[net.news.stargate] How-To

pozar@well.UUCP (Tim Pozar) (06/09/86)

  I may of missed the announcement... How/Where do I write to receive
information to build/buy a decoder for Stargate?
                         Tim Pozar
 ______________________________
|                              |
| UUCP: ihp4!hplabs!well!pozar |
| Fido: 125/406 Sysop          |
|______________________________|

In article <1246@well.UUCP> pozar@well.UUCP (Tim Pozar) writes:

>  I may of missed the announcement... How/Where do I write to receive
                                                ^---< WHEN?
>information to build/buy a decoder for Stargate?
>                Tim Pozar UUCP: ihp4!hplabs!well!pozar

I like the stargate idea, less Laurens 100% moderation ideology, but I
can't help but think a monthly status report would make the net feel
that there is really somthing being accomplished, and that stargate may
somday be a reality...

--
George Robbins - now working with,	uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!grr

honey@down.FUN (Peter Honeyman) (06/10/86)

george robbins requests a monthly status report on stargate to
make the net feel good.

stargate is partially funded by the usenix association.  periodic
status reports are presented to the association's directors and
reported in ;login:, the association's newsletter.  all usenix
members receive ;login:.

	peter

In article <699@down.FUN> honey@down.FUN (Peter Honeyman) writes:
>george robbins requests a monthly status report on stargate to
>make the net feel good.
>
>stargate is partially funded by the usenix association.  periodic
>status reports are presented to the association's directors and
>reported in ;login:, the association's newsletter.  all usenix
>members receive ;login:.
>
>	peter

Come on - The idea is not to make the net 'feel good', but to inform net
users about a possible alternative to the status quo.

What level of confidence do you think the average news administrator has that
Stargate will really happen?  I can't help but think that a little more
information would generate more faith and perhaps even more support.

There are a lot of people on the net, who for one reason or the other, aren't
members of usenix and may have never seen ;login: - It wouldn't take much
effort to post the status reports to usenet also, now would it?
---
I'm more than ready to quite titheing AT&T any time, even if I have to go
and buy one of those satellite dishes out of my own pocket...
--
George Robbins - now working with,	uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!grr

joel@gould9.UUCP (Joel West) (06/12/86)

In article <699@down.FUN>, honey@down.UUCP (Peter Honeyman) writes:
> george robbins requests a monthly status report on stargate to
> make the net feel good.
>
> stargate is partially funded by the usenix association.  periodic
> status reports are presented to the association's directors and
> reported in ;login:, the association's newsletter.  all usenix
> members receive ;login:.

The updates to ;login: are not monthly and there is a lead time for
publication.  Those of us who are not on the board (including,
unfortunately, peter) will find out about this only irregularly.

since stargate would, theoretically, supplant usenet in some ways,
I think the idea of a monthly status report is a good one.  If
not, maybe we should rmgroup net.news.stargate.
--
	Joel West	 	(619) 457-9681
	CACI, Inc. Federal, 3344 N. Torrey Pines Ct., La Jolla, CA  92037

glc@akgua.UUCP (glc) (06/12/86)

George Robbins asked:
>What level of confidence do you think the average news administrator has that
>Stargate will really happen?

Perhaps I have rose-colored glasses, but my feeling as the "akgua"
backbone administrator is that stargate will indeed really happen.

The people behind it are tenacious!  They are putting in a lot of
time cajoling/convincing/conniving the folks in positions that make
the concept viable.  Likewise, the necessary hardware is being
designed to work in a world where the local site administrator doesn't
know *beans* about electronics and won't pay much real cash for the
black box.

As in so many cases, the hardware side can be set up a lot quicker
than the "people" side.  Remember, one of the fundamental premises
of stargate is getting free rides from the satellite TV world.
That takes some careful diplomacy!

Cheers,
  Lindsay

Lindsay Cleveland  (akgua!glc) (404) 447-3909   Cornet 583-3909
AT&T Technologies/Bell Laboratories ... Atlanta, Ga

honey@down.FUN (Peter Honeyman) (06/13/86)

i've never supported the idea of using stargate for netnews.
(see matthew 7,6.)

i take it your suggestion that net.news.stargate be removed
was in jest.

	peter

reid@decwrl.DEC.COM (Brian Reid) (06/14/86)

In article <701@down.FUN> honey@down.FUN (Peter Honeyman) writes:
>i've never supported the idea of using stargate for netnews.
>(see matthew 7,6.)

Peter:
which are the pearls and which are the swine?
Brian

cycy@isl1.ri.cmu.edu (Christopher Young) (06/15/86)

>i've never supported the idea of using stargate for netnews.
>(see matthew 7,6.)

What the heck is the reference onthe second quoted line above
supposed to mean?

					-- Chris Young.
arpa: cycy@cmu-ri-isl1
uucp: {...![arpa/uucp gateway (eg. ucbvax)]}!cycy@cmu-ri-isl1

> I can't help but think a monthly status report would make the net feel
> that there is really somthing being accomplished...

Given a choice between accomplishing something, and making the net feel
that something is being accomplished, Lauren appears to prefer the former.
I agree.  Don't joggle his elbow, he's up to his eyeballs in tricky
negotiations right now.
--
Usenet(n): AT&T scheme to earn
revenue from otherwise-unused	Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

> ... How/Where do I write to receive information to build/buy a decoder
> for Stargate?

You didn't miss the announcement, there hasn't been one yet.  When they
become widely available, I'm pretty sure Lauren will let us all know.
It will have to be "buy", not "build", because there is a fair bit of
proprietary technology involved.  (It's also a bit complicated for a
do-it-yourself project; this is not a low-quality low-baud-rate system,
and things like cable TV systems can mangle signals pretty badly.)  In
fact, it may end up being "rent" rather than "buy", since there will be
real on-going expenses involved.
--
Usenet(n): AT&T scheme to earn
revenue from otherwise-unused	Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
late-night phone capacity.	{allegra,ihnp4,decvax,pyramid}!utzoo!henry

> ...  Those of us who are not on the board (including,
> unfortunately, peter) will find out about this only irregularly.

Since there is real new news only irregularly, irregular status reports
are perfectly reasonable.

> since stargate would, theoretically, supplant usenet in some ways,
> I think the idea of a monthly status report is a good one.  If
> not, maybe we should rmgroup net.news.stargate.

Oh, grow up.  Lauren is doing the work on this project, and hence has the
right to call the shots to some degree.  Especially since he's not getting
paid for it.  (Nor is his employer supporting it -- he's an independent
consultant who has no big daddy supporting him.)  Just because he doesn't
feel like producing monthly reports saying "no openly-discussable progress
this month, folks" is no reason to talk about rmgroups.
--

lawitzke@msudoc.UUCP (06/18/86)

>(matthew6,7)  or was it 7,6? (ed)
>>what is that

It's obviously a biblical reference, I assume it's the that goes to the
effect :  Yeah, let your communication only be yeah, yeah, nay,nay

it was a plea to binary, but I'm not the original poster

--
John H. Lawitzke                            UUCP     ...ihnp4!msudoc!lawitzke
Dept. of Electronic and Surface Properties

mikel@codas.ATT.UUCP (Mikel Manitius) (06/20/86)

> You didn't miss the announcement, there hasn't been one yet.  When they
> become widely available, I'm pretty sure Lauren will let us all know.
> It will have to be "buy", not "build", because there is a fair bit of
> proprietary technology involved.  (It's also a bit complicated for a
> do-it-yourself project; this is not a low-quality low-baud-rate system,
> and things like cable TV systems can mangle signals pretty badly.)  In
> fact, it may end up being "rent" rather than "buy", since there will be
> real on-going expenses involved.
> --
>                              	Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

Please NO! Do you realize how badly the local cable companies will
mangle this service, if they have the slightest bit of control over
anything! Inferior devices, high rental costs, and ignorance from
cable companies will be what you'l get.
--
			Mikel Manitius @ AT&T-IS Altamonte Springs, FL
			...{seismo!akgua|ihnp4|cbosgd}!codas!mikel.ATT.UUCP

In article <377@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
>What level of confidence do you think the average news administrator has that
>Stargate will really happen?  I can't help but think that a little more
>information would generate more faith and perhaps even more support.

Close to 100%.  Say, 96.53%, not having calculated recent actuarial
data for Lauren and possible successors [;-)].  Seriously, it  w i l l
happen.

>There are a lot of people on the net, who for one reason or the other, aren't
>members of usenix and may have never seen ;login: - It wouldn't take much
>effort to post the status reports to usenet also, now would it?

I was going to reply that it was as easy as sending in a (small)
membership fee to Usenix at P.O.Box 7, El Cerrito CA 94530, and
getting membership and a free subscription to ;login:.  However,
the last few issues I can find have no mention of what regular and
student rates are!  The conference program suggests that $15 buys
a half-year "normal" membership.  Write (or call: 415-528-8649)
and ask.
--

	Joe Yao		hadron!jsdy@seismo.{CSS.GOV,ARPA,UUCP}
			jsdy@hadron.COM (not yet registered)

In article <1011@isl1.ri.cmu.edu> cycy@isl1.ri.cmu.edu (Christopher Young) writes:
[no attribution, but it was honey@down]
>>i've never supported the idea of using stargate for netnews.
>>(see matthew 7,6.)
>What the heck is the reference onthe second quoted line above
>supposed to mean?

"Do not give what is holy to dogs or toss your pearls before swine.
They will trample them under foot, at best, and perhaps even tear
you to shreds."  New American Bible, Benziger Inc., 1970 / Matthew,
the Evangelists, ca. AD 85.
--

	Joe Yao		hadron!jsdy@seismo.{CSS.GOV,ARPA,UUCP}
			jsdy@hadron.COM (not yet registered)

In article <362@msudoc.UUCP> lawitzke@msudoc.UUCP (John Lawitzke) writes:
[no attribution]
>>(matthew6,7)  or was it 7,6? (ed)

Sheer serendipity -- I love it!  Matthew 6, 7 is:
"In your prayer, do not rattle on like the pagans.  They think they
will win a hearing by the sheer multiplication of words."
Appropriate.
--

	Joe Yao		hadron!jsdy@seismo.{CSS.GOV,ARPA,UUCP}
			jsdy@hadron.COM (not yet registered)

In article <362@msudoc.UUCP> lawitzke@msudoc.UUCP (John Lawitzke) writes:
>>(matthew6,7)  or was it 7,6? (ed)

Sheer serendipity -- I love it!  Matthew 6, 7 is:
"In your prayer do not rattle on like the pagans.  They think they
will win a hearing by the sheer multiplication of words."  (Op cit)
Sure sounds like netnews.	;-)/2
--

	Joe Yao		hadron!jsdy@seismo.{CSS.GOV,ARPA,UUCP}
			jsdy@hadron.COM (not yet registered)

> Please NO! Do you realize how badly the local cable companies will
> mangle this service, if they have the slightest bit of control over
> anything! Inferior devices, high rental costs, and ignorance from
> cable companies will be what you'l get.

Nobody (last I heard) is planning to have local cable companies involved
in renting the receivers or managing the service.  The point is that a
good way for many people to *receive the signal* is by getting WTBS from
their local cable company.  This means that the receiver must be robust
enough to cope with a signal that's gone through a typical cable system.