[net.news.stargate] stargate may be tm of datapoint

tp@ndm20 (05/24/86)

>< Datapoint has announced a product it calls Stargate. It provides a gateway

>since we've been using it for at least a year and a half now. :-)

Does  anyone  remember  PC-NET?   Orchid Technology  swiped the name.
There  was  a  lot  of  discussion  of  this,  with  the some lawyers
participating.   The consensus  was that  the PC-NET  group had prior
claim, but if they failed to challenge Orchid on it  for long enough,
Orchid  would  be  able to  hold on  to it.   It  seems any published
article that substantiates the claim to the name  is sufficient proof
of prior claim, but to hold on to a  name, it  must be  defended.  If
nobody does anything  for about  6 months,  you might  as well rename
stargate, because by then Datapoint will be able to  sue the stargate
project and win.

Disclaimer - I'm not a lawyer, and  the PCnet  thing was  a couple of
years ago, so don't take any of this as gospel.   I  do think someone
should check it out.

Terry Poot
Nathan D. Maier Consulting Engineers
(214)739-4741
Usenet: {seismo!c1east | cbosgd!sun | ihnp4}!convex!infoswx!ndm20!tp
CSNET:  ndm20!tp@smu
ARPA:   ndm20!tp%smu@csnet-relay.ARPA

lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) (05/27/86)

I'm contacting Datapoint.  There may or may not be a conflict between
a product trademark and a service mark/name such as "Project Stargate"
or "Stargate Information Service."  However, in any case, I'm pointing
out our prior use and the various published places where the name
has been used.

--Lauren--

paulg@hammer.UUCP (05/29/86)

> >< Datapoint has announced a product it calls Stargate. It provides a gateway
>
> >since we've been using it for at least a year and a half now. :-)
>
> Does  anyone  remember  PC-NET?   Orchid Technology  swiped the name.

This same type of thing happened with "Star Wars".  Lucas also waited too long.

Paul J. Gilliam

	{decvax,ucbvax,...}!tektronix!tekecs!paulg        uucp
	tekecs!paulg@tektronix                            csnet address
	tekecs!paulg.tektronix@csnet-relay                arpanet

mulligan@umt.UUCP (Scott Mulligan) (06/01/86)

In article <931@vortex.UUCP>, lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) writes:
> I'm contacting Datapoint.  There may or may not be a conflict between
> a product trademark and a service mark/name such as "Project Stargate"
> or "Stargate Information Service."  However, in any case, I'm pointing
> out our prior use and the various published places where the name
> has been used.
>
> --Lauren--

Lauren,

  I believe that the name "Stargate" may have been used a few years ago
by a video game company for one of their games.  Sorry I don't remember
which company produced "Stargate" but if you wish to followup on this
the folks that read net.games might be able to help you.

			Scott Mulligan

Scott Mulligan
University of Montana - Computer Center
Missoula, Montana
(406) 243-5455
{ucbvax,lll-crg}!ucdavis!umt!mulligan

ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) (06/02/86)

In article <291@umt.UUCP> mulligan@umt writes:
>In article <931@vortex.UUCP>, lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) writes:
>> I'm contacting Datapoint.  There may or may not be a conflict between
>> a product trademark and a service mark/name such as "Project Stargate"
>> or "Stargate Information Service."  However, in any case, I'm pointing
>> out our prior use and the various published places where the name
>> has been used.
>>
>> --Lauren--
>
>Lauren,
>
>  I believe that the name "Stargate" may have been used a few years ago
>by a video game company for one of their games.  Sorry I don't remember
It is Williams Electronics (out of Chicago, I believe)
StarGate was the successor to the popular Defender game.
They've licensed the game to other companies (Atari?, etc)
but I'm not sure what the status of the trademark is, assuming
they have one.  They may not challenge anyway, if they're not
doing very hot.  The Datapoint problem is probably more serious,
given that both involve communications networks, etc.
--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.

Internet: ralphw@c.cs.cmu.edu		Phone: (412)CMU-BUGS