambled.  Some
sort of fee is absolutely necessary since we are NOT being given
the channel bandwidth in the vertical interval for free forever!

At such a time as we go into a service mode, then we're going to
have to pay the uplink people for the use of that bandwidth.  Luckily,
since they consider Stargate to be an extremely interesting and unique
"electronic publishing" non-profit-type project, we will be
paying fees much, much less than what would normally be the case.

--Lauren--

dsi@unccvax.UUCP (Dataspan Inc) (09/06/85)

    It seems that I remember a case involving a youth who intercepted a
wireless telephone call from a neighbour. This kid evidently was able to
pick up one side of the wireless phone call because it was above the AM
band. The subject of the calls were arrangements to purchase and distribute
cocaine. This child told his mother, who called the police; which in turn
spent several more days listening. THIS WAS NOT HELD TO BE WIRETAPPING
because the radio facilities were not common carrier but part 15 devices.
They got a conviction (and one of the principal defences of the coke
trafficker was that it was an illegal wiretap).

     Interception of common carrier telephone facilities, wire, coax,
microwave, satellite, whatever; I am assured by a prominent Washington
attorney, is technically wiretapping.

David Anthony
CDE
DataSpan, Inc

    P.S. I didn't realize that the satellite calls were SSB/FDM. How many
percent are using FDM and how many TDM-digital?

djw@lanl.ARPA (09/06/85)

In article <782@vortex.UUCP> lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) writes:

>At such a time as we go into a service mode, then we're going to
>have to pay the uplink people for the use of that bandwidth.  Luckily,
>we will be
>paying fees much, much less than what would normally be the case.

As you know from our other conversations; Lauren, I would be happy to pay
a reasonable fee for this service.  I already have the tvro and wouldn't
need much more than your board attached to my Luxor.  If usenet doesn't
do this it will still be done; but in a much less professional manner.
Something like the "Daily Schedule" currently broadcast on some of the
channels, curiously reminiscent of Commodore 64 printout format.  And I'll
bet that a "real product" might interest the NASA people who have "many"
transponders just sitting there "going to waste" when the shuttle isn't
up...

      Arpanauts ahoy:  How do you get the vertical blanking interval
for an unmoderated arpanet that we can use?  And then;  where can the
Usenet be gatewayed into it?

By the way, Lauren;  I really appreciate what is going on here about
Stargate...  I want to publically thank your communications company that
is willing to allow us the vertical blanking interval of the TBS channel
from Atlanta.

In the words of the prophet Baha'u'llah
"We are all leaves of one tree"
Imagine what Usenet could be if every site were a leaf; and could /dev/null
everything that their SA didn't like... ( Come to think of it; I've WORKED
at places like that! )

The Majareshe (sp?) broadcasts over his satellite link to his faithful
followers ( and anyone else with a tvro and a little curiosity ) most
every evening.  Does your Guru?

Just sitting here thinking about what Lauren said about the emminent
demise of Usenet - as we know it.

Dave Wade

lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) (09/08/85)

That is correct.  Under current law, it appears that listening
to cordless phones

prg@mgweed.UUCP (Phil Gunsul) (09/09/85)

>     Interception of common carrier telephone facilities, wire, coax,
>microwave, satellite, whatever; I am assured by a prominent Washington
>attorney, is technically wiretapping.
>
>David Anthony
>CDE
>DataSpan, Inc

ONLY if I use what I hear!!  I can listen as much as I want, I just
can't use or repeat it.  Maybe you better explain that to your
prominent Washington attorney.

Phil Gunsul -- WB9AAX

john@anasazi.UUCP (John Moore) (09/11/85)

In article <20281@mgweed.UUCP> prg@mgweed.UUCP (Phil Gunsul) writes:

>>     Interception of common carrier telephone facilities, wire, coax,
>>microwave, satellite, whatever; I am assured by a prominent Washington
>>attorney, is technically wiretapping.
>
>ONLY if I use what I hear!!  I can listen as much as I want, I just
>can't use or repeat it.  Maybe you better explain that to your
>prominent Washington attorney.

Not true! You are referring to the sectoion 605 of the Communications Act.
Common carriers are protected (by different rules) from interception. Those
rules have been used to prosecute (for example) MDS HBO listeners.

--
John Moore (NJ7E)
{decvax|ihnp4|hao}!noao!terak!anasazi!john