[net.politics.theory] Emigration vs. withdrawing from a group

mwm@ucbtopaz.CC.Berkeley.ARPA (02/01/85)

In article <87@ucbcad.UUCP> faustus@ucbcad.UUCP writes:
>> >But I cannot agree with arguments that there is no justification for taxation
>> >or other such group fees as union dues.
>> Ahh, how subtly it slips by.  Almost escapes one's notice.  Taxation is a
>> "group fee"?  Sure am glad to know I can cancel my membership at any time,
>> and can seek redress in the courts if I get screwed.
>You CAN cancel your membership at any time. It's called "emigration".
>	Wayne

Sorry, Wayne, but emigration isn't quite like cancelling your membership in
a group. The problem is you have to go to another group. To use Sevener's
"union dues" example, the situation we have now is like working for a
company where you *have* to belong to a union. Not any particular union,
but at least one. And should you be crass enough to try and start your own
union, the people in the union you are seceding from start shooting at you
(think of the two American civil wars).

	<mike